• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dengeki's Most Anticipated January Anime Survey

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:46 am Reply with quote
I think those are somewhat good results but GOSICK should be on the top Sad Oh well Its definitely on the top of my list.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
Shows the Japanese have better taste! Laughing
HatsumiShinogu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote
Kimi ni Todoke is on the top of my list too! Very Happy
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
...whereas here at ANN it's this:
1. Kimi ni Todoke 2 (same as in Japan, no surprise, second seasons of good shows are always hotly anticipated)
2. Beelzebub
3. Hourou Musuko
4. GOSICK
5. Infinite Stratos

So yeah, in our top 5, we share 3 series. Expand it out to 10, and you get 6 out of 10. Perhaps the biggest difference come in Because For Some Reason My Brother Doesn't Like Me~~!! gets #7 in Dengeki and #14 (of 17) in ANN (I take it creepy incest is not as popular here outside of Japan?), and Fractale is #12 in Dengeki and #6 in ANN (does noitaminA carry bigger clout on this site?).
CG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
No surprise that Kimi ni Todoke is at the top, but to see a Togashi at the bottom is unexpected! Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter were definitely hits, so I wonder how a work by the guy after whom "Togashism" was named would earn so little anticipation.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
CG wrote:
No surprise that Kimi ni Todoke is at the top, but to see a Togashi at the bottom is unexpected! Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter were definitely hits, so I wonder how a work by the guy after whom "Togashism" was named would earn so little anticipation.

Probably because the manga ran from 1995-1997, which makes it practically Medieval. If it had a hit anime made of it then, or if it had gone on longer, it might still be anticipated, but it's just obscure.

And the animated promos for it are underwhelming in terms of animation quality. And its cast isn't 90% cute underage girls.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
And the animated promos for it are underwhelming in terms of animation quality. And its cast isn't 90% cute underage girls.

To be fair, Dragon Crisis! is the second lowest and it's got plenty of cute girls in it; it makes me wonder why Zombie is so high on the list while Dragon Crisis is near the bottom. The shows aren't that different from each other; I suppose it must have to do with the popularity of the source material.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I take it creepy incest is not as popular here outside of Japan?

I take it science fiction fans enjoy every science fiction work out there?
It's not like we eat every crap thrown our way. And yeah, as an incest fan myself, I can pretty accurately tell this show doesn't present any potential whatsoever. The characters are too young for my tastes... you'd have better luck calling out for lolicons, who are most likely the ones responsible for getting this title to #7.

LeanGreen wrote:
To be fair, Dragon Crisis! is the second lowest and it's got plenty of cute girls in it; it makes me wonder why Zombie is so high on the list while Dragon Crisis is near the bottom. The shows aren't that different from each other; I suppose it must have to do with the popularity of the source material.

I don't know... did you watch the trailer? They look like completely different shows to me. Yeah, both are animated... but.

Last edited by egoist on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
LeanGreen wrote:

I don't know... did you watch the trailer? They look like completely different shows to me. Yeah, both are animated... but.

I meant that the shows look like they're targeted to the same audience, what with the loads of girls surrounding one guy and there being magic all over the place. It just seems to me that if you're interested in one of them, you'd at least try the other.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
I take it creepy incest is not as popular here outside of Japan?

I take it science fiction fans enjoy every science fiction work out there?
It's not like we eat every crap thrown our way. And yeah, as an incest fan myself, I can pretty accurately tell this show doesn't present any potential whatsoever. The characters are too young for my tastes... you'd have better luck calling out for lolicons, who are most likely the ones responsible for getting this title to #7.

You misunderstand me: the young age is a large part of what makes it creepy incest. As opposed to something like Angel Sanctuary (good manga series, that).
opn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
im surprised beelzebub is so high up the list considering the manga isnt too populer but im glad since its number 2 on anns survey so its high up on both lists which makes me happy.
Akukame

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Shows the Japanese have better taste! Laughing

I think Japan's taste is more "safe". They're anticipating the shows that the japanese companies already know are going to be atleast mildly successful.

vashfanatic wrote:
So yeah, in our top 5, we share 3 series. Expand it out to 10, and you get 6 out of 10. Perhaps the biggest difference come in Because For Some Reason My Brother Doesn't Like Me~~!! gets #7 in Dengeki and #14 (of 17) in ANN (I take it creepy incest is not as popular here outside of Japan?), and Fractale is #12 in Dengeki and #6 in ANN (does noitaminA carry bigger clout on this site?).

Don't forget about Hourou Musuko, #11 on Dengeki, #3 on ANN. I think in general though, atleast if you are the kind of person that reads any of the reviews or columns at ANN, then you are less likely to be a fan of the moe stuff, and more likely to be a fan of the more mature stuff. Anyways, with the exception of 2 or 3 obviously popular shows, and 2 or 3 obviously unpopular shows, the lists are basically flipped upside down.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/Akukame/ANNpop.png

opn wrote:
im surprised beelzebub is so high up the list considering the manga isnt too populer but im glad since its number 2 on anns survey so its high up on both lists which makes me happy.

I think this statement is completely wrong though. We're talking about a Weekly Shounen Jump manga. This is somewhat of a stretch of an analogy, but thats like saying "Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets is unpopular". Even if its not that popular among Harry Potter fans, its still a Harry Potter book, which means its popular. I don't have any actual statistics on Beelzbub, but, in order for it to continue to be running in Weekly Shounen Jump, it probably needs to be more popular than what would be considered the most popular manga in another publication.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
Don't forget about Hourou Musuko, #11 on Dengeki, #3 on ANN. I think in general though, atleast if you are the kind of person that reads any of the reviews or columns at ANN, then you are less likely to be a fan of the moe stuff, and more likely to be a fan of the more mature stuff. Anyways, with the exception of 2 or 3 obviously popular shows, and 2 or 3 obviously unpopular shows, the lists are basically flipped upside down.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/Akukame/ANNpop.png

Thank you for that ridiculously insightful graphic!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, looking at that chart I'm really surprised on how huge of a split there is on Hourou Musuko. Most of the other stuff I'm not that surprised by, but I wouldn't have assumed that show would be unpopular in Japan just from what I've heard about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
One has to remember that the selected audience for noitaminA is that of OLs, and other age 20-30 women. Granted, this has since spread about quite a bit, but I don't think that the average user who visits "Dengeki" (check out the Special Contents bar to bask in the moe) is going to be all that interested in serious gender identity issues or any shoujo that doesn't involve bubbles and lots of staring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2