• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gintama: underrated?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
i got to say you always hear about bleach, one piece, naruto and reborn! but one ongoing series you never hear about is Gintama.

Gintama is not only a hilarious and random show but it also delivers some of best storylines and even some times incredible fight scenes. yet it has always seemed like a show that noone has ever heard of. heck if i hadn't looked at a list of "Best anime" i never would have heard of it.

but it feels like its the show most people don't give a chance just because it isn't you're typical battle focused shounen series.

what do other people think?
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've heard good things about it on other boards and from people I know. And it's been on my "to watch" list for a while now because I figured it was good.

Don't really know why I haven't gotten around to watching it. But you definitely aren't the only person who thinks that it's good. There are a lot of great anime out there and it seems like they get shadowed by the titans that have been running for the past, I dunno, 5+ years or so. It's a shame really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
It will never get the attention it deserves.

If you haven't participated in the world of anime, manga and videogames for the last 20 years or so, the jokes will just pass you right by. That makes it a noob nightmare. It would be an explain a thon if it were to be localized and thus being ignored by the masses. Our masses.

Which is too bad. I really enjoy Gintama. I've been with it since Ep 1.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

If you haven't participated in the world of anime, manga and videogames for the last 20 years or so, the jokes will just pass you right by. That makes it a noob knightmare. It would be an explain a thon if it were to be localized and thus being ignored by the masses. Our masses.

Which is too bad. I really enjoy Gintama.

ah that's not true there are many references that go over my head but i still enjoy the anime alot. you don't need to know the reference to enjoy the show its just a bonus if you do.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
You have peaked my interest. This sounds like the type of crazy of the wall series i would enjoy behold your valorous efforts of promotion may yield a fan Anime hyper.

Scurries off to order a Gintama DVD
batou37

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Gintama does not recieve the accolades that it deserves. I would go as far as to say it is in my opinion one of the best shows there is. The characters are great, and the story lines cover almost all of the different types that are out there. Comedy of course, but it also can show love, hate, vengeance, sorrow, retribution, celebration, etc... I can't really think of any situation that hasn't at least been touched on in the series. And it is always done well. I've never thought to myself, "hey this doesn't really fit in with this (character, series, episode, situation, etc...)" where in a lot of other series it seems as if it is partially forced in order to get an idea across or a particular result to a conflict. Needless to say I'm a huge fan, and regardless of price once I can get it I will purchase the full series in blu ray (along with a blu ray player just for that purpose.)
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Definitely underrated.

It's actually my favorite anime of all time. It has a little bit of everything: shounen fights, drama, tons of comedy, great storylines, pure randomness, etc.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
haha title got changed to my first choice. guess the lessen is always go with shorter title lol.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
watched episodes 1 and 2 not bad at all thanks for the reccomendation I've been wanting to buff up my comedy collection a bit and it seems theres plenty of episodes to watch Smile

It's definately an Anime for Anime fans though you can watch it without knowing the shows it uses but i can't imagine it would be anywhere near as funny. Coupled with that youd probably have to have a good general knowledge of Anime to find even the more basic jokes funny.

First couple of episodes where kind of Bleach, Kenshin and Samurai 7 all rolled into 1 it was awesome. It definately has that kind of cross over appeal. Can't wait to see how the show develops.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
well you've only seen the first 2 (which are personally my least favorite in the series) i firmly believe that even if this was the first anime you ever saw you'd still be able to enjoy it. this becomes more apparent as the show goes on.

[EDIT: There's no need to quote a person's entire post if you're replying directly after them. -TK]
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I got into this series during my summer vacation. Not usually into anime comdies but this one was excellent. Most of the refernces I don't get because I'm only 16 so some jokes of old anime pas me by. but they make enough I do get because of jokes about one piece, naruto, bleach, even Hunter X hunter I understand. They even make refernces to real world stuff like the psp, and nintendo wii. very underated
glargmonster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

If you haven't participated in the world of anime, manga and videogames for the last 20 years or so, the jokes will just pass you right by. That makes it a noob knightmare. It would be an explain a thon if it were to be localized and thus being ignored by the masses. Our masses.

Which is too bad. I really enjoy Gintama.

ah that's not true there are many references that go over my head but i still enjoy the anime alot. you don't need to know the reference to enjoy the show its just a bonus if you do.

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear you say that as I would think it would be more like what the top poster said.

I wonder if people can enjoy some of the parody storylines that revolve around one specific anime that they may not be familiar with. Such as the kochikame tribute or the arc based on JoJo's Bizarre adventures.

I just recently sped through Gintama over the last few months to catch up and I've loved it. It's definitely steeped in Japanese culture, I wonder if Gintama would be equivalent to someone who is not American watching Futurama, or maybe the Venture Bros.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Gintama, underrated? Check CR and you'll know it's not. I've watched it up to episode 20 or so, and didn't find it as much fun as you did. I doubt that's underrating a show, is it? Either way, I just can't agree with this thread's title. You compare it to Naruto, Bleach or Hitman. But I've never seen people attacking Gintama as much as they do to the other Shonen shows(except for One Piece).
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
the comparison was that that they all on-going shounen series that have been around for over 100 episodes. and i simply mean that not as many people are aware of this show as they would be the others.

[EDIT: Read what I said in your last post. -TK]
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I read the manga and it's...decent to say the least. It's not really funny or super entertaining it just has a few arcs that are REALLY funny, but for the most part it's bland. It has this absurd, random humor that just isn't funny when you compare it to Sayonara or Gag Manga Biyori.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2