• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Total number of episodes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psgels

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
I've been bothered by this for years now, and now I finally dug up my old account to make a post about it. Overall, the encyclopedia is a great resource and I often make use of it for accurate and verified information about all sorts of anime, but there's one thing that's incredibly confusing: the part that shows the total amount of episodes. I've really seen countless of people who got the wrong idea with pages as the following:

anime#10580

In which they believed that the line "Episode titles: We have 26" meant that the total amount of episodes for that series in question is 26 (just to name an example), rather than that it's still unknown. You're spreading a lot of false information this way, so how about you make the lay-out a bit more clear on this? It's going to take care of quite a few misunderstandings.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
Uhm, what's the problem there? The source of the info appears legitimate, i.e. the total number of eps. will indeed be 26.
psgels

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm, what exactly do you mean? With series whose total amount of episodes is known, for example here:

anime#4543

The total amount of episodes is shown under "Number of episodes: 26"

With series as Cross Game, where the total amount of episodes isn't known yet however, there's nothing, and people are going to assume that there are only going to be 26 of them, while that in fact is just the amount of episodes that are known.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/1611/time

Now, how about you do some research before you start complaining?

No idea what it says in the link, other than it is the listed source for ANN putting Cross Game at a minimum of 26 episodes (as ANN has the airdates up to and including episode 26). Of course ANN isn't trying to assert that there are only 26 episodes; that's an incorrect assumption people make when reading it, not a fault of the encyclopedia. Those people who thought Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood only had thirteen episodes had only themselves to blame.
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
The info has been brought up in the Cross Game thread. You must realize that most info in the encyclopedia is entered by volunteers. There is too much input to be verified by the editors. ANN doesn't enjoy being compared to Wikipedia, but the data in the encyclopedia is as reliable as Wiki. ANN's slogan stands up for it's news section - not encyclopedia - because it is 100% checked by the staff.
psgels

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
rti9: No, this isn't about information being late. I'm not talking about how you should update faster. I can completely understand that. What I'm trying to say is that the pages which don't have a total amount of episodes (it doesn't necessarily have to be Cross Game, it can be any series whose total amount of episodes isn't known) are really misleading, because people often interpret the episodes that are known to ANN as the total and definitive amount of episodes. This isn't a complaint about the content, but rather the lay-out of the site.

dtm: That's my point: you'll be surprised at how often people misinterpret that number. Blaming that on them is just lazy and a sign of bad webdesign.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Do you understand how the Japanese television season works, even?

Most of the time, it is known going into a series exactly how many episodes it will be, because that's how they're scheduled/produced, etc.

The Japanese television year is broken down into 4 "kuru". Each "kuru" is 13 weeks long, and most anime are scheduled for either 1 or 2 "kuru" (13 or 26 episodes). And, if you know how to check broadcast schedules (like was linked to above), you can get the listing of all scheduled/planned episodes and the episode titles.

IIRC, the way the "number of episodes" (which is -never- listed as "total number of episodes", and is often simply how many episodes are currently released) is based completely on how many episodes are listed under the "episode titles" (which often has blank episodes titles, because while the episode has been confirmed, the title hasn't been released yet).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
psgels, I understand what you mean, but what less-confusing alternative would you suggest? If only 4 episode titles are known then how would you formulate that other than "Episode titles: We have 4" ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1