• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Valerian & Laureline 1-40 (d)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
I thought this show was very entertaining. The dub is hilarious.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
Due to audio sync issues, I'm taking this off the front page temporarily. Hope to have it fixed shortly.
EDIT: Aaaand fixed! Enjoy, sorry for the delay.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
I really liked the show (saw it off of satelite's official YouTube site for the series)... Took a little while to acclimate to the English dub (English as in UK English...) but it was pretty good and the chemistry/bickering between Valerian and Laureline are what make the show. Last 2 episodes were just plain awesome. It's Star Wars meets James Bond meets Johnny Quest - a very fun time traveling, galaxy questing adventure with some romance and a lot of comedy. If the Dub ever becomes available on DVD I would love to get it...
Iritscen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Is it my imagination, or is this show missing from the vaunted ANN Encyclopedia?
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute.....is this a dub only release? I never thought i'd see the day...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen, you are not imagining, ANN obviously knows about this show but doesn't believe it's anime? I don't know, really have no idea why an anime series from 4 years ago is not listed...

Quote:
Wait a minute.....is this a dub only release? I never thought i'd see the day...

Yes but the DVD set is only available in French from what I could find... hopefully that will change in the future.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I watched the last episode to see if this is a series I'd be interested in watching (yes, I know, no comments about my watching habits), and I couldn't help but roll on the floor laughing after hearing, "I curse you, Valerian!"

Man, that was horribly bad. This dub is a hoot. Laughing

Some voice actors do a decent job, and others... well.

And Valerian's voice just didn't really fit him, for me. The entire time I was listening, I couldn't help but think of William from Titanic: The Legend Goes On (AKA Titanic: The Animated Musical Shocked) - their voices sound the same to me. Laughing

I may watch it (big maybe). I wish I could hear the French version, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Vracer111 wrote:
Iritscen, you are not imagining, ANN obviously knows about this show but doesn't believe it's anime? I don't know, really have no idea why an anime series from 4 years ago is not listed..

Because it's not really anime. It's no more anime than Teen Titans. It's a co-production. French written, but animated in Japan; similar to Oban Star Racers. Then again, Oban Star Racers is actually in the database so *shrug*

Cue another debate on what 'anime' is I guess.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Because it's not really anime. It's no more anime than Teen Titans. It's a co-production. French written, but animated in Japan; similar to Oban Star Racers. Then again, Oban Star Racers is actually in the database so *shrug*

Well, it's a bit more Japanese than Teen Titans. Satelight was on the production committee (and is, in fact, our licensor for it). One of the executive producers, most of the storyboard artists, and pretty much all of the 2D animation staff are Japanese. On a binary scale, it'd be split down the middle. A total co-production start-to-finish.

There is no Japanese version in existence, though. But the English dub does use BBC Radio Drama talent, so you might recognize Alison Dowling (Laureline) as Annapuma and Unipuma in Dominion Tank Police.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
hm, first time I heard of this anime, interesting. I didn't know this was a co-production between Japan and France. So this is another anime co-production. I might give this anime a watch.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:41 am Reply with quote
Oh, man, I remember sometime last semester after I finished Wakfu asking for other non-anime but non-American animated shows to watch and this one came onto my radar! And just today I can see that it is now available streaming online! Cus it sure never aired on TV, dammit! At least not TV in America, why can't we get shiny awesome stuff like this in America? Wonder if they have any plans to put this on DVD R1, I'm starting to hope they do!

Oh yeah, and so far it reminds me a bit of Doctor Who, time machine spaceship that's considered a hunk of junk? Picking up a companion from another time? Except for them both being human, it does remind me a good bit of Doctor Who, and that's always a good thing in my book!
DanielJr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Is 40 episodes the entirety of it? Looks like something I'd buy.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
this is a really fun show. Nothing amazing or great but a fun entertaining show and the dub is actually not all that bad. Though for a time travel show it didn't have enough it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
greeneva33

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I loved this show! It has a great pulpy feel, which is what you would expect from the source material. Is there any news on a US/UK DVD release for this? I'd love to show this to my club, but the fact that the only available version of it is streaming is a bit problematic...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1