• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Adds Bokurano & I'll Give It My All...Tomorrow Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
wow for bokurano...took long enough though, such a great manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
wow for bokurano...took long enough though, such a great manga

Heard the manga was great, and that the anime changed too many things that kind of went in its own direction and messed it up in the end. Heard lots of people unhappy with it, kinda those situations where the manga is just vastly superior. I suppose it was a major enough change, unlike the little things in Monster Princess, like the blood becoming a little fire of life. Then again, if you're not familiar with the manga, your opinion probably wouldn't change. Maybe I'll check out this manga later on.
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
Good to see Bokurano getting some love. Hopefully they won't edit certain scenes in Nakama and Chie's chapters, though I could understand if they did. Depictions of child sex aren't as likely to be tolerated over here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Good to see Bokurano getting some love. Hopefully they won't edit certain scenes in Nakama and Chie's chapters, though I could understand if they did. Depictions of child sex aren't as likely to be tolerated over here.

Is Viz known to edit? At least it's not Tokyopop.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
VIZ licensed Bokurano?

oh boy...
Bureiba

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
sigh.... I've been waiting for the anime series of Bokurano to get licensed, so at first glance I mistook the news and got excited.

Oh well... maybe the manga getting acquired is a sign that the anime isn't that far off.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
Bureiba wrote:
sigh.... I've been waiting for the anime series of Bokurano to get licensed, so at first glance I mistook the news and got excited.

Oh well... maybe the manga getting acquired is a sign that the anime isn't that far off.

It and Rosario + Vampire are nearly the only GONZO shows left unlicensed. If they're hurting for money like it seems they are, I'm sure they'd work out a deal. Rosario might be a little bit tougher considering its popularity there and here already.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Viz got IKKI, so other manga serialized in IKKI will most likely be released by Viz as well.

However, I'm rather pessimistic on Bokurano's release in NA; some plots and scenes are even more controversial than Narutaru.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
Is that so? I found the anime version of Bokurano quite tame compared with the anime version of Narutaru, and I hear that Narutaru gets even more twisted as you go further into the manga.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Is that so? I found the anime version of Bokurano quite tame compared with the anime version of Narutaru

As you read in the news article, Bokurano anime has been changed quite a bit from the original.

Megiddo wrote:
and I hear that Narutaru gets even more twisted as you go further into the manga.

That's correct, and Bokurano is more twisted than Narutaru. I own both manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
I'm under the impression that Dark Horse's Narutaru fiasco was due to them failing to understand the true nature of the series.

It'd be harder to make that mistake with Bokurano , no? And hopefully, Viz wouldn't be so blind in the first place?
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
and I hear that Narutaru gets even more twisted as you go further into the manga.

That's correct, and Bokurano is more twisted than Narutaru. I own both manga.

I'll admit I've only seen the anime version of Narutaru and a bit of the manga, but I have to question what in Bokurano you feel is really so much more controversial.

Most of the more twisted stuff is wrapped up by volume 3 or 4 and nothing after that even compares to the content, especially sexual violence, in Narutaru as far as publishability in the west goes.

Last edited by Oronae on Fri May 22, 2009 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
I'm curious about a particular scene that I didn't like in the anime. I don't remember character names but spoiler[With the girl who has an affair with her teacher... does she actually kill him when she's piloting Zearth instead of her sister showing up literally out of nowhere? Cause really, that's the one thing that didn't set right with me in the anime.]
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm curious about a particular scene that I didn't like in the anime. I don't remember character names but spoiler[With the girl who has an affair with her teacher... does she actually kill him when she's piloting Zearth instead of her sister showing up literally out of nowhere? Cause really, that's the one thing that didn't set right with me in the anime.]

No, that scene was pretty much just like in the manga. The rest of that arc however was pretty different.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
at least visually Bokurano manga is a lot "nicer" than Narutaru. Not so much blood or graphic violence in general. I remember only one sex scene, which wasn't very explicit.

Concerning the content however, they're both "not easy to stomach" ... but I don't see how that could be edited or rather I don't understand why they would license a series where they plan to edit the content, which is what makes it a good series Anime hyper

Anyway, I'm happy for such a great series to get licensed and I'm just hoping for the best.

Hoping for the anime as well - but I do recommend to everybody who liked the anime to read the manga as well, because the anime is missing A LOT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2