• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 K-On! Image CDs Debut on Same Day, Rank in Top 10

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I believe this is just another example of the increasing popularity and over usage of moe. However, nice sales figures though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Ritsu beat out Mugi?

That surprised me.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
K-ON bringin' the heat!

...I'd buy Tsumugi's album. Cool
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I have to see if these 3 image albums are better than the previous ones or not...
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Otakus prevails!
Retcon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The "Cagayake! Girls" opening theme for the K-ON! anime peaked at #2 in April and has sold 1,459,000 copies as of this month.

Are you sure this is right? It sold a respectable 67k in the first week according to the other article, but the sales of these things are usually extremely front loaded. I have trouble believing it reached a monstrous 1.5 million from 67k in the first week. Are you sure the 1.5 million figure isn't the sale of all the K-ON! songs combined?
se37

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I'm not surpised but at the same time I am if that makes sense. I'm kind of surpised that Azusa is the highest on the list since Ritsu seems to be more popular (right behind Mio of course). Though the songs themselfs are wonderful too... All five of them that have currently been released are great... though my favorite is Girly Storm Shissou Stick which I've had stuck in my head all day long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I do have to say the music on the CDs is really good for a character CD release.

Still, this just shows moe blob sells
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
This article reminds me, I could sure go for some Ranka Lee music right now. Cool

P.S: All of the K-On songs are just atrociously terrible in their own way from the titles right down to the lyrics and music itself, but I swear it's done so in such a deliberately obvious way that I can't help but laugh at these songs. There the kind of songs you anonymously sign your friend up to play during the office karaoke Christmas party to see them get all embarassed and flustered in front of everybody, but it's okay because everybody is already drunk by then and are probably having a great time despite it all. Laughing

I think that's the best way to appreciate these songs if there is any such way, because obviously Kakifly knows, we know, everybody knows that the K-On label on the cover is going to automatically put an album in the top 10 before they've even thought of a name for the song. Why not have a little fun with it by just making the worst music you could possibly imagine and watching it sell like hot cakes at a church function.

Other uses for K-On singles I can think of:

- Alternative to a rickroll
- Coasters
- Slipping one into your friends car stereo in lieu of that Queen Greatest Hits CD while they aren't looking and then poking fun at them for listening to it.
- Rockband punishment play song for losing a bet
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
This article reminds me, I could sure go for some Ranka Lee music right now. Cool

P.S: In my not so humble opinion all of the K-On songs are just atrociously terrible in their own way from the titles right down to the lyrics and music itself, but I swear it's done so in such a deliberately obvious way that I can't help but laugh at these songs. There the kind of songs you anonymously sign your friend up to play during the office karaoke Christmas party to see them get all embarassed and flustered in front of everybody, but it's okay because everybody is already drunk by then and are probably having a great time despite it all. Laughing

I think that's the best way to appreciate these songs if there is any such way, because obviously Kakifly knows, we know, everybody knows that the K-On label on the cover is going to automatically put an album in the top 10 before they've even thought of a name for the song. Why not have a little fun with it by just making what I think is the worst music you could possibly imagine and watching it sell like hot cakes at a church function.

Other uses for K-On singles I can think of:

- Alternative to a rickroll
- Coasters
- Slipping one into your friends car stereo in lieu of that Queen Greatest Hits CD while they aren't looking and then poking fun at them for listening to it.
- Rockband punishment play song for losing a bet

fixed for truth
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I think that's the best way to appreciate these songs if there is any such way, because obviously Kakifly knows, we know, everybody knows that the K-On label on the cover is going to automatically put an album in the top 10 before they've even thought of a name for the song.

You know, at least you could stop pretending to be able to read other people's minds. It could help your posts sound less ridiculous.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
K-ON = God Tier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I take it this was the entire point of picking this series, out of all the moe manga in existence, to animate?

Say, where can I find a good history of the relationship between Japan's animation and music businesses?
Some Guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
I have to see if these 3 image albums are better than the previous ones or not...

In order of listenability: Mio>Tsumugi>Yui>Ritsu>Azusa

By listenability I mean going from pretty good to wanting to stab my ears. I'll point out that I still love Fuwa-Fuwa time, the Mio version rock and the Yui version is alright.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
Retcon wrote:
Quote:
The "Cagayake! Girls" opening theme for the K-ON! anime peaked at #2 in April and has sold 1,459,000 copies as of this month.

Are you sure this is right? It sold a respectable 67k in the first week according to the other article, but the sales of these things are usually extremely front loaded. I have trouble believing it reached a monstrous 1.5 million from 67k in the first week. Are you sure the 1.5 million figure isn't the sale of all the K-ON! songs combined?

Oricon has apparently retracted the 1,459,000-copy statistic. It has edited its article to remove the sentence with the statistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2