• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Screenwriter: Live-Action Star Blazers Still in Negotiations

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
There's already been a live-action Space Battleship Yamato film made and released in Japan (and a damn good one, at that), so a live-action Star Blazers would be a bit redundant, no?
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
There's already been a live-action Space Battleship Yamato film made and released in Japan (and a damn good one, at that), so a live-action Star Blazers would be a bit redundant, no?

Problem is that most people (general audience) who isn't tuned Japanese media likely missed the movie.

I have entirely LITTLE FAITH in an American production of Space Battleship Yamato. If their going existing movie, thats one thing...but entirely new one..thats another.

Specially i remember Disney's abandoned efforts replacing the Yamato with USS Arizona. I would say thats insulting to say the least.
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
CCharmanderK wrote:

Problem is that most people (general audience) who isn't tuned Japanese media likely missed the movie.

I have entirely LITTLE FAITH in an American production of Space Battleship Yamato. If their going existing movie, thats one thing...but entirely new one..thats another.

Specially i remember Disney's abandoned efforts replacing the Yamato with USS Arizona. I would say thats insulting to say the least.

Except there are a few things you need to keep in mind:
1) The writer clearly indicates his movie is to be based specifically on the Star Blazers dub, not the original Japanese version of Space Battleship Yamato.
2) The narrative Star Blazers dub is only centred on crew and not ship. It's the original Japanese version that portrays the two as an entity, therefore explaining why the narrator says the "Hurry up, Yamato" line while the dub's own narrator normally says "Hurry Up, Star Force" in reference to crew without referring to ship.
3) The same dub we're talking about portrays the protagonal spaceship's crew as multinational as opposed to being 100% Japanese as the original Japanese SBY and its Japanese live-action remake portray it, and the same dub uses western names for the crew members (ex: the ship's tactical chief is called "Derek Wildstar") while describing the same protagonal spaceship as being named "Argo". So it should be simple for a multiethnic cast to play the protagonal ships crew in this planned U.S. flick, whether the movie itself re-uses the same western names from the same dub or creates its own set of fictional characters while having the protagonal ship using the "Argo" name or another western anme.
4) This movie can be good for Star Blazers fans looking for a version they can watch and enjoy with family and friends who hate or don't watch anime due to their foreigness.

Last edited by stararnold on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
CCharmanderK wrote:

And who isn't an old fogey!
~60% of the audience is over 40, with ~80% over 30.
It's like a geriatric convention! Laughing

Maybe the Hollywood one, young people would also watch.
Maybe get a boy band to act.
And the theme song “Love Lives” by Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler.
(Hmmm...... that sounds familiar................)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Too bad no matter what they do with scripting, casting, and filming, it will only be called a Star Wars ripoff to some degree. Doesn't help that more live-action Star Wars is again on the horizon, so perhaps other space operas should just lay low for a while.
Tochiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Wrangler wrote:
CCharmanderK wrote:

And who isn't an old fogey!
~60% of the audience is over 40, with ~80% over 30.
It's like a geriatric convention! Laughing

Maybe the Hollywood one, young people would also watch.
Maybe get a boy band to act.
And the theme song “Love Lives” by Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler.
(Hmmm...... that sounds familiar................)

As a company employee in his early-mid 30s who saw Yamato at the cinema 3 times, I have no objections to these statistics at all :-p
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
I hope they explain the doctor getting drunk on spring water by making it radioactive.
IlGattoBianco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
A) The Japanese live-action Yamato movie was a total PoS. They butchered the mythology of the original.

B) If the rights deal falls into place, the Star Blazers movie would be written by one of the best writers in the world, who is also a lifelong Star Blazers fan. Can't ask for more than that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for all the spring water drinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1