• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Our dashing young reviewer wrote:
So is the magical girl genre dead? No, it's just in hibernation, and holdouts like Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode must keep on bearing the flag in this new era.

Funny, because it seemed like half of the article was a review and the other half was a wake for the genre. I agree that it's not dead, but with the current Girl-Powery-archetypal stuff out there now on an International level, it may need life support.

Alas, I wouldn't be caught dead with this manga in hand. ^^; It's just how I work.
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't see too many manga reviews on this site but when one comes along you guys choose to do Tokyo Mew Mew Confused ? Ok, I understand if you want to review something alot of people would be familiar with or even review a mediocre manga every now and then but I'm sure there are alot more discussion worthy mangas that would be alot more interesting to read a review of if it got a mediocre rating. I mean Tokyo mew mew.... if I had never seen it in my life I would bet money it would stink, starting off with the horrible name itself.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
I don't see too many manga reviews on this site but when one comes along you guys choose to do Tokyo Mew Mew Confused ? Ok, I understand if you want to review something alot of people would be familiar with or even review a mediocre manga every now and then but I'm sure there are alot more discussion worthy mangas that would be alot more interesting to read a review of if it got a mediocre rating. I mean Tokyo mew mew.... if I had never seen it in my life I would bet money it would stink, starting off with the horrible name itself.

Remember that this is a fairly high-profile title at the moment. If they're going to review something, its probobly going to be something that's familiar to readers. Also keep in mind that publishers often send review copies to sites in hopes of good press. I don't know if it was the case here, but if I was sent a book I'd feel obligated write a review, medoicre or not.
Personally, I'd like to see reviews of exellent but underappriciated titles, like Blue or Sexy Voice and Robo. Even Nodame Cantable, which gets my pick for best shojo manga being published in english, seems to be overlooked in favor of more popular, bishonen-filled titles and could use some good hype.
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Ok, guess I forgot that they get sent these things but still, it's Tokyo Mew Mew so no love from me </3.
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:22 am Reply with quote
The magical girl genre is not dead, it's just apparently changed its target audience. Manga might be a different case, but as for anime, most magical girl shows I've seen lately were tailored for a moe/fanservice-loving male audience (Lyrical Whatever Nanoha, Okusama wa mahou shoujo, Rabuge and all the others - even Pretty Cure was targeted primarily to a male audience, according to a report I've seen).
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I think Oku-sama deserves to be in the parody genre from the looks of things, but what do I know?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
The magical girl genre is not dead, it's just apparently changed its target audience. Manga might be a different case, but as for anime, most magical girl shows I've seen lately were tailored for a moe/fanservice-loving male audience (Lyrical Whatever Nanoha, Okusama wa mahou shoujo, Rabuge and all the others - even Pretty Cure was targeted primarily to a male audience, according to a report I've seen).

All the more reason for me to not buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1