• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York Anime Festival 2009 - Bandai Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The panelists then showed trailers for recent and upcoming titles, like Kannagi, Kurokami, Code Geass, and Gundam 00, all of which can be streamed for free on Bandai's Youtube channel.

But when the heck will Kurokami get a DVD release? After having watched this absolutely wonderful series in its entirety on Bandai's Youtube channel I've been a little impatient as of late to own it in my library. Seriously, it may start out with some generic anime cliches, but as it goes along it really stands on its own, the action scenes are very high-quality, and the ending was most heartfelt.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was already pretty much aware why Japanese licensors are hesitant to let North American licensees put anime TV series on BluRay, considering that Americans aren't likely to jump at paying $75+ for a 2-episode disk like in Japan.

I'm disappointed that Bandai announced neither K-On! nor Haruhi Suzumiya season 2, both of which I would buy on BluRay if given the non-import option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
oh well I guess the hopes of season 2 of Haruhi being picked up are going to have to be put on hold for a bit.

Still no news on if there dubbing the Lucky Star OVA? I mean I'm still a little mad about Hayate not getting a dub (I hope funimation gets season's 2 rights at this point as I refuse to buy it as sub only)
joystick1101

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai Entertainment recently screened Eureka Seven ~Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers~ around the country in conjunction with Phantom Events. The movie will be available on DVD (MSRP $24.98) and BD (MSRP $39.98) on January 26, 2010.

4 months!?!? WTF? It was in theaters for a day it shouldn't take 4 months for the DVD. At latest late November/early December, in time for Christmas. Isn't it Phathom Events not Phantom Events?
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, starting in 2010, the company will be placing more emphasis on Blu-ray releases.

Fingers crossed for an eventual (although preferably soon) BD release of Code Geass and Gundam 00. I may buy the former beforehand (although I still intend to wait it out for a while), but the latter isn't likely until. I'm also wondering if they'll release TTGL as a complete collection anytime soon. Certainly wouldn't complain if they did.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That's all well and good but unless there is a DVD release as well it's going to be like pinching their jugular. I'm not investing in Blu-Ray when legal streaming is set to over take it. Rolling Eyes
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to K-On! and Haruhi as well... Endless Eight aside--we won't know if they will bring season two over, I think, until they see how that arc does in Japan. The other issue is that "season two" is mixed into season one. So do they re-issue the entire series, or just the volumes needed to fill in the holes? I know most of the eps are in order, separate, so they could do that. Still a question though.

I've been feeling this vaguely, but today fully realized that Bandai has sort of taken the place of Geneon in my buying habits. That is, they have licensed/released far more of my favorites than Funi in recent months, or a year or whatever. Just a fluke?

Frankly, the Funi announcement was a yawn, and they have been for some time. At least until/unless they finish the many series they've left hanging on one season. I'm sort of on a semi-boycott anyway until they do. Maybe I should post this in their thread instead so Lance will read it Wink

And may as well toss in my usual vote, since it the subject came up: I don't care about dubs, so sub DVDs are fine with me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I wish Bandai Entertainment would license some new Gundam titles. Or rather, some old Gundam titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm not investing in Blu-Ray when legal streaming is set to over take it. :roll:

I don't think BluRay will have the same penetration as DVD, but I still think BluRay will do just fine for those of us only interested in buying movies/TV/anime in high-definition on physical media.

pparker wrote:
I'm looking forward to K-On! and Haruhi as well... Endless Eight aside--we won't know if they will bring season two over, I think, until they see how that arc does in Japan. The other issue is that "season two" is mixed into season one. So do they re-issue the entire series, or just the volumes needed to fill in the holes? I know most of the eps are in order, separate, so they could do that. Still a question though.

On DVD, I'd just want the new episodes, but, if it were on BluRay, I'd buy all of Haruhi Suzumiya again in a heartbeat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
oh well I guess the hopes of season 2 of Haruhi being picked up are going to have to be put on hold for a bit.

Still no news on if there dubbing the Lucky Star OVA? I mean I'm still a little mad about Hayate not getting a dub (I hope funimation gets season's 2 rights at this point as I refuse to buy it as sub only)

Hasn't it already been released? It was solicited as subonly, so I doubt the dvd has a dub. I think we're pretty lucky to be getting the OVA as it is.... with the current market, getting anything is pretty good, and it seems sales/releases are more in line with the
VHS-era of anime fandom, meaning more subtitled-only releases.

I'm guessing we'll only see a dub from Bandai when a theatrical release of a television broadcast has been worked out.

Also, am I reading things right? Did Bandai announce they have the Gurren Lagann movie at NYAF?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
The panelists then showed trailers for recent and upcoming titles, like Kannagi, Kurokami, Code Geass, and Gundam 00, all of which can be streamed for free on Bandai's Youtube channel.

But when the heck will Kurokami get a DVD release? After having watched this absolutely wonderful series in its entirety on Bandai's Youtube channel I've been a little impatient as of late to own it in my library. Seriously, it may start out with some generic anime cliches, but as it goes along it really stands on its own, the action scenes are very high-quality, and the ending was most heartfelt.

It was solicited awhile back, but delayed.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/YLyF-Ulxg=Ra5AiS0G/browse/item/83179/4/0/0 Rightstuf still has a listing for it.

Basically, as they stated in the panel [AnimeVice mentioned it as well], they've been dealing with assorted issues- there's dvd production issues, issues with the video masters. These seem to be the things that are affecting them.

Another thing to consider is the release time frame- Media Blasters has mentioned this a lot at the AoDVD forums, but the big remaining anime retailers like Best Buy are pretty much determining release dates and packaging, and it's better to slate it for when they can give it the best push and widest availability. I'm guessing it MB is working to appease them, Bandai likely is as well. With less retailers carrying anime, and anime becoming moreso a niche product again, it makes sense to take that into consideration . I think Bandai would rather release a quality product at the right time then rush it out.
roesnail

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

Hasn't it already been released? It was solicited as subonly, so I doubt the dvd has a dub. I think we're pretty lucky to be getting the OVA as it is.... with the current market, getting anything is pretty good, and it seems sales/releases are more in line with the
VHS-era of anime fandom, meaning more subtitled-only releases.

I'm guessing we'll only see a dub from Bandai when a theatrical release of a television broadcast has been worked out.

Also, am I reading things right? Did Bandai announce they have the Gurren Lagann movie at NYAF?

yeah since when was the gurren movie licensed? first i heard of this.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I think Bandai would rather release a quality product at the right time then rush it out.

I don't disagree at all. Even so, until it happens, I can't help but wonder 'when', that's all. Maybe I came across too passionately in my post? Still, I already reserved my copy at Right Stuf a while ago, so I guess I'll find out when they send me an e-mail about it being shipped, whenever that may be.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Part of the issue lies in the fact that some of the Japanese licensors are not happy about the lower MSRP of BDs in North America, as all countries share the same region code.

Would love this to be true, but while previously I could console myself with the fact that while the US got more anime and sooner, I could import over priced and English-less DVDs from Japan and play them on my PC, any DVD player and UK PS3 with no problems. Now not only are the US and Japan in the same Blu-ray region while we're not but multiregion blu-ray drives are not exactly cheap or easy to come by and while some anime BDs are region free, others are not. Did we cease to matter entirely now the US and Japan are in the same region or something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Part of the issue lies in the fact that some of the Japanese licensors are not happy about the lower MSRP of BDs in North America, as all countries share the same region code.

What's more important? More people buying your BDs, or the format going the way of HD-DVD? Rolling Eyes Seriously, though, the fact that you have to lower the price this early in the game and people are still not buying into it just proves that it's a pointless upgrade. And depending on otaku-only sales is part of why the market in Japan is dying; so it makes more sense to me to invest in better products, not just desperate cash-ins.

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3