• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009's Top-Selling Blu-ray Discs in Japan (Continued)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
There's something odd going on with Nana Mizuki Live Fighter in the music BD list. The DVDs are sold separately as Red Side and Blue Side, but the BD is one single package with Red Side and Blue Side together.

Edit: ANN fixed the list so now this post is probably rather mysterious. Very Happy
Wasn't sure if that was an ANN thing or the source had it that way.

Last edited by Annf on Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
There's something odd going on with Nana Mizuki Live Fighter in the music BD list. The DVDs are sold separately as Red Side and Blue Side, but the BD is one single package with Red Side and Blue Side together.

Because the Blu-Ray is large enough to hold both.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
So what is it about Bakemonogatari? I know is was popular this year, but what is it about it that made it such a huge hit on Blu-ray? And more so than DVD, which makes me wonder if the question is really why the sort of people who own Blu-ray players overlap so well with Bakemonogatari fans.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
So what is it about Bakemonogatari? I know is was popular this year, but what is it about it that made it such a huge hit on Blu-ray? And more so than DVD, which makes me wonder if the question is really why the sort of people who own Blu-ray players overlap so well with Bakemonogatari fans.

All anime are selling more on Blu-ray than DVD in Japan. Blu-ray market share has increased far more quickly in Japan than the US, and otaku in particular have moved to Blu-ray. 2/3 Blu-ray sales - 1/3 DVD sales seems to be the norm right now, and that's about where Bakemonogatari lies.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Yau for Bakemonogatari!!!

And Shay Guy, your question about "why is [incert anime title] is big hit" is hilariously silly. Why don't you watch it and see for yourself? Huh? You got Internet connection right? Seriously did you expect someone just to list good/bad? That list would be potentially spoilorous and might give one wrong expectations, which is the most common reason to be disappointed of anything.(nearly everything above was blatantly plagiarized from dtm42's post, sorry for that. I don't feel like being creative atm.)

EDIT: I guess I can't use <> as freely (changed to []). Html code to blame!

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Good to see that Darker Than Black (season 1) is still making money. I guess I can have my hopes for a definite third season.
As for Bakemonogatari, well, that makes another excellent anime on the list. Hopefully another season coming up.

Quote:
Huh? You got Internet connection right?(phrase above is copyrighted to dtm42, sorry for plagiarism)

Are we trying to lock even this thread? Razz
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

In terms of anime, it has found a new home on Blu-ray.
Why? Because the main buying audience in Japan are otaku's who are known to live in small apartments and have lots of disposable cash, leading them to be early adopters of most new technology.
Add in the fact that most anime is produced in HD these days, then you can sort to see why.
As for Bakemonogatari, well apart from being possibily the best show from 2009, it manages to tick pretty much all the boxes for otaku as well in terms of each of the girls (moe, tsundere, yuri, etc).
It's only natural it would do well and I for one would rather see that show reign supreme than something like K-ON, which no offense, sums up why the current market is so stagnant.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
To be honest, when given a choice, I can no longer see any good reason to settle for anime on dvd when Blu-Ray is available. Price difference between the two is more or less no consideration for me as I'm well off though, I imagine dvd still has a place for the anime buyer on a budget.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Its easy to tell the Otaku have moved onto Bluray by the number of K-ON volumes on the list. Speaking of which how many episodes per disc are those? K-ON wasn't very long if I remember, couldn't they have easily fit the series on one Bluray? I know its most likely just a money thing by releasing it in parts, and I'm sure it won't stop them from releasing it as a complete set later on to get people to buy the same thing all over again.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
2 episodes per BluRay I'm pretty sure.

And yeah, both K-ON! and Bakemonogatari have huge BluRay numbers because they were a hit with otaku, who are the backbone of the anime industry in Japan it seems.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Only two episodes per Bluray? Wow what a waste of space, literally. Do they pack a lot of extras into them as well? Even then I doubt it would fill the disc. I'm all for the anime industry making money, I want them to live but two epispdes seems like a rip off. Do anime dvds in Japan do this as well? And here I thought American anime dvds were bad with their 3 to 4 episode volumes.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
OutlawGundam wrote:
Only two episodes per Bluray? Wow what a waste of space, literally. Do they pack a lot of extras into them as well? Even then I doubt it would fill the disc. I'm all for the anime industry making money, I want them to live but two epispdes seems like a rip off. Do anime dvds in Japan do this as well? And here I thought American anime dvds were bad with their 3 to 4 episode volumes.

This info can be found on cdjapan (ep/disc, extras)....

K-On!
Bakemonogatari
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Look at those prices too.

$80... sheesh. That would never fly here.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Yea not a lot of extras on there, pretty standard looking stuff. They are preying off the Otakus right there, they are most likely some of the only ones who would paid such prices for so little. Is this standard practice on all Japanese anime Bluray releases?
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
sheez, once I looked at the Bekemono figures and thought about it... that like FLCL realm expensive. So, yay for being popular, but OI! Makes me doubtful a release will fly here until it's $60 for the full 15 eps. and even then, I dunno if the hype is enough to sell it. Which is sad, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it's niche title... Seems like they always have tried to get releases expensive up front, even if that limits them, rather than a normal price upfront, and try to build in a lot of purchases to make profit. Maybe no matter how you slice it, the market for such a show just isn't big enough.

I'm curious to see how Kannagi actually flew, since Bandai really controlled it's release to just RightStuff, and Bandai storfront on Amazon. From the perspective that Bandai reaps more direct profit without so many middlemen, this is smart. I wonder if that limited their overall sell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2