• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animax in Latin America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonmonter

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
What a shame!

Most of the time spanish dub are awful, and besides that also most of them (spanish adaptations) doesn't include any subtitles for sings and for chapter titles. Since it will be a "plus" or restricted channel It will be fair to allow the users to have the option to get the original languaje with subtitles. In latin america animation is considered something "for kids only" and because of that they don't care to offer unaltered & subtitled versions of anime.

I'm not interested in that channel. Perhaps, it will be wiser to spend that money on R1 dvds Anime smile
gbuteler

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Many spanish dubs are bad, yet many others are very good. We got no powerful companies here to make DVDs of the series so we can choose dub or sub. Besides, not all of us are capable of setting the means for getting DVDs from the US, not to mention most of them don't include subs or dubs in spanish, so what would be the point of that suggestion? Ah, right, you're not latin american.
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:38 am Reply with quote
awful? i thought they will be good....

but lucky me...
I'm in the Philippines... ANIMAX Asia just did good, then bad (Aug '04 - May '05), and now they are doing GREAT!.

especially here in the Philippines. which they show SUBTITLED Anime more than the usual... (2hrs every weekday & 1hr every weekend)...

unlike the ones in other parts of SEAsia... (1hr every weekday & non every weekend)

because their dubbing was really BAD!
maybe... worst to those latin dubbers Wink

SUGGESTION:
Why not request to ANIMAX LatAm that they should show Ssome SUBTITLED ANIMES or instead of IN-HOUSE Dubbers will dub the animes, why not just get from the DVDs, etc....
Gaara_Monster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of the time spanish dub are awful, and besides that also most of them (spanish adaptations) doesn't include any subtitles for sings and for chapter titles.

It depends on the country in where it was dubbed, for example Mexican dubs are good,venezuelan dubs too, the dubs from Peru,Colombia and other places including Los Angeles are the awful ones. About the subtitles, at least they usually keep the endings and openings in their original language.

Mad

Does anyone knows if that channel will be part of cable television?
antonmonter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
gbuteler: I can comment about spanish dubs, because in fact I'm from a Spanish speaking country: Mexico (I don't know what "latinamerican" is and I don't consider myself a "latinamerican"). There are good dubs, and awful ones, but either one you watch you will always loose something; tehre is no translation that can complete substitute the intention of the original languaje. If you had seen anime in is original language maybe you will noticed things like the honorifics (sensei, sempai, san, sama, etc), that can't be translated and the only option to catch it is listening to the original dub, while reading the subtitles.

If you like to watch anime and you don't care about giving it any didactical value, its ok. But there are some fans that are practicing and learning a new language because of this hobbie. And that's why some fans think that its important that anime to be showed in is original language.

About cable; I think It will be avaible but in a restricted signal; like HBO or Locomotion
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for it, let's hope they got good programming blocks, dubbed and subbed and hoping cable companies here pick it up Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
I'm all for it, let's hope they got good programming blocks, dubbed and subbed and hoping cable companies here pick it up Smile

but (said on the news) it looks like that it will be shown ALL DUBBED.
gbuteler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry that I ignored the fact you are Mexican, and that the term "latin american" isn't of your liking. Yet, I'm also from Spanish-speaking country: I'm a paraguayan (From Praraguay, that small country between Brazil and Argentina). For some breif months I was able to see Locomotion in spanish. You are right, as hard as they can try (or not), dubs are in no means close to resemble perfectly (the nicely spoken yet terrbly translated Cowboy BeBop spanish dub can be a likely proof, for that i'm happy it isn't included in my cowboy bebop DVDs).

I would prefer that shows get in their mojority subbed to prevent this, like Sony gets subbed sitcoms instead of showing the dubs. That is an advantage: since Sony has Animax, they could understand if fans ask them to have most (or all) of them subbed instead of dubbed.

Until then, I'm more focused in having at all the channel in my cable company, other wise it will be of small importance, since my only alternative source is Brazilian DirecTV.
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
does ANIMAX LatAm have a website? or it will just show up on July? Confused

i hope it will show up now...
so that i could do more research on it... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

if anyone know this...
can you all please tell me... Very Happy
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
evileye_theblocker wrote:
Vicserr wrote:

but (said on the news) it looks like that it will be shown ALL DUBBED.

yeah, anime network started all dub and they have now a segment for subs, and Locomotion shows dubs and subs... so it's not that far fetched that they do that in the future.... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
well... ANIMAX Philippines (ASIA) have a very similar history to The ANIME Network...

• JAN 19, 2004 - initial broadcast... all anime in Japanese & English Subs (except Fun Fun Time)
• AUG 02, 2004 - all programs are shown in Dubbed (except SuperManiax), everybody are furious, especially the Filipinos. & the Singaporeans.
• MAY 02, 2005 - they have shown anime in Japanese & English Subs (like SAIYUKI Reload, SAMURAI 7, SAIYUKI Reload Gunlock, Witch Hunter Robin), but only shown in the Philippines.

@Gaara_Monster:
lucky for us...
ANIMAX Philippines & AXN Asia are also showing subtitles on the OPs & EDs.
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:40 am Reply with quote
Belmot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
By the way:

It's seems that that Sony has also plans to start ANIMAX in Germany.

AXN is already in Germany since autumn....
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:26 am Reply with quote
that could only mean ONE THING...
TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION!

but one problem...
how about those people on the North American Region...
they have ANIME NETWORK...
if ANIMAX started to be shown in NorAm... I SMELL COMPETITION!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1