• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vandread DVD Ultimate Collection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah you know, the one thing that I didn't like about Vandread was the "proof of my existence" crap. I'm not sure if it was made more or less annoying by the fact that it didn't have any real meaning to me.

About the music... I don't suppose Funimation bought the rights to Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" for the English track in... (god it's been ages) episode 6, did they? I was bummed out the first time I listened to it and found that the song had been excluded--but yeah I know, fat chance. Razz

Think I'll be giving Vandread another watch soon though, for old times' sake. Maybe check out Stratos 4 even...
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
It's been years seen I've actually seen any episodes, but I remember Vandread being one of the better series on TV back when it was being aired on.....Encore....or something? I'd jump on a Bluray version of this in an instant - anyone not having seen this yet should really give it a look.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
About the music... I don't suppose Funimation bought the rights to Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" for the English track in... (god it's been ages) episode 6, did they? I was bummed out the first time I listened to it and found that the song had been excluded--but yeah I know, fat chance. Razz

The dub was by Geneon though, so you would have to blame them for any songs being replaced.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
outlaw55 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

The dub was by Geneon though, so you would have to blame them for any songs being replaced.

Songs being replaced and the dub production are two entirely different things. Even if Geneon hadn't excluded the song, Funimation would still have to license it. They could have also licensed the song if Geneon had excluded it.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
outlaw55 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Songs being replaced and the dub production are two entirely different things. Even if Geneon hadn't excluded the song, Funimation would still have to license it. They could have also licensed the song if Geneon had excluded it.

Which would require not just the cost to license the audio, but the cost to redo the audio track for that episode. I'm sure Funimation would have licensed it if it were in the original dub track.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
outlaw55 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
outlaw55 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Which would require not just the cost to license the audio, but the cost to redo the audio track for that episode. I'm sure Funimation would have licensed it if it were in the original dub track.

Not necessarily. It would probably make a lot less financial sense to license a song for a re-release than it is for a new license. Funimation is already going to be missing a large portion of what would have been potential sales due to the age of the property. Adding additional cost to it is probably not in their best interest.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I have the old Geneon set for this series and frankly I see no reason to purchase it again unless they release it on Bluray.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
outlaw55 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
outlaw55 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Not necessarily. It would probably make a lot less financial sense to license a song for a re-release than it is for a new license. Funimation is already going to be missing a large portion of what would have been potential sales due to the age of the property. Adding additional cost to it is probably not in their best interest.

That was my point as to why they didn't license it. If it were in the original however, they probably would have, because they would have to completely redo the dub track to remove it.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Not really, clever audio mixing could easily filter out the song and replace it with something else.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard the word "superior" used to refer to Stratos 4 before. You see something new every day, I guess. And I certainly don't agree with it.

And I doubt teenagers would like the CG stuff in this. At all. Most wouldn't give it a chance after the first episode or two, if that's what they like. It does get tons better in the second half, but the first half is atrocious. You'd have to be an older viewer to appreciate that aspect of this show.

I sound negative, but I actually like Vandread, despite everything. It's fun.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
Not really, clever audio mixing could easily filter out the song and replace it with something else.

Yes. They wouldn't need to completely redo the dub. Even some cheaper software packages allow for this. I'm sure professional level editing software would be up to the job.
Relmstein1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I definitely liked Vandread when it first came out and I don't remember it being that predictable. Of course the industry has become very repetitive in the last decade and anyone looking at it for the first time in 2010 isn't going to be impressed. Does seem like the review was a little harsh on the series.

Still the Stratos 4 user ratings were much lower then Vandread's, very weird to see it being called superior.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
It's been years seen I've actually seen any episodes, but I remember Vandread being one of the better series on TV back when it was being aired on.....Encore....or something? I'd jump on a Bluray version of this in an instant - anyone not having seen this yet should really give it a look.

It used to show on encore WAM. and it was really really enjoyable too. However sure it was economic , but it would have been nice if Funi did a redubbing of the series with their cast,especially the OVA. That alone would have merrit a repurchasing of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

It used to show on encore WAM. and it was really really enjoyable too. However sure it was economic , but it would have been nice if Funi did a redubbing of the series with their cast,especially the OVA. That alone would have merrit a repurchasing of the series.

Why? The original cast is solid. I don't know why you think there needs to be an improvement. You would be the one person to re-buy it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

Why? The original cast is solid. I don't know why you think there needs to be an improvement. You would be the one person to re-buy it.

The cast is full of good actors that did a good job. In fact, I'd probably avoid a repurchase entirely if it was recast. Funimation has good actors but it's hard to even consider redubbing when it already has people like Crispin Freeman, Wendee Lee, and Steve Blum. All that just for a couple of recap OVAs that people would consider skipping isn't a good idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2