• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai Ending Theme Contest Held

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pants

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime's voice cast will sing the winning songs, and Aniplex will give 100,000 yen (about US$1,100) to each winner. In addition to being used in the television broadcast, the songs will be heard on the Blu-ray/DVD releases, video streams, merchandising, events, promotions, and CDs.

Aaah the good ol' "we-don't-have-budget-so-lets-ask-the-fans" Laughing
Reminds me of when Crunchyroll tried to get people to subtitle that crappy Tezuka show for old films. Razz
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Pants wrote:
Quote:
The anime's voice cast will sing the winning songs, and Aniplex will give 100,000 yen (about US$1,100) to each winner. In addition to being used in the television broadcast, the songs will be heard on the Blu-ray/DVD releases, video streams, merchandising, events, promotions, and CDs.

Aaah the good ol' "we-don't-have-budget-so-lets-ask-the-fans" Laughing
Reminds me of when Crunchyroll tried to get people to subtitle that crappy Tezuka show for old films. Razz

I have a feeling that it's cheaper to pay out 1,100 to 12 amateurs than hire a composer actually.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hiroyuki Oda, an illustrator on the original work, is handling the anime character designs

Being picky here, but that should be "the illustrator of the original work", not "an illustrator on the original work". He uses a different name for his anime staff position, but it's the same person and the wording makes it seems like there's more than one illustrator on the original work.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a fantastic idea. It's a great way to engage the fans, over the usual producer -> consumer relationship. Plus there is a lot of excellent talent in the fandom (see doujin music groups).

Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
I have a feeling that it's cheaper to pay out 1,100 to 12 amateurs than hire a composer actually.

They could do it in house for less, if not for "free" since they will already have a composer for the soundtrack. They would just need to hire a songwriter and/or singer if needed.

However, $13,200 flat for 12 different songs is certainly orders of magnitude cheaper than licensing commercially published songs (unless they can get a deal from Sony, being Aniplex and all),
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1