• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Blood Film Opens with US$110,029

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
Not bad, considering it was competing against TF 2 and Bruno. It might not survive Potter, though.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
Those are great per-screen numbers. At $5,150 per-screen on average, Saya is actually ahead of all but the top three movies (in terms of per-screen money." Makes you wonder if a wider release might not have been a bad idea. Hopefully they'll expand the screen count for it and give it a bit more of a chance to reach a wider audience.
mimosa_usagi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
I just went to see this film this Saturday. It wasn’t half bad, I liked it. Even so I am still surprised that the movie is doing this good. They didn’t really do much to promote it.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
Wonder if we'll see an uptick in theater count this next weekend. I'd think it'd still be very limited (don't expect it in your local theater anytime soon), but if we see similar numbers next week, it may have a shot at getting into a few dozen if not 100+ locations for a week or two.

According to Box Office Mojo, it was #25 for the weekend - not bad for just 20 screens (though I'm not sure how complete that data is) - and had the 5th highest theater average of movies in the top 25 (and consider the fact that 3 of those movies have more than 1 screen in many theaters).

Though I would note it's getting panned on Rotten tomatoes (for what it's worth, though $$$ usually has the most to say the end of the day)
akatsukinotobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
I'm sure it'll do much better once it releases to DVD/Blu-ray. I'll probably pick it up since I'm a fan of the original anime movie =D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
So thats a good amount? I can't tell honestly. In any case if I was in their position and with the history of anime to real life movies in my brain box I would look at the figures for another 2 weeks and decide from there and shoot for a August release in more theaters if it shows potential. I was really hoping a theater near me would get it but no luck.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
So thats a good amount? I can't tell honestly. In any case if I was in their position and with the history of anime to real life movies in my brain box I would look at the figures for another 2 weeks and decide from there and shoot for a August release in more theaters if it shows potential. I was really hoping a theater near me would get it but no luck.

$103,000 isn't much, but the per-screen average of $5150 is actually pretty decent. Just to give you an idea, I Love You Beth Cooper, a movie with a higher-profile cast and director that showed in more theaters but was also similarly panned by critics made only $2,691 per theater this weekend when it opened. While I doubt that the number will cause this to platform out (i.e. to expand to a wide release), it may ensure that it stays in local theaters longer. Whether or not it'll earn back its budget at this rate, however, remains to be seen. My guess is the creators are wagering on high DVD sales and rentals.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Cool, I'm glad this film is doing well.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
It got a decent review from Roger Ebert, 3 stars out of four, though he pretty much said you have to enjoy it for what it is and not what you'd like it to be.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090708/REVIEWS/907089989
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
$103,000 isn't much, but the per-screen average of $5150 is actually pretty decent. Just to give you an idea, I Love You Beth Cooper, a movie with a higher-profile cast and director that showed in more theaters but was also similarly panned by critics made only $2,691 per theater this weekend when it opened. While I doubt that the number will cause this to platform out (i.e. to expand to a wide release), it may ensure that it stays in local theaters longer. Whether or not it'll earn back its budget at this rate, however, remains to be seen. My guess is the creators are wagering on high DVD sales and rentals.

I'd like to point out that we were practically the last market to get this after Japan, SE Asia and Britain, just like with DB:E. I haven't been following the worldwide numbers, but there's a chance that the movie has already made back its budget in overseas ticket sales. Though I'd agree that this will probably make more money once it's released on DVD/BD, simply because it'll be more widely available.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
It got a decent review from Roger Ebert, 3 stars out of four, though he pretty much said you have to enjoy it for what it is and not what you'd like it to be.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090708/REVIEWS/907089989
That is a surprisingly decent review, given the nature of the movie and the reviewer. Gotta respect Ebert for at least watching the movie since more than a few reviewers won't even do that much before ranting about how bad horror movies are or whatever.

He's got a point with the CGI comment but live-action is a such a restrictive media to work with anyway. So much effort to get around the fact that you're using real people, it's a waste of time and money. His points about plot issues might be attributable to the franchise itself not explaining it's full plot in the source work this movie is based on. I love Blood: The Last Vampire but they explained criminally little in the anime version. (Don't know about the novel version since I haven't read it yet.)

Ebert's comment on the bottled blood though was very nonsensical. Has he never heard of blood banks or blood drives? The "shadowy Council" doesn't have to kill people to feed Saya buddy. His mention of vampire immaturity versus their age is off too as that is an extremely common thematic element in vampire stories as well as stories with immortals in general. Usually it comes from the idea that a vampire is sort of in a stasis, hence the regeneration to return to that state and the rarity of actual changes in their nature.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
mimosa: They've done more to promote it than most of their anime films. Plus, unlike Bebop, there's a sizable fanbase for Blood willing to buy anything related to the series.

vash: The only one recognizable person in Beth Cooper was that cheer chick from Heroes; and they made sure she'd be forgotten when they turned her into a total slut. But yeah, there's no way Blood's gonna make its money back theatrically. I still don't know why Hollywood keeps releasing horror films in summer, but I guess, in Blood's case, it might actually be better, since it won't get lost with the other stuff of that particular genre.

darkness: DB: E was released last here, because the studio knew it was gonna bomb. So it was hoping Asian fans of the original property, Ayumi, and CYF, would be stupid enough to ignore the fact that it was crap. Blood got released last here, because there are no recognizable names for Americans who haven't imported the non-Aryan "My Sassy Girl", and so the marketing required a little more work than usual.

Richard: You're not missing anything with the novel. It's like a Japanese Da Vinci Code, except spoiler[Da Jews[Er, some rich family with a Jewish surname. :roll: ]] are in on the conspiracy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1