• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yu-Gi-Oh and Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Anime #790, just listed as "Yu-Gi-Oh!", is two different anime. I've brought this up before but no one did anything. x_x Why are they listed together? They aren't separate seasons of the same anime. They're two different series, with completely different voice casts and animation. They're also two years apart, and what kind of series has that long of a hiatus between seasons? It's because it's not the same anime~! Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters is when they started actually doing card duels.. Yu-Gi-Oh is based off the earlier manga before that was introduced. Duel Monsters isn't just the subtitle for the American release. It's the original name for the newer series.

Pokemon and Pokemon Advance are separate entries as they also should be, so why isn't this when the differences are much greater than the two Pokemon series? Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
Anime Insider #11 (January 2004, pp.68-72) displayed an episode guide to the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh!. The first series was animated by Toei (Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon), and like it was mentioned earlier, was based on the manga serialized in Shonen Jump. The Yu-Gi-Oh! series that we all know and love(?) was animated by Studio Gallop/NAS, and that, of course, has the immensely popular TCG.

I agree with you, Michi, that Series 1 of Yu-Gi-Oh! should be separate from Series 2 (Duel Monsters). They list the 5 seasons of Sailor Moon separate, even though it's the same anime series, so I don't understand why they merged the two different Yu-Gi-Oh! series. The new series, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX, has its own entry in the Encyclopedia.

You'll never see the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh! here in North America for two reasons. First, the card game is mostly out of sight in this series, and it was the popularity of the TCG that basically lauched the second anime series. (This also answers the question of why there was a 2-year hiatus between series.) The second (and most important) reason was the way Yami Yugi used brutal acts of terror and violence to take out the bad guys, through the punishing images of the Shadow Realm. Since Yu-Gi-Oh! is mainly aimed at kids in America, and American TV standards are different from Japan, it would be suicidal to expose a more mature, violent Yu-Gi-Oh! to American kids.

EDIT: I changed the post to reflect the comments that Ryusui made. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Wink

Last edited by biliano on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Thank you. ^^ Now if only someone would actually do something about it. =/ We just need a new series entry, is all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Um, is anyone going to try and fix this? We just need a new anime entry for Duel Monsters, and I'm perfectly willing to go in and add all the names again (and help delete all the Duel Monsters entries on the first series)...

Anyone? Maybe I'll just try to submit a Duel Monsters entry...
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
First, the card game is nowhere to be found in this series

Not quite. I haven't watched the series myself, but I do know that Kaiba and the Magic & Wizards/Duel Monsters TCG do appear (watch the OP if you don't believe me). I don't know if it got as far as the Death-T story arc, however: the OP implies that this story already ran in the manga when the series started airing, since it features Exodia the Forbidden One, but if you're curious, the first episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters is actually an ultra-compressed version of the original manga's entire Kaiba storyline. Overall, it's not quite as good as the original Kaiba story, but you can't argue with some of the most memorable lines spoken:

"Ore no hiita kaado wa...Fuuinsareshi Exodia!"

"Ikari no gouka...Exode Flame!"
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Michi. I didn't see your reply until yesterday, but it was my pleasure to help you out. Wink

Did you notify any of the members of the Encyclopedia staff? If you did, just give them some time to work it out. They're usually pretty busy. If you don't know who they are, check the Staff section under About ANN, or you can e-mail them.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry *wants to be on the encyclopedia staff so very much* Anime cry I have so much free time, I have extensive anime knowledge and research capabilities aside from not being much of a fan these days, and I am a perfectionist. Anime hyper

ANYWAY.

I haven't sent anyone a message or anything. I think I might. I just submitted Duel Monsters as a new series, but eh.
Dreams

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
They're absolutely separate series. I know because I own all the episodes of both. :D
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Approved. See if anyone of you have the strength to start migrating this huge amount of data from the old one to the new one.

Official sites:
Original (1998) series: http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/yugioh/
Duel Monsters (2000-2004) series: http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/yugioh2000/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh I have the strength. Anime hyper I do.

But I can't switch the "related releases" and "news" over. =/ They're all Duel Monsters related. All of the English staff and voices have to do with the Duel Monsters series too, so that should just be wiped from the original Yu-Gi-Oh entry.

*goes to add everything to Duel Monsters*

Oh, and the U.S. movie should be related to Duel Monsters too, and the manga needs to link to both. Eh, Duel Monsters is really just an extra adaptation of the manga; it isn't a sequel to the first Yu-Gi-Oh series. It's just another version of the anime. ^^; Maybe someone who knows it better can define it better.. perhaps alternate retelling of the first Yu-Gi-Oh anime would fit.
LazerBlader

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
I like the Toei YGO. It sorta is nice that they're lives don't revolve ENTIRELY around DM and its sorta more humorous and interesting.

But I love YGO-DM and YGO-GX a lot also.
keichi san

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
will YGO DX be airing in America? I'm guessing it's the same thing as the YGO Grand Prix?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Only bad thing about fixing the titles is now YGO original series has all these views and ratings that don't belong to it. =/

I added most of the cast for YGO DM, but I can't switch over the DVD releases...

And I'm sure we'll get the new YGO series here. It's still about cards, so it'll sell. Razz
keichi san

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame , they focus too much on the cards. Focus on the show people!! Even when the movie came out in theaters they were giving out free cards at the theaters. ( i guess it was to compensate for how bad the movie was)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1