• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shiki's 8th, 9th BD/DVDs to Include Unaired Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
so its getting a blu ray release good hopefully when funi releases the seires here they release the blu ray too.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
D:

I hope Funimation will end up with those episodes in the end somehow, I've been watching this anime on their website and I wanna see it all...

;~; Maybe on a DVD release? (Are they gonna sell it? I've been trying to figure out the whole "Hey we've got anime on our website, come watch it!" thing and how it's actually a money-maker aside from ads).
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think I know what these episodes will contain. They completely skipped a certain woman's plotline, despite her being shown in the show. And the next episode will probably focus on Kaori and Akira, who were also shafted in the Anime in favor of the battle.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I would hope Funi will eventually be selling this, because it's certainly not making any money in Japan. Worst selling show of the summer season. First volume only sold a bit about 1400 combined DVD/BD. That's pretty awful.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Funi release these episodes too. It really surprises me that Shiki is a flop in Japan. It's one of the best horror series out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if the extra episodes were about Akira and Kaori either. Or maybe about what's happened to Megumi. (Although I'm guessing she'll play a major role in the end.)

This is an incredibly well crafted show and I'm hoping next week's final episode will tie up all the major plot threads and that I won't be left going WTF because I haven't seen the two bonus episodes.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I would love to see a physical release of this show because I think it is terrific. I'm not too surprised that first disc didn't sell well in Japan, because it isn't perverted enough, and the show is a slow starter. Maybe the sales will pick up for later discs, since the plot gets really complicated and interesting.

Maybe the show will be a cheap license if it doesn't sell well in Japan. There seems to be more buzz about it here. I've seen some pretty involved conversations popping up about it on message boards. I don't think that Funi will pick it up, though. I think they only have the streaming rights for NoitaminA shows. Maybe some other licensing company will get it in a few years and release it sub-only.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I know the manga's still running, but the novel the series' based on has been completed for awhile, hasn't it?

Nonetheless, anyone know if they're going with an original ending, or if they're using the novel's?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know the manga's still running, but the novel the series' based on has been completed for awhile, hasn't it?

Nonetheless, anyone know if they're going with an original ending, or if they're using the novel's?

Yes. As far as I can tell from Wikipedia, the novel series did finish some time ago and the manga (which isn't finished yet) is just a retread.

I have no idea how the novel ended or how close the anime has even followed the novel so far, but I'm hoping that since the story in the novel did end, that the anime's conclusion will be solid and not a wishy-washy "let's hope for a sequel" or "we can't end it because the original story isn't done" ending.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:

Yes. As far as I can tell from Wikipedia, the novel series did finish some time ago and the manga (which isn't finished yet) is just a retread.

I have no idea how the novel ended or how close the anime has even followed the novel so far, but I'm hoping that since the story in the novel did end, that the anime's conclusion will be solid and not a wishy-washy "let's hope for a sequel" or "we can't end it because the original story isn't done" ending.

The manga isn't exactly a retread from what I've heard, they've made a lot of major changes to the original story like spoiler[having Seishin be the main character instead of Natsuno who also stayed dead in the novels.] And it sounds like the manga is very close to ending but really, at this rate I can't see how their could be an open ending here.
bobusurp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the novel has been licensed in the U.S.? I'm really interested in reading the novels and the manga. Does anyone know who sells it if has been licensed? I checked a bunch of sites and turned up squat!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Neither the novel or manga of Shiki has been licensed.

FUNimation only has the streaming license, so it's not licensed for DVD release yet either.

The novel will almost never get published, because the majority of anime fans don't seem to buy novels. Which is a shame, because there are a lot of good discontinued novel series that I would like to read. Although, Fuyumi Ono is known here, due to Tokyopop selling the Twelve Kingdoms series, so I suppose you never know.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
"and Funimation is streaming the anime in North America."

*cough* You mean "and Funimation is streaming the anime in USA"...

I'm in North America and I can't watch it ever since they dropped their own streams of Shiki while I was still watching the show and switched entirely to hulu and never bothered to add any episode from the show to youtube.
pasteloverdose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, awesome. Always nice to see more Shiki. I can't get enough of that show. Hope the anime/manga/novel gets a physical release here someday - seems like something that could sell in an American market, at least.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it would have been better to see this on TV, in all honesty, but assuming that Shiki manages to come up with a good enough ending this concern will hopefully turn out to have been unnecessary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1