• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone know of Cons holding Karuta related events?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Whether it be panels on how to play, or demonstrations or actual gatherings where people play Karuta against each other. I've tried looking for program schedules for upcoming conventions but haven't seen any so far that have mentioned Karuta.

I guess outside of the Western audience who has seen Chihayafuru, no one really knows about this game.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Anyone know of Cons holding Karuta related events?

Since such a panel/demonstration probably needs persons who are fluent in Japanese and play kyōgi karuta, it may be kind of difficult to find it in anime conventions.
If you substitute reading articles for attending a mini-event, you may want to read these web pages.

http://karuta.game.coocan.jp/index.html
http://www.karuta.ca/009english.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competitive_karuta

P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about anyone organizing the event being fluent in Japanese. The only Japanese you need to know to actually play is the standard greeting at the beginning and end of the game. I have a program on my computer that acts as a card reader. And players don't even need to know hiragana if they can visually identify the card that goes with the poem (although that might be even more difficult than learning hiragana).

The only difficulty I see is becoming familiar with the actual 100 poems.
If you haven't memorized them (I haven't), playing the game will simply be guesswork and chance.

The basic premise of this particular type Karuta is to listen to the first verse of a random poem being read. The cards in front of you have the last verse of the poem written on them in hiragana. So to take a card you touch or swipe the correct card before your opponent does. You win when there are no more cards on your side (via sending or taking cards).
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I don't know about anyone organizing the event being fluent in Japanese. The only Japanese you need to know to actually play is the standard greeting at the beginning and end of the game. I have a program on my computer that acts as a card reader. And players don't even need to know hiragana if they can visually identify the card that goes with the poem (although that might be even more difficult than learning hiragana).

So, if there are a piece of software which recites the Hyakunin Isshu cards and a few 'I hardly know any Japanese, but I can match cards-to-be-read-out sounds with shapes of Japanese letters written on cards to be picked up in my head' gaijin, a kyōgi karuta match can be held? There may be some truth in what you say, theoritically. That way would lower hurdles.
As Maruya Saiichi said, 'そして、このやうにして成つた數多くの秀歌撰の頂點にあるものが、藤原定家の『百人一首』であつた(江戶以後の日本人に最も親しまれた歌書が『百人一首』であることは、念を押すまでもなからう)。' in a Shūkan Asahi article, I think it is better that kyōgi karuta players can appreciate Hyakunin Isshu as a collection of poems, though.
Anyway, good luck with finding an anime convention which has a kyōgi karuta-related event!

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1