• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Typical Manga format in Japan?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
I'm writing a comic story with a Manga flair, (well actually its more of a take on Tokusatsu type super-teams) and I kinda of want to format the story like traditional manga, serial anthology style.

What's a typical chapter length? 8? 10? pages? How often do new anthology titles (like Shōnen Jump and the like) usual come out? Weekly? Fortnightly? Monthly?

Actually, those are my two big questions, typical chapter length and frequency of release.

Thanks.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
Shounen Jump chapters are generally 16-20 pages long. The series in monthly magazines appear to have longer chapters, 36-50 pages.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd agree with Tamaria on the amount of pages. That's usually what I see.

Manga titles (to my knowledge) tend to come out on the weekly or monthly bases. Personally I'd do the monthly so that you can have enough time to hammer out all the details that you want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quote
So just so I'm clear...

Weekly Titles = 16-20 pages?

Monthly Titles = 36-50 pages?

Okay, that's what I needed. My project was actually calling for a 32 page monthly comic, with three 10 page serials running at the same time.

I guess I need to play around with it, see what the stories fit, and not worry too much about homageing anything format wise.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote
There are monthlies with shorter chapters, but in the end it all depends on what the author can get away with. Editors and publishers are more lenient towards established authors with a popular series. Also, don't forget the avarage mangaka has several assistants for tasks like adding screentones, drawing characters in the background etc. I'm sure you've seen an tournament manga or two in which the audience looks (very) different from the main characters? That's because an assistant drew them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1