• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Campione! Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Ok I heard episode 1 covered the whole first novel pretty much and (I think) this is JC staff so can someone tell me how this handles the other novels.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
I basically have the opposite opinion. If it stuck purely with just the gods and battles bath, it would be pretty boring. As great as the action scenes are, it would just wind up being another shounen, another day, another god to conquer battle. It's the romantic comedy aspect that breathes life into the series and makes the characters compelling.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
I can sum up this anime faster then the review:
- nice women
- MC's not a wimp
- they talk WAY too much during battles
Farix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
Based on the comments in the review, Carlo doesn't appear to be a fan of romantic-comedies, especially when they "pollute" an action show. But in my view, if this was a pure action show, it wouldn't be interesting. You have to have something to humanize the characters, and the romantic-comedy aspect of the show does just that. Granted that Campione! isn't a great show, but it is entertaining enough for me to keep following the streams.
青白

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
Carlos forgot to mention all the Deep Kissings that occur every once in a while. In my opinion, it is just a cliched show in every aspect.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
Carlos forgot to mention all the Deep Kissings that occur every once in a while. In my opinion, it is just a cliched show in every aspect.

But they DID manage to make the deep kissing a plot point Very Happy
青白

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
青白 wrote:

Deep kissing doesn't have the right to be part of a plot point unless it is for parody or comedy purposes. If it is part of a plot point, it just makes the plot real lame and cliched. Carlos should have dedicated at least a sentence or two to criticize the attempt of adding Deep Kisses, because at least that was a huge reason why I stopped watching the show.
Farix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
青白 wrote:

Deep kissing doesn't have the right to be part of a plot point unless it is for parody or comedy purposes. If it is part of a plot point, it just makes the plot real lame and cliched. Carlos should have dedicated at least a sentence or two to criticize the attempt of adding Deep Kisses, because at least that was a huge reason why I stopped watching the show.

Doesn't have the right? That's pretty narrow minded. But I would argue against it is a cliché. Clichés are overused plot elements that have lost all meaning. I haven't see the "kiss to transfer knowledge" used all that frequently in fiction, anime or otherwise.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that this is enjoyable for me, some of it is a bit odd, but it is different enough, pretty enough, and interesting enough to keep my attention so far. One of a few shows I am watching weekly this season.
Eri94

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Deep kissing is cliche? Uh, what the hell shows have you been watching? I've watched anime for at least 10 years now, and even in extremely ecchi shows, I don't see much mouth action occurring. Hell, kissing in general seems pretty rare even for ecchi anime, boobs are fairly common, but kissing?
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I guess if you focus on specifically "deep kissing as knowledge transfer" then maybe it's not? Kissing/intimacy having magical properties is a concept used in quite a few shows though. Fushigi Yuugi, Yu Yu Hakusho, Negima, Fate/Stay...hell, as a fictional concept you can argue it goes back as far as Snow White, and it may have other origins in Eastern culture that I'm not aware of as well.
Farix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
I guess if you focus on specifically "deep kissing as knowledge transfer" then maybe it's not? Kissing/intimacy having magical properties is a concept used in quite a few shows though. Fushigi Yuugi, Yu Yu Hakusho, Negima, Fate/Stay...hell, as a fictional concept you can argue it goes back as far as Snow White, and it may have other origins in Eastern culture that I'm not aware of as well.

I didn't say that it doesn't occur in other series. Just that it doesn't occur frequently enough for it to be a cliché. Especially in the matter that Campione! uses it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
To me, the plot was confusing (too many things mixed), the pacing was on steroids (someone told me that an entire Light Novel was crammed into episode one and I believe them), and the characters were nothing special. Oh sure, it's nice to see a girl be forward, but I couldn't buy her claims of falling in love with the dude at first sight. As for the MC, he was pretty cookie-cutter, a guy we've seen countless times before and he didn't do or say anything to persuade me to keep watching.

Finally, the action was hardly impressive. I never thought I'd be bored to see spoiler[the Colosseum be destroyed by a giant boar,] but I had to stifle a yawn. I don't know how much (if any) I missed out on by watching the pre-air version of episode one, but the battle wasn't even a battle, there was barely anything in the way of actual action.

I just couldn't get invested in this show at all.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Ok I heard episode 1 covered the whole first novel pretty much and (I think) this is JC staff so can someone tell me how this handles the other novels.

This is NOT J.C. Staff. This is Diomedea (aka former Studio Barcelona), the studio that worked on Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica: Crimson S, Shinryaku! Ika Musume, and Astarotte no Omocha!

In other news, yes, the first episode basically rushed the "epic" first volume of the novel. Furthermore, the show has turned into a straight up harem show rather than properly explaining the rather interesting plot that has been evidently shafted into the background at this point. It "follows" the novels in the harem aspect but ignores the action and specific details regarding the various antagonists and new heroines it already has shown. Hence, the show feels like a complete mess with no foundation of a story even for someone like me who has read the novels.

Not even the "awesome" Mr. Narrator can come close to saving this show.
animefan425

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I basically have the opposite opinion. If it stuck purely with just the gods and battles bath, it would be pretty boring. As great as the action scenes are, it would just wind up being another shounen, another day, another god to conquer battle. It's the romantic comedy aspect that breathes life into the series and makes the characters compelling.

Exactly.
In fact, that article can hardly be called a "review", it's more like genre bashing than anything so it's pretty useless as a "review". It's like you put somebody who hates supernatural shows to review them and all they talk about is how ridiculous it is and how it "pollutes" the show. That kind of opinion is completely useless, it only says that the author hates that genre, nothing else.
Also, the problem with genre bashing like Carlo Santos is doing here, is that it not only insults the show, but also the viewers who are fans of the genre being bashed. If you say that "dumb harem comedy antics" ruins the anime, what are you saying of the people who are fans of "harem antics"? That they like "dumb comedy"? That they are responsible for having ruined the show (since if they didn't exist, the genre would be dead)? I think if you are going to review a show that contains action and "harem" elements, you need somebody who knows both action and "harem" elements since that the kind of audience is going to watch the show and read the review. It's ridiculous to have someone like Carlo Santos review "Campione!" since he clearly not only doesn't have the required knowledge of one of the main genres, he is also clearly biased against "dumb harem comedy antics" (as he describes it), so not only you end up with a useless "review" that says nothing to the fans of the harem genre, but you end up insulting the readers you were supposed to inform.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Personally, I would advise against watching the anime. At least before you read the novels (you can find them in bakatsuki) since the anime pretty much ruins the whole thing, I'd say. It's like watching a highly condensed and inferior version of the original novels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2