• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Edit List - Samurai Champloo Episode 03

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
He is right, and Volume Three episodes 9-12 will all likely have edits.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
i REALLY wanna see how adult swim handles episode 9.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
Good to see an episode that's unedited. I like that there have been a total of three edits in a series that has lots of violence and sexual innuendos. But yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they do with episode 9.
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
If you're talking about spoiler[the crucification scene], I see nothing wrong with that. spoiler[People other than Jesus were crucified, and besides, Adult Swim has shown some religious imagry before.]
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
If you're talking about spoiler[the crucification scene], I see nothing wrong with that. spoiler[People other than Jesus were crucified, and besides, Adult Swim has shown some religious imagry before.]

No I didn't mean that; I meant the spoiler[marijuana, or "Sacred Grass" scenes. I don't think AS has had to deal with something like that before, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.]
KDRudy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, there is spoiler[the mushroom episode of Cowboy Bebop.] Don't know if that needed spoiler tag, but for contexts sake I put 'em in.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
arxane wrote:

No I didn't mean that; I meant the spoiler[marijuana, or "Sacred Grass" scenes. I don't think AS has had to deal with something like that before, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.]

I think the spoiler["sacred grass" was someting else, marijuana to my knolage wasn't in Japan tell some Americans broght it over.]
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Well since the shows say it is not a strict historical portraly they could very well use plants or other substances that weren't in Japan at the time.

Also various other substances used for stimilation in historical times are often confused with the substances now used.

So it may very well not be marijunia but another substance. Also since they had the mushroom episode which surprised a lot of people odds are they will have this one mostly intact.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:33 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
arxane wrote:

I think the spoiler["sacred grass" was someting else, marijuana to my knolage wasn't in Japan tell some Americans broght it over.]

spoiler[Opium. The Chinese Had it.]

Call me crazy, but that would be the logical cop-out. Hell, spoiler[they didn't edit out the prostitute smoking an opium pipe in Episode 3.]

Then again, they never edited out Wolfwood chain smoking.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
spoiler[Opium. The Chinese Had it.]

I had thought about that when I first saw the episode, but spoiler[opium is collected by dehydrating and condensing the juice of a poppy plant. In the episode, the "sacred grass" is simply burned. So I don't think it's opium. And while it might not be marijuana, the plant is in a star shape which is what the marijuana plant looks like.]

But anyway, AS will probably leave everything in, because nobody actually uses it; they all breathe it in accidentally.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Wait, if they breathed it in, then someone had to have used it, right? Don't tell me we're getting into another Stand Alone Complex here. My brain can't take it! ^^;
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, a field full of the plant in question caught on fire, so anyone in the vicinity had no choice but to breath it in.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
arxane wrote:

yeah that's what i was referring to as well.

Advent_Nebula wrote:

spoiler[now come on, you look at that plant and tell me it's not Marijuana]
Aokage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why they would edit the DVD release considering that you have to intentionally purchase a DVD as opposed to accidentally stumbling upon something on television. The show is clearly not for children, so what would be the point in editing it. I mean in Ikkitousen volume 1, during Mao and Hakafu's fight spoiler[Mao made Hakufu orgasm, and they didn't edit that out at all.] So I don't see why they would edit Champloo. Besides there is a later episode where spoiler[a kid steals opium from some drug dealers and then kidnaps fuu when things go bad] if they were worried about content like this, then they picked the wrong show to air, because it is riddled with violence, drugs and sexual innuendo's.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Aokage wrote:
I don't see why they would edit the DVD release considering that you have to intentionally purchase a DVD as opposed to accidentally stumbling upon something on television. The show is clearly not for children, so what would be the point in editing it. I mean in Ikkitousen volume 1, during Mao and Hakafu's fight spoiler[Mao made Hakufu orgasm, and they didn't edit that out at all.] So I don't see why they would edit Champloo. Besides there is a later episode where spoiler[a kid steals opium from some drug dealers and then kidnaps fuu when things go bad] if they were worried about content like this, then they picked the wrong show to air, because it is riddled with violence, drugs and sexual innuendo's.

Ikkitousen aired on AS? Since When?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2