• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Vandread OAVs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah... Gun X Sword...

A part of me wants to describe it as being a good "average" anime(like Kaze no Stigma), another part wants to describe it as an earnest attempt to be different in it's approach. Even if it was uneven and meandered a bit...
What I liked was spoiler[Van and Wendy's bond. It's that kind of "I'll pat your back when your down" kinda thing that just makes me go "Awwww..."], even though Van can be a douche sometimes...
I also liked the spoiler[how they came together to create a team. Made some of those earlier episodes seem more important and uniting. Not to mention it's just good ol' fashioned camarderie], and the soundtrack often enhanced those moments. Glad that Kotaro made further collaborations with him.
I also liked the dub. One of the few times I liked Carrie Savage's performance. One of David Vincent's few roles, and Sheh did a good job too.

One thing that I dislike is the epilogue. spoiler[Especially the last few moments where Van comes into Wendy's place and... thats it?]
Other than that, it's a show I'd like to buy. I might buy with Funi's new Girls Bravo release.

I'd like to continue Vandread, but... is the 2nd season any good? I'm huge fan of Gonzo but... I just wasn't that inspired to watch it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the second season of Vandread is generally better than the first, due to the increased maturity of the characters, and the higher stakes. Hibiki starts to act a bit more like an adult rather than a kid who thinks he's entitled to be treated like an adult. On the other hand, Pyoro gets really obnoxious with his baby obsession after spoiler[Ezra has her kid], and the Earth girl doesn't really contribute anything to anything (not a good indication that I can remember Ezra's name and not hers, despite Ezra having a smaller role).

I'd say it's worth watching.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
If Vandread is anime's "Other great space war between male and female" what's the first one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
If Vandread is anime's "Other great space war between male and female" what's the first one?

Macross, of course! Razz
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
See, now I feel like a bad anime fan for not knowing that. It can't be helped though considering I'm only 20 and have been watching anime for just under 3 years, meaning I'm too young to have gotten it anyways. I suppose this means I should consider getting it so I can get caught up with all you old pros.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
See, now I feel like a bad anime fan for not knowing that. It can't be helped though considering I'm only 20 and have been watching anime for just under 3 years, meaning I'm too young to have gotten it anyways. I suppose this means I should consider getting it so I can get caught up with all you old pros.

Seeing as how I started in '07. I found that watching by watching 1 new, and then 1 old really helped with maintaining the balance of "what's a good anime?" perspective.
I didn't always match up genres, but often that helps.

If I were to pick my favorite obscure oldie(70-80), it'd be... Aura Battler Dunbine, and, from what I've seen, Galaxy Express 999.

It's not too hard to watch older anime, just find a new series you love, and devolve it to something old. It's that simple.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I certainly enjoy older anime as well, and I do watch a lot of it; I actually recently went on a spree where I watched Kekko Kamen, Maze, Demon Fighter Kocho, Dragon Half, Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, and Kite. So it's certainly not Macross's age that's kept me from watching it, it's the mecha/politics vibe it gives off. It's the same reasons why I'm not interested in most of the Gundam franchise or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it just sounds way too serious for my tastes. "Classic" or not, it just doesn't seem like something I'd like. Of course, in the past I have watched things just for the sake of seeing them, whether I was interested in them or not (GiTS: SAC for example), so I suppose I could just go into it like that.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Hey, no reason to feel bad, we all have stuff we haven't seen yet. As long as you're self-aware and are trying to fill the cracks in your knowledge, you qualify as a good anime fan in my book. (And as long as you're buying stuff you like rather than pirating everything just 'cause you can.) Wink
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I suppose you don't remember me, but I was the guy (Aaron) from the ANNcast call-out that talked about how collectors seem to be a dieing breed. So no, I don't watch fansubs and buy all my anime. At least I do now, I didn't when I first got into anime, but that's all behind me now.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:49 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

Macross, of course! Razz

To be more specific, only The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? movie, which hasn't had a release in the U.S. in a long time. So no suprise King of Harts hasn't seen it.
Tachibana Hirou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm a biggest fan of Gonzo ever Gravion, Full Metal Panic and Code Geass. Just finished watched Vandread in first stage and second stage. The OAV never saw yet but I'm interested to watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1