• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse, Colorful/Maka-Maka's Kishi Draw Devil Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I'm still waiting for that copy of A Wind Named Amnesia they were supposed to have ready a year ago, but which is dragging out into 18 months. Rolling Eyes Also, why not just license Colorful in its place, given that the anime got a release here? I swear, if it wasn't for Gantz, DH would be considered a "niche" publisher by now.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Why not just license Colorful in its place, given that the anime got a release here? I swear, if it wasn't for Gantz, DH would be considered a "niche" publisher by now.

Yes, because Blood+, Berserk, Evangelion, Hellsing, MPD Psycho, Blade of the Immortal, Trigun, Oh My Goddess! and Koike are totally niche titles.

If anything, I'd see (and agree with) complaints of Dark Horse not taking chances with serious pushes into niche/experimental manga titles like Viz has. But to assert their manga division as niche is ridiculous.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Blood, Berserk, Hellsing, and Trigun are DMP joints. OMG and BotI were picked up during the Studio Proteus days. And while it did make the NYT list, MPD Psycho is the only horror manga the company's licensed for itself which has been a success so far. As for Eva, you got me there; but the company still mostly dabbles in stuff no one wants to read. [WTF? "From the creator of Moetan"?!]
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
Ok, I stand corrected on Blood. DH does own it directly. But it just seems that, like for every name title, the company licenses a ton of obscure stuff no one except hard-core importers would want to read.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
So wait, are they just displaying CLAMPs book or are they actually going to publish it? I would love some more pretty CLAMP art, I wonder if this means they'll pick up Kobato soon...
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if "Final Fantasy Boxed Set of artwork" is the same as Japanese equivalent which was released years ago under Digicube...I remember Japanese fans were willing to spend 10,000 yen and up for the set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1