• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre: Funimation's Sales Rise, Still Plans Split

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
Discontinued operation huh? Wonder if they've decided who their selling Funi to...
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
If they already knew who they were selling Funi to, they would have done it. No doubt they are still in negotiations with interested parties.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
I'll be glad when the sale finally happens. This uncertainty over the fate of my fave anime distrib bugs me.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Meh, kinda grown weary of FUNi. Some nice Blu-rays, but thats about it. All of my money has been going right to Japan lately.
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I am strongly curious as to who those "6 interested parties" In buying FUNimation are. I.e. if its anyone we've heard of, like Sony.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
If you listen to the quarterly call on Navarre's website, most of the questions that the analysys ask them are about Funi. The very first one is if they have recieved any bids, Navarre responds that they have, and are analyzing if it is a good business decision, and if selling Funi at all is still a good business decision. So, I wonder if they will make the deal. They also say in response to a different question that they will know for sure internally by the end of CY10. I suppose that means first quarter announcement at the earliest?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'll be glad when the sale finally happens. This uncertainty over the fate of my fave anime distrib bugs me.

I'm with you on that. I can do without one less source of anxiety.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
If they already knew who they were selling Funi to, they would have done it. No doubt they are still in negotiations with interested parties.
Not precisely ~ they may have to do due diligence even if they have picked a preferred bid, and after negotiating the outline of the agreement the buyer may have to more due diligence ~ but the corp-speak:
Quote:
... anticipate making a strategic decision regarding that business in the coming months
suggests they aren't that far and that is supported by DerekTheRed's description of the earnings report conference call.

Equity markets don't like uncertainty ~ if they announce a buyer on terms that are not terrible, they'd have reason to expect a small bump in their valuation.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I'm with you on that. I can do without one less source of anxiety.

Same here.
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Discontinued operation huh? Wonder if they've decided who their selling Funi to...

Please pay attention: they've been at "discontinued operations" status for *months*.

Nor does that mean FUNimation has been "discontinued", business proceeds as normal.

The article made it a point to highlight this, as they have in the past, because the terms can confuse people not used to the business jargon:

it simply means that Navarre no longer tabulates FUNimation as part of it. This is common practice, happens all the time, and has absolutely no effect on FUNimation's current business operations.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
it simply means that Navarre no longer tabulates FUNimation as part of it. This is common practice, happens all the time, and has absolutely no effect on FUNimation's current business operations.

I understand that the term "discontinued operation" in and of itself has no effect on Funi's current business operations, but it would be naive to assume that the fact Funi is being plumped up for a sale isn't having an impact. My (perhaps unfounded) concern is that until the sale goes through (assuming it does), Funi may not be licensing as much as it would be under normal circumstances. I also worry that a sale might mean of change in key personnel. Since I'm quite happy with the way Funi has been operating, this prospect does not have me jumping for joy.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Talking about the fiscal year 2011 like that is just plain confusing. Why can't they just stick to the calendar year like normal people or find a less confusing way to state it? I guess that if you deal with it all the time, you get used to it, but sheesh. I'd have voted to just stick to the calendar year and keep is simple.
calimike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I predict They shut down Funi for good!
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
suggests they aren't that far and that is supported by DerekTheRed's description of the earnings report conference call.

I agree, I don't think they are making much progress towards this. NAVR sold off quite a bit after the call. In their defense, they are trying to accomplish this in the worst possible financial environment imaginable. I'm not sure the small year over year FQ2 increase merits any consideration either. FQ2 last year was pretty abysmal across the board, so any YOY comparison will be a bit tainted.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Talking about the fiscal year 2011 like that is just plain confusing. Why can't they just stick to the calendar year like normal people or find a less confusing way to state it? I guess that if you deal with it all the time, you get used to it, but sheesh. I'd have voted to just stick to the calendar year and keep is simple.

It's really not hard to understand. If a company's very first reporting period is the 3rd quarter (say they started operations in July), that period usually becomes the 1st reporting quarter (ie Q1) for the first fiscal (reporting) 12 month period, so your 'fiscal' year would run July to June. It's relevant mostly for budgeting and/or tax purposes. Public companies also have reporting requirements, based on state and federal rules, that require them to make reports and pay taxes at certain times during a 12 month period, but those rules don't require that 12 month period to synch up with the regular Jan-Dec calendar period. About 35% of all public companies have 'fiscal' year calendars that don't synch up with the regular calendar for this reason.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner store
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2