• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm Quitting Heroing (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:40 am Reply with quote

I'm Quitting Heroing (TV)

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: Leo is a hero who once saved the world from a demon army's invasion. However, he was feared and ostracized by people afterward, and ended up with no job. Feeling that his skills would be better appreciated elsewhere, he joins the demon lord's army that he once fought. Now in a new work environment, Leo strives to use his skills and revive the demon army that is on the brink of collapse.

Apr. 5, 2022 (Tuesdays; HIDIVE)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Yeesh. I think we're supposed to be sympathetic to demon queen's invasion explanation, but it's not meaningfully different than that given by Hitler or Putin ("Our suffering is correlated to the prosperity of our neighbors, so we must invade for our own people's sake"). I hope the show isn't going into yet another "now our main character participates in killing/enslaving/oppressing an entire society, and it's good!" path. But it sometimes feels like I'm the only person who gets antsy when shows glorify murder, so I'm definitely expecting to be disappointed.

Everything else about the show I love, though. I will definitely be sad to see it go if it does.
Snake_snack

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Episode 4:

Yeesh. I think we're supposed to be sympathetic to demon queen's invasion explanation, but it's not meaningfully different than that given by Hitler or Putin ("Our suffering is correlated to the prosperity of our neighbors, so we must invade for our own people's sake"). I hope the show isn't going into yet another "now our main character participates in killing/enslaving/oppressing an entire society, and it's good!" path. But it sometimes feels like I'm the only person who gets antsy when shows glorify murder, so I'm definitely expecting to be disappointed.

Everything else about the show I love, though. I will definitely be sad to see it go if it does.

Well she did make it a point to not kill people, and her only goal was their "power source". So she is infinitely better than any real world conqueror from history.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I do think that the show had some interesting parts when it got into the true nature of the hero, Leo, that he was more inhuman than most, and that he was afraid that his own nature would turn him into a threat to people in needing a purpose. He didn't get his sacrificial dying and leave everything to the others, would seem that they thought the sacrifice was not worth it. I do wonder if the show remembered that they are supposed to be on a time crunch with the portal closing.

My rating is going to be Good (7/10). I liked all the sympathetic view of monster characters, and I think at an earlier time I might have been even more into it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:07 am Reply with quote
I'm Quitting Watching This Show!!!... now that it's over. Actually, that's not quite true since I read that HiDive will be streaming two OVAs and while I wasn't bowled over by this offering, I guess I'll check them out. Basically, the show managed to do the absolute minimum required to keep me tuned in. I actually did drop it at one point but then returned and barely liked it enough not to perma-drop. I give it a So-so rating. I might have rated higher if they'd given us some naked Shutina fan service, but they didn't, the bastards.

I give it props for telling a complete story with an actual ending in 1-cours, unlike many, many other anime adaptations.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That was painful. It started weak enough. Generic OP MC and some nice cute demon gals. And then...it went NOWHERE. It wasn't even funny. Hope it's not a spoiler to say WTH with his got no parts twist? Then his I don't wanna be here twist. And then the Nice demons are all huggy the end. Blah. What a generic piece of dreck.
If I hadn't been watching it while I was working I'd have considered cancelling my HIDIVE account in protest of this crap.

I have nothing good to say about it other than for a brief few episodes I thought it might end up being a cute rom-com kinda thing with Leo and Steina...but that's not happening. So literally...there was nothing I ended up enjoying about this show. I tried. I really tried. But it beat me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:37 pm Reply with quote
@InfiniteJest I don't agree that this was "generic dreck" in the least bit.

This show had a lot of surprises and was definitely one of the better fantasy shows featuring a demon world. I liked how not everything was so black and white...and the realistic theme that humans would be terrified of a hero that is TOO powerful. Leo's true story was quite profound and made me think about life.
(and excuse you but Leo and Echnida are the obvious ship here) Razz
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:03 am Reply with quote
@Chiibi, All respect to your well written response. I understand that demons (others) aren’t uniformly evil. Just started World Trigger for instance and so far that’s doing it well. And I didn’t mind Echidna but Steina all the way for me. Maybe it’s the glasses..

To be fair maybe if I hadn’t just watched a bunch of other Isekai (mostly junk) I’d have been more forgiving. But Heroing just got released late into the cycle and didn’t bring anything gripping to the table. So it feels very typical and bland to me except for the twists which were not welcome. One twist sabotages shipping anything and the other seems contrived.

If anything I felt like the show didn’t know what it wanted to be. It started as a traditional fantasy and had an emphasis on goofy humor then shifted to almost time traveling high tech angst. Maybe if it had been done over 3 seasons but all packed into 1 made it feel rushed, random, and frenetic. All IMHO of course.

I will say that once I’d decided I was finishing it though I will admit I kinda liked the two *bonus episodes for their light hearted tomfoolery. Still not seeing any reason to return to this world. Unless of course it is about Steina, then sign me up! All that being said it’s way better than My Isekai life which I couldn’t even finish.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:55 am Reply with quote
Well, I CAN sympathize with you on "Isekai/fantasy burnout". Because while a handful of them are unique, a LOT are very similar....and when I preview each new anime season, I'm constantly going "OH NO. NOT ANOTHER ONE". Rolling Eyes Laughing And there were definitely some I dropped before the first episode ended.

Have you checked out 'The Executioner and Her Way of Life'? Without spoiling the first episode, I have a feeling you would love it lol.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:52 am Reply with quote
Haven’t seen or heard of that one but I’ll go find it and take a look. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1