• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Shocking Betrayals Out of Left Field

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
What, no Carmine from Dragon Century as choice of favorite anime dragon? D:
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
No great fan of dragons. I guess I could vote for Haku but I think of him as more of a river-god than a straight-forward dragon.
But something was sticking in my head... I just watched or rewatched something with a "dragon" in it that I thought I liked... what was it... what was it... oh yeah...
Hatori Sohma from Fruits Basket Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Ah, betrayal, I haven't watched those shows in years so I may not remember them much, except the recent Kyubei. For consolation prize, I'd like to nominate spoiler[Akasha and the Kougon Sect] from spoiler[Shikabane Hime Kuro], now that was a twisted shock at the end.

I voted for Haku, probably the only outstanding dragon I remember. Wink
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Kyubey didn't surprise me honestly...he looked evil to begin with.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing not to see Kokopelli from Bokurano on here. As his betrayal was far more surprising to me and the magnitude of his actions are greater than pretty much everyone on this list.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
list is very iffy, but good try
Bleach was a memorable one
and now I rememeber SHURATO
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Disappointing not to see Kokopelli from Bokurano on here. As his betrayal was far more surprising to me and the magnitude of his actions are greater than pretty much everyone on this list.

Thinking about that series, I might put Coemushi ahead of Kokopelli but it's been so long since I've watched it it's hard to remember exactly how their dynamic worked spoiler[along with the plot twist of one of the girls being his sister]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, Gendo and Kyubey always seemed pretty blatant to me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I just remember seeing episode 1 of Bokurano at the university anime club and being completely repelled by it, thinking it would be a campy/childish super robot show. So I openly scorned it, walked out, and thought nothing of it until I learned randomly that the guy who did Narutaru also did Bokurano. And then the manga became one of my favorites.

That particular betrayal involving Dung Beetle was entirely anime-only, but I can see why you would put that ahead of what Kokopelli did. For me though, I just think of how I walked out on what looked like a childish super robot show and, because of Kokopelli's direct actions, it was anything but.

The again, there were a lot more betrayals in Bokurano. Such as spoiler[Chizu and her teacher] but I went for the one that had the most impact.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I never saw it as Anthy betraying Utena to be honest, throughout the entire show it was hard to tell what she was thinking for most of it and I always wondered how much she trusted Utena/was on her side in the first place.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
The first time Kyubey appears, he's lurking in the shadow of some weeds. Although I went in spoiled, that grabbed my attention.

Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing
had a memorable moment when spoiler[Lillia shows up with Luscinia, announcing they have become allies and denounces her sister Lillia as an enemy].
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I never found Kyubey's betrayal to be out of left field or even shocking. The series methodically reveals the stakes of making a contract bit by bit, and each new morsel of information only serves to make the viewer question Kyubey's intentions more and more. When it's ultimately revealed what his purpose is, it's less "OMG I didn't see that coming!" and more "and there it is".

I'm surprised that Code Geass didn't get a mention for Lelouch's spoiler[Zero Requiem]. It was incredibly shocking after spoiler[he took the throne as Emperor and made himself public enemy to all his former allies]... well, until the final episode when it's revealed why he did it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I just added this in last week's column of tearjerkers before I read this, but it fits here just as well: from Naruto, spoiler[ in which Yashamaru, the only person who genuinely seemed to care for Gaara, suddenly tries to kill him, and then tells him that he in fact hates Gaara and that no one ever loved him, not even his mother.]
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I never saw it as Anthy betraying Utena to be honest, throughout the entire show it was hard to tell what she was thinking for most of it and I always wondered how much she trusted Utena/was on her side in the first place.

This is what I have to say. And 4 pares of other opinions. Long story short-spoiler[Anthy wanted to maintain status quo, because breaking it would force her to grow up and abandon the play for sake of real life. ] She didn't predict that Utena would eventually see through whole plan.
Chaottic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Man by the time I saw the picture of spoiler[Kyubey] it was too late. You guys think thats gonna ruin the show for me now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9