Forum - View topic
NEWS: All 56 One Piece Books on Japan's Weekly Top 200 Manga


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Josh7289



Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Posts: 1252
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Amazing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts



Joined: 05 May 2009
Posts: 6712
Location: Mount Crawford, Virginia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Dragon-what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
san-chan



Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 14
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for One piece!!! It deserves it. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
egoist



Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7762
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oda confirmed in an Asahi Shimbun article in November that he had planned to end the series in five years and has had the image of the final chapter established in his mind for a long time. However, creating the episodes that lead to that ending has taken longer than he had anticipated. In the manga's 13th year, he would like to say that he is 9/10ths of the way towards the end, but he acknowledged that he is only halfway there.

Or he could have saved us the trouble and skipped this pre-movie arc, which by the way, is the worst arc so far. Not to mention that the previous arc was left on hold as a massive cliffhanger. But I suppose he's talking about the manga when he says "halfway"? Then how about the anime, 20 years to go, perhaps? No matter, I'll live up to my forties either way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
dangerwhat



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Posts: 187
Location: Central Florida
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Pretty impressive
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MetatronM



Joined: 26 Mar 2004
Posts: 281
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Oda confirmed in an Asahi Shimbun article in November that he had planned to end the series in five years and has had the image of the final chapter established in his mind for a long time. However, creating the episodes that lead to that ending has taken longer than he had anticipated. In the manga's 13th year, he would like to say that he is 9/10ths of the way towards the end, but he acknowledged that he is only halfway there.

Or he could have saved us the trouble and skipped this pre-movie arc, which by the way, is the worst arc so far. Not to mention that the previous arc was left on hold as a massive cliffhanger. But I suppose he's talking about the manga when he says "halfway"? Then how about the anime, 20 years to go, perhaps? No matter, I'll live up to my forties either way.
Oda had nothing to do with that little filler arc (which is already over). And that's not in the slightest bit what they're talking about.

What they're talking about when they say "episodes leading up to that" taking longer are the individual arc storylines. In particular, I think Skypiea, Water 7, and Thriller Bark all took substantially longer than Oda thought they were going to (hell, he had planned Thriller Bark YEARS before he finally actually got to it in the story....like, 7 years before Very Happy). The CP9 saga alone ended up taking a couple of years all by itself by the time it was done.

Also, what's the deal with that math? The series is 12 years old (the anime at 10 years old), so how would that being halfway result in "20 years to go?"

But yeah, the storyline going on now in the manga is basically the "big first half climax" point of the series. So figure probably another 10 years or so before it's all done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
egoist



Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7762
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, what's the deal with that math? The series is 12 years old (the anime at 10 years old), so how would that being halfway result in "20 years to go?"

That's an estimation, not an equation. And my estimations definitely are messed up.
But I didn't know how long each arc took, nor did I try to find out. After all, I watched 300 episodes in 2 weeks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki



Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Posts: 593
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Dragon-what?
Oda probably still loves Dragonball over his own series. There probably isn't a bigger fan of it than him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Allen_ST



Joined: 11 Dec 2009
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is really amazing,but I wonder why does it have more success in Japan than the rest of the world?.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
egoist



Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7762
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Dragon-what?
Oda probably still loves Dragonball over his own series. There probably isn't a bigger fan of it than him.

Could be. Couldn't be. Well, I do prefer to eat food cooked by someone else rather than by myself, since I can't cook.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy



Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 1054
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Allen_ST wrote:
One Piece is really amazing,but I wonder why does it have more success in Japan than the rest of the world?.


I dunno about anywhere else, but in America, pirates aren't nearly as exotic as ninjas, and "exotic" is why a lot of people read manga and watch anime. And it's barely got a hope of attracting girls, partly because it's a boys' comic, but mostly because it's not about vampires. Dragon Ball Z has much more exposure here than the original Dragon Ball, which One Piece resembles more. Then there's 4kids, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm neglecting to attribute properly. It does seem to be gaining popularity, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7916
Location: IL
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow... that's quite the accomplishment.

Always good to see a great story getting even more popular.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sena_h_dei



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 32
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Allen_ST wrote:
One Piece is really amazing,but I wonder why does it have more success in Japan than the rest of the world?.


I dunno about anywhere else, but in America, pirates aren't nearly as exotic as ninjas, and "exotic" is why a lot of people read manga and watch anime. And it's barely got a hope of attracting girls, partly because it's a boys' comic, but mostly because it's not about vampires. Dragon Ball Z has much more exposure here than the original Dragon Ball, which One Piece resembles more. Then there's 4kids, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm neglecting to attribute properly. It does seem to be gaining popularity, though.


I'm a girl, I have no interest whatsoever in vampires and I absolutely ADORE One Piece! Have for years now. I'm so, so happy seeing it picking up momentum here in North America. All the recent One Piece news has turned me into a happy little fangirl. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7916
Location: IL
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I think a certain shirtless Marine Captain helps gain some female audience... though I suppose there's also shirtless Ace as well... I'd be interested to know the split between male/female One Piece readers in Japan. I'd actually bet it's a lot closer than one would initially think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChocoBar



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 164
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Allen_ST wrote:
One Piece is really amazing,but I wonder why does it have more success in Japan than the rest of the world?.


I dunno about anywhere else, but in America, pirates aren't nearly as exotic as ninjas, and "exotic" is why a lot of people read manga and watch anime. And it's barely got a hope of attracting girls, partly because it's a boys' comic, but mostly because it's not about vampires. Dragon Ball Z has much more exposure here than the original Dragon Ball, which One Piece resembles more. Then there's 4kids, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm neglecting to attribute properly. It does seem to be gaining popularity, though.

Where? It's not on tv and the manga sales can't compare with Naruto and Bleach in the U.S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group