• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - Up and Atom!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've never been a huge Tezuka fan either, though like you, I absolutely adore Buddha, and I thought MW was great, as well as some of the arcs in Phoenix and Astro Boy. I think what bugs me the most is the blurbs. Every last Tezuka piece has some blurb about how Tezuka is awesome and everything he wrote was wonderful and his poo smelled like roses. So if I then read it and don't like it, I get really disappointed and sometimes really angry.

But I do love reading about the history of manga (go pick up A Drifitng Life, another Eisner winner!) so I shall probably have to check this out.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Great article! I'm going to have to get the book.

I've always liked Tezuka, but just so you don't feel dirty... I've never been a huge Miyazaki fan. I think his films are okay, but I usually smile politely and keep my mouth shut when people talk about how much they love his work. I respect what he's done, but would much rather watch something directed by Abe Yoshitoshi, Satoshi Kon, or Junichi Sato.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
Recently, I re-read through issue 1 of Weekly Astro Boy Magazine (this was, quite honestly my first experience with Tezuka's works). I'll continue purchasing the issues as I enjoyed it. But honestly, I would rather companies focused on bringing over The Rose of Versailles, Glass Mask, and some of Moto Hagio's longer works rather than releasing more of Tezuka's works.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So I'll let you know one of my secrets: I've never been a big fan of Osamu Tezuka.

That's alright. Schodt admitted in the AB book that the series was initially the least favorite of his when he started getting into manga. I think I like his more adult stuff, but what they say about his art style seems to apply more to Ishinomori for me.

Quote:
The complete set of his hardcover Buddha manga occupies a special place of honor on my manga shelf,

The only reason I was interested in those was 'cus they're smaller than the paperbacks. But I'm fine with what I got.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
I enjoy most of his work (I found him through Black Jack, though, so I had a pretty good feel for his range after that). If it helps - I can't stand Metropolis. Anyway, I just signed in to say that I doubt whether 'The God of Manga' would have been McCarthy's personal choice of tagline, given the concerns she was happy to address in the book. Rather, I think it's one of those things they're tagging on for people who have an interest, but not much memory for Japanese names - like how they've been trying to brand Naoki Urasawa as 'Japan's Master of Suspense.'

- Pips
Peroxid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
Great article!

I'm also not a huge Tezuka fan (as a mangaka), but this is mainly because I'm unfamiliar to most of his works, since the only manga I read by him was MW. And Although I found it great, I can't say I'm a fan of a mangaka, when I just read one work by him.

Still as a Director, I can say that I'm a fan. He revolutionized not only anime technics, he also created what is today the experimental animation. Also he was the first who saw animation as a medium for not only Children, but also for adults, creating the first adult target animation, the Animerama Trilogy, which ironically, bring his studio, Mushi Productions, to bankruptcy.

Still, when I see Tezuka called the "God of Manga", I believe that it's because a whole generation was amazed by his early works, and most of the famous mangaka's from the manga boom era, were inspired by Tezuka to become manga artists, although they style could differ Tezuka's. A great example of this is Yoshihiro Tatsumi, one of the co-creators of the gekiga movement (the more serious looking manga, opposing the Tezuka's comic looks). He was an a early age amazed by Tezuka's work, as they were so groundbreaking for the time, more concretely the postwar age, decades 40 and 50. This was the reason to the wanting to be a mangaka. Drifting Life is a must read.

I see Tezuka as the spark for the whole manga boom, he wasn't the only one during the evolution of manga, but he was the one who started it, and as the creator, he's worthy of his alias, "The God of Manga".
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
…but just so you don't feel dirty... I've never been a huge Miyazaki fan. I think his films are okay, but I usually smile politely and keep my mouth shut when people talk about how much they love his work.

It may interest or comfort you to know that I hold very similar sentiments to these, for reasons comparable to the those you cite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
Peroxid wrote:
A great example of this is Yoshihiro Tatsumi, one of the co-creators of the gekiga movement (the more serious looking manga, opposing the Tezuka's comic looks). He was an a early age amazed by Tezuka's work, as they were so groundbreaking for the time, more concretely the postwar age, decades 40 and 50. This was the reason to the wanting to be a mangaka. Drifting Life is a must read.

Yeah, but reading Drifting Life makes you realize that there were dozens of other authors establishing the medium at the time. And as I read it, and see the artwork, I wonder how much Tezuka's dominance set the medium back by establishing a cartoonish style that took decades to break. (By cartoonish I mean lots of sight-gags and easy humor) Everyone emulated his style, and it was the gekiga movement that offered an alternative in more realistic storytelling and art. I mean, eventually Tezuka wrote gekiga-influenced works and a number of them are quite good (see: MW).

Pippin4242 wrote:
like how they've been trying to brand Naoki Urasawa as 'Japan's Master of Suspense.'

Which might explain why they've never gotten around to licensing Yawara! "Japan's Master of Suspense!...and Romantic-Comedy Sports Dramas...?!"
Treetastic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Great article! I see what you mean about not liking Tezuka as much as you "should". I always felt that way, until I started reading Black Jack, and later Phoenix, which I really enjoyed. There is so much elitism when it comes to discussing his work, you almost forget that he was primarily an entertainer, and a good one.

Quote:
One of the things that McCarthy laments at the beginning is that Tezuka seems to be more well-known by academics than by general readers.

That could be said of most renowned/classic authors. Charles Dickens and William Shakespeare were both in the business of entertaining the masses, and put out large volumes of work (in Dickens's case, serialized as well). Any time a writer has both breadth and depth, people initially focus on the former and end up focusing on the latter, I guess because if something was really popular, it defines the people who liked it.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I love Tezuka so very much. I love his designs his stories his work and his imagination. Nothing can beat that.

I've even gone to his museum on 3 occasions on my visits to Japan. He is simply the best and we wouldn't have anime/manga today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1