• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Delays HD Releases

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
I believe the planned HD releases (Noir, RahXephon, and FMP!) have all been canceled outright, rather than just indefinitely delayed. The plan was to re-release the three series as a matter of course, and the WMV-HD discs to be included in each new two-disc set were a really creative bonus extra item (albeit a pricey one that resulted in an MSRP of $29.98 for each volume as opposed to something lower that one might expect for a re-release). Since the WMV-HD versions were shelved (so technically, I guess the header of the news item is correct, since we'll most likely be seeing these shows released on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray sometime down the road), the re-releases are just back to being standard re-releases at bargain prices. The scheduled FMP! thinpak collection is the first of these, and there will be one for RahXephon and one for Noir coming as well.

Source
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote
The link in the article heads to an adminsator part of the site.

As for this, I too heard that they were outright cancled. I didn't think it was that good of an idea in the first place, so mit's a good move on ADV's part in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:28 am Reply with quote
The idea of putting niche (depsite how popular they are in fandom) titles on a niche format, and expecting the people who paid through the nose the first time to buy them again (so what, you could have crystal clear four frames per second and jilted dialouge in DTS?) probably came into ADV's head, and they just stepped back for a second and though "not worth it, wait for Blu-ray/HD-DVD".
Toboe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:49 am Reply with quote
So... they cancelled 19 manga titles... continue to re-release the same series again and again... keep cancelling or pushing back releases...

anyone else getting the feeling that things aren't going so well for ADV? When's the last time they announced a new license?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:58 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
So... they cancelled 19 manga titles... continue to re-release the same series again and again... keep cancelling or pushing back releases...

anyone else getting the feeling that things aren't going so well for ADV? When's the last time they announced a new license?

Lets not forget the street team advertising for TAN (which faces some serious competiton and decimation should Animax come about), the Live action Evangelion they banked $100 mil into (and so far has served as a now cancelled extra on a now pointless DVD), delays in titles that have been licensed coming out, and last I heard Newtype wasn't going too well either.

You think, perhaps they went a little bit too far and are getting burnt?
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
So... they cancelled 19 manga titles... continue to re-release the same series again and again...

I think that's my biggest beef with ADV. Instead of busting their ass and trying to get licenses that are commercially viable, they've been coasting on Newtype and TAN and released a thousand different versions of Evangelion. The anime market has changed drastically from when ADV started out, but sometimes I'm not so sure that they get that. I mean, you'll notice that when the discussion of a license for a hot new title comes up, you very rarely see ADV's name involved.

They're going to have to change that if they want to survive.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

No, you just need to be registered for the forum and logged in...

Quote:
I believe the planned HD releases (Noir, RahXephon, and FMP!) have all been canceled outright, rather than just indefinitely delayed.

I've gotten mixed signals on this, and even DLW's posts over at ADV say two different things,

DLW wrote:
That was just one extra of many which isn't coming now so I guess it's all moot.

Quote:
Yes the various re-releases which were to include an HD version as an extra have been shelved for now.

So "indefinitely delayed" seems appropriate to me.

-t
Ryo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

No, you just need to be registered for the forum and logged in...

Not the "discuss" link. He's talking about the "Volume 1" link.
The correct URL would be:
release#4027

instead of:
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/admin.release.php?op=EDIT&id=4027
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
I personally wish they'd just try to make a few more box sets rather than improve a series that's already been released in completion.

All these re-releases don't really matter to me because I don't feel the titles they had planned to spruce up even need that kind of treatment. These three are pretty recent titles, so it's not like the animation needs any revamping, unlike Eva.

And who'd want to buy these titles anyway just to hear their bland voice acting in a DTS 5.1 mix? Although, their 5.1 DD mixes seem to make their voices seem even more flat, and it's always been a theory of mine that the only reason they even make 5.1 DD tracks is to compensate for the (*cough* bad) voice acting. Perhaps they think the English DTS 5.1 can cover it up even more? Anime smile + sweatdrop

As much as I dislike their dubbing, though, I'd still rather not seen them kick the bucket. Their more recent titles like AzuDai and... well, whatever else, have been great in terms of the Japanese side of things.
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

And who'd want to buy these titles anyway just to hear their bland voice acting in a DTS 5.1 mix? Although, their 5.1 DD mixes seem to make their voices seem even more flat, and it's always been a theory of mine that the only reason they even make 5.1 DD tracks is to compensate for the (*cough* bad) voice acting. Perhaps they think the English DTS 5.1 can cover it up even more? Anime smile + sweatdrop

bland??

Are we listening to the same dubs?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Are there that many HD receivers in the US to warrant an HD disk in the first place?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:

Yes, but it's just a personal preference of mine. I never liked their dubbing to begin with Anime smallmouth. Evangelion was the first thing I heard, and after listening to the first two episodes in English, I borrowed the DVD from a friend, decided to start over, listened to the original Japanese track just for kicks (since I was still kind of new to anime at the time) and haven't liked a single ADV dub since (or ever, for that matter Razz).
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Are there that many HD receivers in the US to warrant an HD disk in the first place?

The biggest part of the problem, is that WMV-HD can basically only be played on a computer at the moment. There are one, perhaps two standalone players that will supposedly play it, but they aren't mainstream players either.
Gamelore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
IanC wrote:

Yes, but it's just a personal preference of mine. I never liked their dubbing to begin with Anime smallmouth. Evangelion was the first thing I heard, and after listening to the first two episodes in English, I borrowed the DVD from a friend, decided to start over, listened to the original Japanese track just for kicks (since I was still kind of new to anime at the time) and haven't liked a single ADV dub since (or ever, for that matter Razz).

I don't know if you can call the dub on Noir a matter of "preference." It just plain sucks any way you look at it. Up until Noir, I had always watched dubs and never considered subs. Noir changed me. Monica Rial's voice just did not fit at all. It was an awful choice for that character. Just plain awful. Ruined the show completely.

Since then, I only watch subs because a crappy English dub ruined what could possibly have been my favorite anime series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2