×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio 4ºC's Full First Squad Trailer Streamed




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9322
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Finally (aside from DMC) 4C is doing something really awesome. Usually they just churn out pointless shorts for the sake of art. Seems like this one isn't retaining their characteristic ugly character designs though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teekay



Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Posts: 33
Location: San Diego, California
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
Animation looks great as expected from 4C. I like the way they're taking a well-tread premise (band of teens with super abilities) and doing something radically different with it (Soviets fighting Nazis in WWII). The way they seem to be mixing fantasy elements into an otherwise authentic-looking historical setting is intriguing as well. Looking forward to this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nicomorr



Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 127
Location: London, UK.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
Ah! Finally a project to revel in. Although I like their 'Arty' shorties, and enjoyed Tekkonkinkreet , Mind Game , Genius Party , The Animatrix, etc ..... I've been waiting for them to get their teeth into a really good traditional animation Anime film.

Looks like this might be it. The Russian synergy should work. The plot premise, young girl psychic enmeshed in the Eastern Front, Russian Intelligence, SS Occultism, yeehaa - RIGHT up my little allee.

Await this one with an eagerness not seen since Denno Coil.

Nico M
Wandsworth, hot & sunny Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plastique



Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Posts: 28
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
I actually really like their semi-experimental style, it just seems very new and alive to me, but it'll also be nice to see them do something more traditional. This looks like Yoshiaki Kawajiri's recent stuff, with the demon horse and all that. The premise sounds cool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edzieba



Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 704
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
Nice to see some more news, though pity there's no release date. If it's showing at Cannes Marche du Film, they're probably shopping around for overseas distributors.
It may not be the most original premise, but it looks like they're taking some cues from Russian animation too, so it should have that wonderful 'awesome but creepy' vibe to it (see There Will Come Soft Rains, an adaptation of a Ray Bradbury short story).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3492
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the plot description - from that trailer alone, I couldn't tell you what on earth this is about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
jdnation



Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 2017
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm very much looking forward to this! I hope it plays during the Toronto Film Festival!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7272
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Looks good. Seems vaguely reminiscent of Blood: The Last Vampire.

Does anyone happen to know what format this will be in? ANN lists it as an OVA but that could mean a lot of things. I'm wondering if it will be shorter multiple episodes or a single movie length production.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9322
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Looks good. Seems vaguely reminiscent of Blood: The Last Vampire.

Does anyone happen to know what format this will be in? ANN lists it as an OVA but that could mean a lot of things. I'm wondering if it will be shorter multiple episodes or a single movie length production.


Knowing Studio 4C it could either be a full length movie or 10 minutes long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nobinobita



Joined: 07 Mar 2006
Posts: 75
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The story seems interesting. The animation is a bit disappointing though. It doesn't seem to have the high quality movement and interesting character designs and drawing style that are characteristic of Studio 4C. I wonder if they are branching out and growing. Maybe this was animated by their junior animators?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edzieba



Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 704
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Does anyone happen to know what format this will be in? ANN lists it as an OVA but that could mean a lot of things. I'm wondering if it will be shorter multiple episodes or a single movie length production.
Since the announcement that it was going to be made feature-length after the initial music video I've always heard it referred to as a full movie, so I'm guessing ANN just need to update their page on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7272
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:37 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Does anyone happen to know what format this will be in? ANN lists it as an OVA but that could mean a lot of things. I'm wondering if it will be shorter multiple episodes or a single movie length production.
Since the announcement that it was going to be made feature-length after the initial music video I've always heard it referred to as a full movie, so I'm guessing ANN just need to update their page on it.


Not necessarily. I may be mistaken but I think ANN may differentiate between movies and OVAs based on whether they get a theatrical run of some kind. This I think may not making it an OVA regardless of it's length or what they choose to call it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
nicomorr



Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 127
Location: London, UK.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:
The story seems interesting. The animation is a bit disappointing though. It doesn't seem to have the high quality movement and interesting character designs and drawing style that are characteristic of Studio 4C. I wonder if they are branching out and growing. Maybe this was animated by their junior animators?

Be good if someone like Ben Ettinger took a look, or another person familiar with 4C animators.

I actually prefer this style - less frenetic and less preciously modern. Better for serious story-telling, but that's just old me.

Nico M Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edzieba



Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 704
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Not necessarily. I may be mistaken but I think ANN may differentiate between movies and OVAs based on whether they get a theatrical run of some kind. This I think may not making it an OVA regardless of it's length or what they choose to call it.
If they're shopping it around at the Marche du Film, they're at least looking to get international cinema releases. I'd be surprised if it didn't at least get a Russian domestic release after the money Molot Entertainment pumped into it to get it off the ground.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HellKorn



Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 1669
Location: Columbus, OH
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Definitely wanna check this out.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Finally (aside from DMC) 4C is doing something really awesome. Usually they just churn out pointless shorts for the sake of art. Seems like this one isn't retaining their characteristic ugly character designs though.

Nearly everything in this post is so, so false.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group