• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ordet Animates Lodoss War Browser Game's Anime Promo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing a new Lodoss anime using those designs, since it seems doubtful we'll ever see the original OVA remastered on BluRay.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a new Lodoss anime using those designs, since it seems doubtful we'll ever see the original OVA remastered on BluRay.

Indeed, I'm not a huge fan of Parn looking more "marketablely" the main character (if you know what I mean) but everyone else, Ashram especially looked great, so I'd be down (Now if only they could get Lisa Ortiz, to play Deedlit again Very Happy )
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Well that look sweet and a remake with those designs would be sweet
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I love the music (but since it's RoLW, I'm expecting no less). The animation was pretty sweet. I prefer the old art style, but this one was fine as well (haha, Parn did look like a generic, short-dark-haired male lead Anime hyper).

I appreciate seeing the old OAV cast, but I'm wanting me some more Spark and Neese as well. They were my favorite couple.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I want to see more of this!!!! Someone reanimate this into a new set of OVAs!!!
Pablo_Equis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair
Quote:
I want to see more of this!!!! Someone reanimate this into a new set of OVAs!!!

No kidding. New RoLW anime is WAY overdue. I'm enjoying the Berserk movies in its stead [although that's certainly its own unique take on the fantasy genre], but there's not enough great Tolkien-esque fantasy anime out there IMHO. Record of Lodoss War should have been adapted into much more anime content than what currently exists in the years since its release.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
You can really tell how modern mainstream art styles/trends have affected the look in this video --- compared to the original OVA and even the TV series, there's less grit/dirtiness to the overall look, Ghim's a bit awkwardly rendered in places, Etoh almost looks cute (which... might be an improvement Laughing), and Parn and Deedlit look more like teenagers than young adults (they also look considerably less muscular, Deedlit almost to the point of looking 'moe'). I appreciated that they made a nod in this video to the TV series opening by attempting their own rendition of Deedlit standing in the wind --- but it doesn't have anywhere near as much visual punch, and the animation isn't quite as realistic. It's more polished-looking than the older series, especially with the gradients and lighting, but even with that, I much much much prefer the original OVA's more distinct, weathered/mature look and feel.

Besides all that, I do like the idea of bringing back older series, but it really depends on how they do it. The classic OVA had a strong spirit of Western fantasy, but this particular take seems to stylistically lean too much towards otaku/youth sensibilities, which doesn't appeal to me (it almost grated on my nerves, but I at least appreciated that they even revisited such an old work). It reminds me of watching Star Wars Episode I for the first time and wondering why they would make the technology in the prequels look so much more sleek and futuristic compared to the dirtier, earthier look of the original three films.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I liked the animation and music, but not so much the character designs, which are a downgrade from Nobuteru Yuuki/Yukata Izubuchi's and look a little too modern and clean. Not that I wouldn't mind a new adaptation of the OVA…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Aw, this brings back some sweet memories! I wonder if Shiris and Orson will be in the game? I used to love those two.

The new designs are a little jarring like some have said but, c'mon, you can't expect anyone to be able to improve on Nobuteru Yuuki!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I think they need a legitmate sequel and not the garbage that was the tv show.

You want more spark; he is one of the lamest characters I have ever seen and he almost single handily helped contribute to how bad the tv show was. They never should have done that story. They need a continuation of the ova that flows parn and deedlit's adventure post clash with Ashram. Hell even Ashram got two movies following his later exploits.

Personally I think the elves look almost identical to their ova counterparts, but Parn has definitely been reworked in character design. Although I dont get the comment about them looking more like teens, because Im sure Parn is supposed to be a teenager anyway. He is definitely not in his 20s.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
Pirotese Embarassed

Ah, such were the days.

Nice trailer, even if it's for a browser game.

About the song, I still prefer Adesso e Fortuna. At least it's not a generic soft pop song-
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
I'm okay with most of the designs, but yeah, Parn's not quite right.

As for the TV series: that was a more or less faithful adaptation of books 3, 4, 6, and 7; the problem was that it was horribly scripted, horribly directed, and blew its whole budget (apparently) on the OP.

It also let stand a critical change that the OVA made in its adaptation of book 1: namely, having Karla kill spoiler[Beld]. In the book, spoiler[a stray arrow hits Beld as he duels with Kashuu, and in Beld's instant of distraction, Kashuu whacks the Marmo king's head off. Ashram believes (with some justification) that Kashuu acted dishonorably.] In other words, if Karla kills spoiler[Beld], Ashram loses his entire motivation as a character. The TV series let that stand, so Ashram became just another eeevil villain in what could (and should) have been a story about heroism, and how even the best of us can stumble when a split-second decision has to be made.

Book 5 has never been animated. Books 6 and 7 feature mainly the new cast, which are less memorable, but not nearly as painful as the TV series made them out to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1