• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Japanese Dragonball DVD Releases

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Neat, though it's too bad FUNi probably won't port the remastered movies over here. I'd love to hear those in something other than Japanese mono.

And all 291 episodes in just 49 volumes? That's almost 6 episodes per DVD. Too bad FUNi averages only 3 across 70+ volumes...
Serge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Seen the R1 Dragon Ball DVD's? The Japanese Audio just sucks, try ripping it to your PC and playing it on it...It's like Shocked

Dragon Ball Z DVD's, The Video sucks as well.

Shame this won't happen in the US (If it will, it will be ages) as Toei...(Japan's first, screw the rest)
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Too bad America won't be getting those refurbished DVDs. Funi thinks we shouldn't give a rats ass about the Japanese track. I'd be interested in that movie box set, if most of the DBZ movies (and all of the DB movies) didn't suck. 9, 12, and 13 are the only ones worth owning for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
[quote="cubs2084"Funi thinks we shouldn't give a rats ass about the Japanese track.[/quote]

To be somewhat fair, I think it's more of a case of Toei not wanting us to care about the Japanese track. Consider when FUNimation purchased Dragonball Z, consider the size of fandom back then and the accessability of Anime (DVDs were unheard of, and then when they were being released, they were still somewhat experimental), and that Dragonball Z has always been a child-oriented merchandising show, the audio would have come form second-fourth+ generation masters, which would mean they were there simply for translation purposes and not much else.

Also, it doesn't suprise me that FUNimation hasn't gotten the new remastered sets- As opposed to say, Evangelion, whose remastered version clocks in at around 13 hours (including directors cuts, movies, etc) by average, that'd be somewhat cheaper to purchase compared to nearly 200 hours (nearly 15 times more) footage funimation would have to fork out for. While it would have been nice, I somehow don't think Toei would give it up.

Anyway, since Dragonball isn't that hard to understand, I'd suggest buying these individual releases, because the quality of the Dragonbox and whatever else is pretty darn excellent. It's something special for the Dragonball fan who thinks he's missing something.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
To be somewhat fair, I think it's more of a case of Toei not wanting us to care about the Japanese track.

I wonder how much "reverse" imports are eating into Toei's Japanese profits. Perhaps we'll be seeing Funimation get the same cold shoulder as ADV? Sad
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
tiredgamer wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
To be somewhat fair, I think it's more of a case of Toei not wanting us to care about the Japanese track.

I wonder how much "reverse" imports are eating into Toei's Japanese profits.

Probably not a whole lot, since the Japanese DVD releases are generally more worthwhile to them, and they'd be more patient because they'd know in the end they'd be getting a superior product.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:41 am Reply with quote
So with the 4 movies, would that include the completely scary and horrible Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins B-Grade Movie? Would love to own a legit copy of that one just for sheer campyness.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:12 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
So with the 4 movies, would that include the completely scary and horrible Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins B-Grade Movie? Would love to own a legit copy of that one just for sheer campyness.

You can buy a copy of that in the US, shouldn't be too hard to find.

Those four films are the Dragonball films Curse of the Blood Rubies (inly available in the US, edited and with a different cast on kidmark's shit-tacular Saga of Goku set), Sleeping Princess in Devil's Caslte (no US DVD release), Mystical Adventure (uses a different dub cast for some reason) and 10th Anniversary Path to Power (last DB film made I think).
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:04 am Reply with quote
Here's a list of all DragonBall-related movies.

Note that the two DBZ TV specials were included in the regular DBZ "Dragon Box" sets (Bardock on set 1, Trunks on set 2), the DBGT TV special was included in the DBGT "Dragon Box" set, and Saiya-jin Zetsumetsu Keikaku was included as an extra on the 2nd DBZ "Dragon Box" set.

(With Pony Canyon putting out the individual discs from the DBZ sets, though, it will be possible to get *just* the individual DBZ TV special discs, if so desired, down the road.)

The live-action movie isn't technically an "official" Japanese product, and as such, won't appear on anything from Toei / Pony Canyon.
Nionel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:20 am Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
and Saiya-jin Zetsumetsu Keikaku was included as an extra on the 2nd DBZ "Dragon Box" set.

Think there's any chance of Funi ever releasing that OAV here in the states, 'cause I'd actually be interested in seeing it at least once
Demaar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably buy the Dragonball DVDs just to see the whole series uncut and in Japanese if the remastered versions were to be released for the Western market.
I've seen a few episodes here and there and didn't mind them. I know it's far from being a compelling series that makes you think, but it's a great time waster.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1