Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, October 24-30


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Scormio



Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Posts: 603
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
Yen Press ftw! Though I'm sad Omamori Himari didn't make the list. And surprised as well, considering my local Borders sold out of its 6-7 copies within a week...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neocloud9



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 1178
Location: Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
How cool, Black Butler #3 is at #3 and Soul Eater #4 is at #4. Smile

I bought both of those~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Asrialys



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 1127
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
As expected of Negima and xxxHOLiC. Getting those in the mail soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9932
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Wow, Yen Press certainly did dominate the list this week. Usually they only have 1 or 2 titles in the top 10.

The legs on Negima and xxxHOLiC impress me. I collected the first 10 volumes of each series and then stopped as they didn't interest me anymore, but clearly a lot of people have continue reading them.

Good for Del Rey. Pity it wasn't enough to keep them an active licensee.

-t

edit: I should have said licensee


Last edited by Tempest on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
vashna



Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 1313
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
When you say active licensor, you mean one who continues to develop new titles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SonicRenegade84



Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 630
Location: Atlantis!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
When you say active licensor, you mean one who continues to develop new titles?


I would think so. Del Rey is done releasing new titles, and (insert with actual company name) took over their upcoming titles. I know that Del Rey is going to finish titles like Negima and XXXHolic though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 1127
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
vashna wrote:
When you say active licensor, you mean one who continues to develop new titles?


I would think so. Del Rey is done releasing new titles, and (insert with actual company name) took over their upcoming titles. I know that Del Rey is going to finish titles like Negima and XXXHolic though.

No, from what I understand Kodansha is taking over publishing for all of Del Rey manga, especially those that originated from Kodansha (that includes Negima and xxxHOLiC), by the end of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaymie



Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 915
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Yen Press is a powerhouse. I honestly think that they're the #2 publisher at the moment. I can't wait to see the end of the year sales figures (especially with Twilight's sales involved).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9932
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Yen Press is a powerhouse. I honestly think that they're the #2 publisher at the moment. I can't wait to see the end of the year sales figures (especially with Twilight's sales involved).


Yen Press is doing very well. They're making a lot of smart decisions and almost no stupid decisions (that we know of).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Asurahime



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Negima made it to the top of the list! Is it really that good? I mean, i really love 'love hina', but i haven't bought negima yet because im no so sure about it based on what i've heard... Could someone tell me if Negima's worth buying? Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SonicRenegade84



Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 630
Location: Atlantis!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Asurahime wrote:
Wow, Negima made it to the top of the list! Is it really that good? I mean, i really love 'love hina', but i haven't bought negima yet because im no so sure about it based on what i've heard... Could someone tell me if Negima's worth buying? Confused


All I know is, do NOT watch the anime.

(To answer your question, yes it's good. I won't say it's better than Love Hina, but that's my opinion.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 1127
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Asurahime wrote:
Wow, Negima made it to the top of the list! Is it really that good? I mean, i really love 'love hina', but i haven't bought negima yet because im no so sure about it based on what i've heard... Could someone tell me if Negima's worth buying? Confused

Many dismissals may be due to the basic premise of a 10-year-old Welshman coming to teach a class of 31 15-16-year-old, Akamatsu-endowed female students. However, it slowly turns into more than that once the magic comes out and threads from the past, present, and future start intertwining.

And if you were to ever watch the anime, I suggest all the OVAs (plus the spring and summer specials for fun).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Charred Knight



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 3085
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Negima is amazing, unlike most shonen characters, Negi is really smart and not some idiot. The story is pretty unique, and while it does take some ideas from other manga it does it with its own style.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toboggan



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 10
Location: New England
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ha, Negima still kicking butt. Nice.

If you want to get started, you'd probably be best off with the manga. I started off with the anime and liked it, and liked the manga even more.

Haven't seen a release date for #29 anywhere, anyone know?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Granamonkey



Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Yen Press's website said Black Butler Vol. 3 was to be out October 27th or so, right? Because the bookstore I frequent had it out on the 18th Shocked so I'm guessing I just got it early.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group