• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball to Be 1st Japanese Film in Imax Digital Theaters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
Cool. Here's hoping the Japanese market will be able to make a live-action movie with IMAX cameras one day.

I find it kind of odd, though, that for such high standards of living and all the technology they have, you'd think there would've been something like that already. Are live-action movies just not that big over there (as in popularity, and thus bigger budget)?
fullspeedahead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
so will this be playing in all IMAX theatres including ones in canada? or is it just going to be playing in Japan
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
There has been nothing announced regarding an international release. The press release states that Battle of Gods will be playing at all 16 IMAX Digital Theater locations across Japan, though.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Are live-action movies just not that big over there (as in popularity, and thus bigger budget)?

I would say that live action films are quite popular in Japan, but the popular ones seem to be foreign releases from the US. I have read that the Japanese and other Asians are very sensitive to motion sickness so they aren't real fans of 3D or intense imagery that you get with IMAX.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
fullspeedahead wrote:
so will this be playing in all IMAX theatres including ones in canada? or is it just going to be playing in Japan

There's no question that this film will be released in the US (and Canada), and knowing FUNi, this film could see a theatrical release here as well (as done with Return of Cooler, Fusion Reborn, Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan, and Path to Power being released to a few screens), however IMAX isn't as likely.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
fullspeedahead wrote:
I'm thinking the IMAX version is going to be Japan only.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
fullspeedahead wrote:

There's no question that this film will be released in the US (and Canada), and knowing FUNi
, this film could see a theatrical release here as well (as done with Return of Cooler, Fusion Reborn, Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan, and Path to Power being released to a few screens), however IMAX isn't as likely.

You mean the same Funimation that has yet to release:

Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku & Friends Return (2008)
Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate The Super Saiyans (2010)
Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock (2012)

Hmmm.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
Yo! Son Goku & Friends Return is a short OVA with not much action. It can even get tedious at times. Although, this is an opinion, but I don't think Funimation would waste their time on a 'revival' OVA when there really wasn't anything useful to the original plot. This OVA was mostly for the fans who waited patiently and wanted more, regardless of plot. You can find this anywhere on the internet.

Plan to Eradicate The Super Saiyans was licensed as an extra to the game, Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2.

Episode of Bardock, again was released also as an extra to the game, Dragon Ball Z For Kinect.

While you have a slight point with the latter two DB animes, FUNi has stated that they don't have the license for those two productions; they only were hired to do the dubs (if they were dubbed, because I don't know if they were).

As for Yo! Son Goku & His Friends Return, though, your reasoning has absolutely no logic in it. Even if it is low on the action, it's DB so it would still sell fairly well. Now, for a logical answer, the reason why we never got this production is likely because it wasn't made as a traditional OVA. Yo! Son Goku & His Friends Return was made for Jump Festa one year, the same Jump Festa that showcases anime pilots for numerous Jump manga. Shueisha tends to be a big production partner for these Jump Festa productions, so it's very likely that Shueisha is essentially holding up the licensing process. That's also a valid reason why never got the pilots for titles like One Piece, Toriko, & even Bleach, because they all were made for various Jump Festas & Jump Super Anime Tours.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
I think its bit of a stretch that Goku would run into a extremely power enemy while beating Freezer. If he able over come this threat, a litteral god verse some hopped up supernatural mortal foe, then it shows he got really weak between the fights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1