• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 More Executives at Borders Store Chain Resign

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
It is not good when this many execs resign in such a short time. The writing may be on the wall, I fear. If their liquidity is so poor that they have to ask suppliers for more time to pay the outlook is grim. Very sad.
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
This news is making me feel ill now. -_-
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
...I blame manga cows.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Sigh it looks like soon there will be no more anime/manga in the US soon
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
would you say it's time for us to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Still really saddened by this news. Sad I guess I should try to get some shopping done at Borders soon, just in case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
Well, ICV2 stated last year:

The young teen shojo fans who fueled the manga boom in bookstores have aged and in spite of attempts to interest them in reading more “adult” josei manga, as they grow older these predominantly female readers appear to be abandoning manga for other things. Meanwhile, Twilight has absorbed much of the attention of the teen audience that was buying shojo.

What are those "other things," I wonder.... Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
Good-bye, Borders, it was nice knowing you.

IMO, this is the death knell for Borders. When that many execs jump ship at once, well, you can be sure they know more about the financial situation of the company than outsiders do.

I was never a big Borders fan, but the loss of a bookstore chain is never a good thing.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling that Borders would eventually close, although I can't say I ever expected 3 executives to leave so soon.

By no means can I predict the future of Borders, but I think by the end of 2011, Borders will either have filed chapter seven or eleven. However, this is one of the few times where even if one event happens rather than another, people will still lose jobs and unfortunately, that means there might be one less store to buy manga.

But at least you can buy manga through the internet now and days, because when Borders does close, it's going to be slightly challenging to buy manga, as where I reside, there are no businesses to purchase manga close by. Sure, at one point there was three shops in my area that did sell manga (Sun Coast, Walden Books and a anime themed shop) but all of them have went out of business.

As much as I do enjoy online shopping, the price of the product might be cheaper, but shipping and tax (when applicable) usually make the product more expensive.

It's a shame though, Borders was a nice store to shop at, or at least was several years ago. But alas times have changed, both good and not so good. The Borders website has more stock than some of the brick and mortar shops, but I am not sure that will be enough to save them.

Makes me wonder though, will bookstores be part of past history that will eventually fade away like milk man and VHS? What with devices such as the Kindle and purchasing books online, it's not such a far out idea. Some people thought the internet would never happen and here it is today (or rather in the early 90's, I think 93'.)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier,

IIRC, 2 other execs resigned just a couple of days ago, so 5 in less than a week. That's Not Good. I'm guessing bankruptcy will come sooner rather than later.

As for the fate of bookstores, or maybe of physical books in general: I hope they never go away. I am NOT a fan of e-books. I don't like something where what is written can be edited or changed at a moments notice and even without the owner necessarily being aware of it. Amazon has, a couple of times in the past, removed e-books from the Kindles of people who had already purchased the e-book.

And maybe you heard about how a publishing company has bowderized the N-word from Tom Sawyer: now imagine that some law or fit of PC causes all electronic copies to be "revised" to follow suit? What is written on paper cannot be changed like that.

But yes, I think that B&N might stay around for a while, and maybe some local bookstores in select communities, but the days of numerous big bookstore chains is probably over for good.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Now where will I get Maximum Ride GNs and the rest of Code Geass: Knights at?? Since most websites only accept credit cards and not paypal, debit cards, or money orders...... Sad
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for my local store to go out of biz. Discounted manga for the win.

Finny-chan wrote:
Now where will I get Maximum Ride GNs and the rest of Code Geass: Knights at?? Since most websites only accept credit cards and not paypal, debit cards, or money orders...... Sad

Get a bank account bro. It will help.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
I blame manga cows.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I blame manga cows.

Same here. I've been thinking about starting a local manga cafe but Borders cows would kill it. Shit, why pay five bucks to go read when you can SIT in the ISLE and read for FREE. People bitch day and night about paying $30 for anime on DVD but they can't afford $10 every three months for a book? Cheap asses!
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
I really hope they don't go under since it would be a shame for so many people to lose their jobs. Here's to hoping they get organized and solve the problem to save the company. Another vote blaming it on manga cows but not just for manga, cows in general who just make a mess and never buy anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3