• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shōjo Manga Pioneer Moto Hagio Heads to Comic-Con

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:29 am Reply with quote
Totally wrong crowd, but good luck boosting interest in her manga.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:04 am Reply with quote
Meh, I kind of doubt she'd gather more of a crowd at a random animeconvention. Last time I checked, the avarage fan doesn't read old shoujo manga. (Even though they should!)
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote
Yea, i doubt that she will meet her public in such convention.

I think they wanted to make a strong gesture symbolizing their commitment to their new manga line. We will certainly have English & Japanese coverage of Moto Hagio presence there. So this is a net positive.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
Comic-Con in San Diego has a lot of pop culture cross appeal. This is the con where there will also be a lot of movies and TV stuff also.

To me it also seems like it means they may end up marketing to the independent comics crowd. Which isn't a bad thing as they (independent comics readers) would be more open to her older art style then the 'average' anime/manga fan. Vertical and Drawn & Quarterly both do this and it seems to have worked well for them so far.

Though it makes me want to go to San Diego Comic-Con. I may have to look into this...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Totally wrong crowd, but good luck boosting interest in her manga.

Really?
How many & when was the last Comic Con you attended?
The glory & the hell of Comic Con IS the diversity. At any given hour, there are a dozen panels on everything from gays in comics to exploring the direction of comics to comic law as well as gaming, collecting & the media. Some of the rooms hit capacity, but overall Comic Con is a bunch of little interest groups under one roof. I've been doing it since about 2002 & the only media even type panel I sat in on was the last few minutes of the AstroBoy panel in one of the huge rooms because my daughter wanted to hit the WoW panel which followed. Even the lesser known Korean authors can usually get a crowd for signatures.

The thing many of these celebrities like is they are fairly well respected at Comic Con. Most of the Japanese authors do not want photos taken & the crowd complies.
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Lucky people. ;____;
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Alternative comics fans are probably already more familiar with her than anime/manga fans. Check out the non-anime-fan comics blogs around the internet and you will see that most of them are excited about the recent Hagio news. Most of the typical anime/manga fan sites, however, are just going: "HUH?"

So this is definitely likely the better target crowd for her.

I'm sniggering now at how Dirk was originally going to release the Hagio news on Animenewsnetwork, when the news has been far better received already elsewhere.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
What a great artist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1