Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Junjō Romantica DVD 1-3


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ayashe



Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 120
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Junjou Romantica (particularly the second season) is one the most romantic yaoi out there. And Usagi and Misaki are the best thing about it, Egoist and Terrorist are completely ridiculous an annoying pairings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kyokun703



Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Posts: 2505
Location: Orgrimmar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
Really? I didn't particularly care for the Usami/Misaki pairing. I did like Usami's obsession with cute things though.

Egoist was my favorite, as they are both older mature men of roughly the same age. I'm not into the whole barely legal/rape-but-not-really deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
momogoldfish



Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 135
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Really? I didn't particularly care for the Usami/Misaki pairing. I did like Usami's obsession with cute things though.

Egoist was my favorite, as they are both older mature men of roughly the same age. I'm not into the whole barely legal/rape-but-not-really deal.


Same here, and cheesy though it is, you have to admit that some of the lines are heart meltingly sweet.

The rape issues only gets addressed in season 2, along with the anime veering slightly from the manga and had less deus sex machina. Its not really nearly enough but probably slightly better than most.

Can't seem to recall Kazuhiko Inoue in Gravitation, now if you say Kakashi in Naruto and Klaus from Maiden Rose I am sure more people can make the connection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CCSYueh



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Posts: 2707
Location: San Diego, CA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Takahiro Sakurai playing…contrary to type


I guess he reminds me of Yuri Shibuya/Kyo Kara Maoh in this role that I never really saw it as contrary to type. Yuri gets flustered a lot.

Quote:
Regardless of the novelty (or lack thereof) in each coupling, the rest of the show is just a bad aimless mess. Thanks to the heavy use of flashback and monologue to save on budget, each episode save for the two-parters can be watched as a standalone, each introducing a new conflict that throws the pair into turmoil but has little to do with the conflict before and after it.


I can't change the fact I'm reading the manga so maybe it makes more sense to me, but my memory is the jumbled format is the manga format. I also watched this when it was released on dvd a couple months ago...I swear I remember thinking they brought more of the stuff we learned later into the Misaki/Usami relationship. I hate the egoist part of Junjyo Egoist & Junjyo Terrorist is just a fricken brat boy.
Since you mention Gravitation, I'll assume you've seen it & thus are familiar with the damaged seme which Usami very much is.

Quote:
The quarrel of the day could nearly be drawn from a hat and assigned to any couple and tweaked for character quirks. “You moved away without telling me!” “There's someone else!” “I don't want to admit I'm gay!” Never fear, for all shall be healed with hugs, kisses, and hopefully an exotic place to make love. Like most yaoi accounts, and this is one place Romantica does not attempt to deviate from the norm, all these problems really could have been solved with simple communication...often one honest sentence. It's certainly interesting to have unconventional, tumultuous relationships onscreen, but does every boys' love pairing have to rely on constant deceit, denial, coercion and…statutory rape?


Remove the statutory rape bit (isn't Misaki in college? Going to have to check Vol 1) & isn't that ALL romance? I'm looking forward to that new show they're advertising on Discovery ID "What the (Beep) Did I Marry?" Hell, any number of those murder tales common to that channel make it seem as though half the people in the US aren't who they claim to be. It's not like we don't hear about everyone from celebrities (Tiger Woods?) to local news telling tales of affairs gone wrong/murders/blackmail/whatever.

Usami's a mess. However the Misaki/Usami relationship is, for my money, the most rewarding of the series.
Frankly if it were a normal, mundane, everyday romance, what would be the point of watching? Sorry, I don't see the interest in reality tv. I get enough reality everyday. I always thought escaping from the day-to-day grind was one of the reason for entertainment existing.

As for the rape scenario-yeah, it's a crutch we moved past in the West, but when I was a teen, that rape scenario was a staple of romance stories. It was a way to move the romance along. There's also the whole "good girls don't enjoy sex" line gals were fed a few decades back--that only girls of ill-repute-"loose women""floozies"- enjoyed sex & it was something women were supposed to tolerate, but not enjoy in marriage. Since I'm not Japanese, I can't say this is necessarily where it's coming from in yaoi, but God knows I heard more than a few of those supermarket potboilers of the 1970's described as "rape fantasy". I can't say what I've read of the state of sexual relations in Japan that they're any further along than we were 30 years ago.

Obviously the manga has way more to it, but I was impressed the anime did as well as it did with the story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
SpikesGrrl



Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 152
Location: The Bebop with Spike
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
momogoldfish wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Really? I didn't particularly care for the Usami/Misaki pairing. I did like Usami's obsession with cute things though.

Egoist was my favorite, as they are both older mature men of roughly the same age. I'm not into the whole barely legal/rape-but-not-really deal.


Same here, and cheesy though it is, you have to admit that some of the lines are heart meltingly sweet.

The rape issues only gets addressed in season 2, along with the anime veering slightly from the manga and had less deus sex machina. Its not really nearly enough but probably slightly better than most.

Can't seem to recall Kazuhiko Inoue in Gravitation, now if you say Kakashi in Naruto and Klaus from Maiden Rose I am sure more people can make the connection.


He played Eiri Yuki in Gravatation. I may be in the minority but I like the Misaki/Akihiko pairing because Misaki is so naive. Then Hiroki/Nowaki, I find Shinobu annoying
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
momogoldfish



Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 135
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote
My bad...I always thought Eiri was played by someone else due to something I read at TVtropes (which just show you can never 100% trust the internet)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunflower



Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 1080
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
This is why ANN has become largely irrelevant to me. What's the point of having someone who hasn't a clue about a genre review one of its titles? Why not bring in anime-hating moms to review the other titles here for other moms who hate anime? Or better yet, to show their bias against said anime fans? Because that's how this review reads to me, dismissive and divisive about a segment of the anime fandom that the reviewer doesn't agree with or understand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CreisSema



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is why ANN has become largely irrelevant to me. What's the point of having someone who hasn't a clue about a genre review one of its titles? Why not bring in anime-hating moms to review the other titles here for other moms who hate anime? Or better yet, to show their bias against said anime fans? Because that's how this review reads to me, dismissive and divisive about a segment of the anime fandom that the reviewer doesn't agree with or understand.


i totally agree! i can still remember when this anime first came out : the first yaoi tv series, not OVA, and it went on for another series! Yay!!! Of course, everyone has the right to his/her own opinion... good or bad, but the fact remains that Junjou Romantica is a long-standing favorite for a lot of people who would definitely give it more than a "C", who supported the anime throughout two seasons and the manga throughout 13 volumes! That should say something about the overall quality of this series...at least for some of us. After all his is not the first review about anime in morally gray areas that get underrated...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neocloud9



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 1178
Location: Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:53 am Reply with quote
Echoing what others have said, the show does break genre norms by directly addressing its rape-ish beginnings later on in season two and becomes much more rewarding for having done so.

Seriously, aside from one instance in the first half of the first episode, there isn't any non-consensual sex in this series... And most Junjo fans really begrudge that early scene.

But like I said, it does get addressed rather well in season two (why they waited so long to do so, I'll never know) and one of the best things about this series is seeing it evolve past its yaoi one-shot cliches as the show progresses.

I do wonder why Hope got assigned this, though... Isn't that kinda like having Zac review a moe title?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Myaow



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
Huh? I thought that the review made it very clear that Chapman is familiar with the yaoi genre and its trappings and is able to view Junjo Romantica in its proper context. I mean, look: she spent a lot of time in the review pointing out the ways that the show follows the yaoi stereotypes and deviates from them!

I haven't seen this show, but I think the review does a fine job of letting readers know if they want to check it out (which I presumed was the point of these reviews.) It states clearly why some people would enjoy this toon and also states why others would want to avoid it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neocloud9



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 1178
Location: Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
Well, hopefully Hope can pop in the forums to speak for herself soon, but I'd always been under the impression that she really disliked yaoi. And describing the series thusly:

Quote:
still a parade of unrealistic, deceit-based, destructive relationships to amuse the ladies


...It's not hard to see why I might think so. Believe me, this show is certainly not without its flaws, especially in the beginning. And several out-and-out yaoi fans would be able to tear into its writing, pacing, etc... But it is in no way a glorification of destructive relationships. None of the relationships in this series are destructive or deceit-based, and the only reason I can think of for why someone might think so is if they automatically assume the worst from any yaoi title and don't bother to see how the show itself overcomes the more negative tropes of its genre.

Some of Hope's tweets from right before she began watching certainly showed a negatively biased expectation going into it, but like I said, I'd much rather she come into the forums to better explain her position herself. I've always respected her insight and fairness, so I'd really like to hear from her on this matter in particular.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3468
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
So when you talk about how episodic this is and how it's made up of three stories, can you just skip the relationship that starts with rape and go on to the other stories? They sound a bit more interesting as sort of melodramatic romances.

And yeah, I stand on the "rape is not okay just because it's supposedly part of the genre" side of any debate. It's just... not, okay? If this were a man and a woman I don't think it would even be an issue, why should it be different if we're talking about two men? You can have a dominant/submissive relationship that's still consensual, but no means no and rape is rape.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
glitteringloke



Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 160
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
momogoldfish wrote:

Can't seem to recall Kazuhiko Inoue in Gravitation, now if you say Kakashi in Naruto and Klaus from Maiden Rose I am sure more people can make the connection.


as someone said before, he was Yuki. and in this he just makes miyagi ♥ (and about a plethora of other semes on bl drama cds, but that's something else completely Wink)

Sakurai plays spazzy characters almost every time i hear him, how was this different? it's more like his non-spazzy Kanda types are out of norm.

Most people I know that like junjou are fans of either egoist and/or terrorist (me, being one of those few that put terrorist higher but that's probably because i relate to a lot of it in my sad little life). It's been a while since i watched it, but I don't remember a lot of resistance past that first scene and if i remember right, in that first scene, misaki didn't really fight back or say no - his mental thoughts were along the lines of not going to let this guys hands 'affect' me. *does bad job at keeping things vague*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rabrek



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 188
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
This is why ANN has become largely irrelevant to me. What's the point of having someone who hasn't a clue about a genre review one of its titles? Why not bring in anime-hating moms to review the other titles here for other moms who hate anime? Or better yet, to show their bias against said anime fans? Because that's how this review reads to me, dismissive and divisive about a segment of the anime fandom that the reviewer doesn't agree with or understand.

Did we read the same review? Hope analyzed the characters, their relationships, and the plotlines as characters and as relationships and as stories. This is why ANN remains relevant to me - they support the outrageously radical notion of allowing a genre project the dignity of being critiqued on the quality and novelty of its characters and stories, rather than gushing with fanchild glee because we're in a familiar sandbox.

I found Hope's review measured, informed, and entertaining. Did it make me want to check out Junjou Romantica? No. But I read all the reviews on ANN because reviewers frequently do get me interested in a title that I wouldn't have looked at twice otherwise. ANN reviews are aimed at the general ANN reader, not the sub-genre fen (who can find all the in-group validation they like elsewhere at genre-specific forums). Perhaps in this case, the JR fans should have stopped reading after "As yaoi titles go, this is a prime specimen." The balance of the review really was written to inform the non-yaoi audience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PrettyKitty20034



Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 119
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
I think the problem that people are having with the review is that the review spends just as much time critiquing the potential audience than on the show itself. It's a little condecending. It's especially annoying when the review admits that she "doesn't usually watch these things" (direct quote) on her twitter.

Now, I haven't seen the show, and I've only read one volume of the manga. It was entertaining but I know it's no masterpiece. The err "rape scene" people (and the reviewer) are hung up about in episode one? I'm pretty sure we're talking about the handjob scene, yes? I'm not sure I'd classify that as a rape, because despite a token protest, he makes no effort to get away and pretty much passively sits there (and gets off). It's more like a "forced seduction" scene like in those old bodice rippers from the 80's. Most people at least familiar with romance tropes wouldn't find that offensive.

Now, based on the review, I still have no idea whether or not the show is worth picking up, because the reviewer spent half the word count regurgitating stereotypes about Boy's Love and it's fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group