• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle topic?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Am I just totally blind, or is there no Tsubasa discussion topic on this forum? I can't imagine why there wouldn't be, but I've searched around and came up empty. If there is one already (perhaps under an alternate/Japanese title or something), please point me in its direction and lock this topic.

Otherwise, mods, feel free to edit topic title and intro paragraph(s) to reflect this becoming the aforementioned Tsubasa topic.

In any event, I'm really enjoying the series thus far. Nice mixture of fantasy, lighthearted comedy, and supernatural elements. I'm a huge fan of other clamp projects (XXXHOLiC and Chobits in particular), so the character cameos/crossovers coupled with the familiar visual stylings made this especially east to get into.

I'm up to episode 15 and I really just have one question: (without spoiling) is it ever (or was it already) explained why Sakura's memory feathers grant people in other dimensions supernatural/magic powers?

Last edited by Sohma_Curse on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
I dont think any show from 8 years ago has a discussion thread.

I think that question is answered, I just don't remember when
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
Tsubasa, especially the anime, is disliked. A lot of the manga fans pretend it doesn't exist. I don’t think the manga is that great either.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, usually when it is discussed, people are just disappointed in how it turned out compared to the manga. I haven't seen it yet and don't really plan to, since I'm only a casual fan of the manga.
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Tsubasa, especially the anime, is disliked. A lot of the manga fans pretend it doesn't exist. I don’t think the manga is that great either.

This, pretty much. It's VERY old (from around the same time as xxxHolic first appeared), it didn't start much fire stateside, and is now seen as "The artsy-pretentious version of Card Captor Sakura".
(Which is still the more fondly remembered of the two CLAMP series.)

Now, as for Sakura, that can still get a thread going sometimes, although it'll usually be from some child-of-the-90's who misses Cardcaptors. Very Happy
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
Hmm...Why is it so (universally) disliked? I mean, sure, it seems pretty standard and formulaic so far, and I can imagine it being pretty repetitive after 52 episodes, but it does have its own charms and redeeming qualities (and it's nowhere near the worst thing I've ever seen).

Is it just a matter of it being different from the manga (I don't read any manga, so I have no comparative reference point)? Without spoiling, what are some of the major differences in the anime that people dislike?
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
The REAL lesson here is to read the first post and not just the topic title. I was about to post my surprise that... the top soccer anime didn't have a topic here and that fans didn't like it compared to the manga.

Anyway, if there is no topic for a show and you think people here can have meaningful discussion then by all means make one. Just include an ANN encyclopedia entry in your first post.

For the record, what killed most of the Cardcaptor Sakura topics I've ever been in was abundant H doujin trading, not any nostalgia complaints.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Like a lot of Bee Train anime, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle had some absolutely gorgeous music, but it failed at pretty much everything else.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Is it just a matter of it being different from the manga

IIRC, this was definitely the biggest complaint. I never bothered to watch the anime, since no one seemed to like it, plus I'm more of a xxxHolic fan (which also has a disappointing anime, though for different reasons). I remember a friend who absolutely loved the manga being extremely disappointed in the anime for the changes made.

Also, reading some of the ANN reviews and threads, it sounds like people didn't much care for the slow pacing either. There were four reviews done, so there is some discussion out there if you want to look back at it.

That said, it still has an okay rating from users here. But it never really inspired all that much discussion, beyond debates over whether it was any good or not.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
The REAL lesson here is to read the first post and not just the topic title. I was about to post my surprise that... the top soccer anime didn't have a topic here and that fans didn't like it compared to the manga.

Fix'd topic title Wink
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
When the anime was being done, the manga wasn't nearly close to being done, and as a result, as the anime progressed, it become more infused with fillers, with most of Season 2 being filler, including the gecko ending.

I, for one, did like Tsubasa when it first started, but as it moved further and further into filler territory, my interest waned. The plot simply stalled and the actual filler events were uninteresting and sometimes outright dumb. But then you get something like the movies that got made, which made me wish that someone would come along FMA: Brotherhood-style (or maybe HunterXHunter-style), and just do the series from beginning to end. But I seriously doubt anything like that will happen, which, IMO, is a shame.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
When the anime was being done, the manga wasn't nearly close to being done, and as a result, as the anime progressed, it become more infused with fillers, with most of Season 2 being filler, including the gecko ending.

I, for one, did like Tsubasa when it first started, but as it moved further and further into filler territory, my interest waned. The plot simply stalled and the actual filler events were uninteresting and sometimes outright dumb. But then you get something like the movies that got made, which made me wish that someone would come along FMA: Brotherhood-style (or maybe HunterXHunter-style), and just do the series from beginning to end. But I seriously doubt anything like that will happen, which, IMO, is a shame.

Interesting. So then why would they even produce season two knowing that the manga wouldn't catch up with them? Why not just make season one as awesome as they could and leave it somewhat open ended (like so many anime with ongoing manga at the time of their release do anyway) and hold off on the second season until they can either a) conceptualize a proper, filler-free offshoot, or b) follow the manga that has been released since the first season ended (or c) just end the anime altogether)?

And speaking of the movies, how are the Tsubasa OVAs/Specials; Tokyo Revelations/Spring Thunder/The Princess in the Birdcage Kingdom, compared to the anime? Are they looked upon any more favorably? I have Birdcage Kingdom on the CLAMP Double Feature Blu Ray, but am waiting until I complete the series to see it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

This is what I would say as well. Although, I never read the manga, I just watched the abortion of an anime. Basically, I just found it to be incredibly disappointing overall. spoiler[Yes, the story is initially really engaging but the way it's paced shoots itself in the foot and the show just loses that momentum until it just becomes downright boring and incredibly repetitive.] Add to the fact that spoiler[it ends without concluding the story] and you can probably guess why it isn't too popular. It just ended up being CLAMP fan wank; an excuse for their characters from other stories to have random cameos. After that they made a couple of OVAs, but spoiler[they are really disorienting because they skipped a whole bunch of stuff and it really shows. The OVAs are actually really good, and delve deeper into the show's main story again, revealing some surprising twists, however, like the show they don't deliver on concluding the story, either.]

The Yuki Kajiura soundtrack is indeed the show's best feature, sadly.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Interesting. So then why would they even produce season two knowing that the manga wouldn't catch up with them? Why not just make season one as awesome as they could and leave it somewhat open ended (like so many anime with ongoing manga at the time of their release do anyway) and hold off on the second season until they can either a) conceptualize a proper, filler-free offshoot, or b) follow the manga that has been released since the first season ended (or c) just end the anime altogether)?

And speaking of the movies, how are the Tsubasa OVAs/Specials; Tokyo Revelations/Spring Thunder/The Princess in the Birdcage Kingdom, compared to the anime? Are they looked upon any more favorably? I have Birdcage Kingdom on the CLAMP Double Feature Blu Ray, but am waiting until I complete the series to see it.

Tokyo Revelations / Spring Thunder are pretty good, but they're out-of-sequence with the series, taking place somewhat later than where it ends. So if you don't already know what's been going, you're going to be flat-footed at the beginning. But I enjoyed them well enough.

IIRC, Clamp was doing the manga at a pretty haphazard pace (and Tsubasa ties in with xxxHolic (and some other stuff)). Also, they didn't seem anywhere near being done at the time the series was going (like Claymore or Soul Eater or, yes, FMA). Remember that one of the main reasons an anime series is created is to sell product like manga or books or other merchandise. In those cases, they tend to strike while the iron is hot, even if that means the source material isn't anywhere near completion.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Revelations makes sense if you just pretend the last 10 Eps of T:RC didn't happen
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2