• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone familiar with ZoomMovie.com

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anijunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
When browsing for other anime shops I came across this web retailer: ZoomMovies.com.

It sells Asian movies (Korean, Chinese) and anime. I checked out a few titles, but I have my doubts.

Some rather cheap prices with English, Chinese and Malayan subtitles.
No region is provided. No details of the where abouts of this site. But stating on the bottom of the page: "ZoomMovie.com supplying only licensed dvd."

So, does any one of you have experience with them?
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know the site, but the description you gave of the products reeks of bootlegs. Generally, region free + Chinese subtitles = bootleg.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I was browsing the site just to check it out. The Bleach box set is a huge RED FLAG! No one sells box sets like that in just Japanese with so many different subs as well. I also decided to do a little research on this "VBG Original DVD" that is posted on the front and back of the box art.

What I came up with was a very sketchy site that has that logo posted on everything that is sold there in the of each box sets that dont legally exist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
That site is indeed a bootleg store. Took one look at the Kore Wa Zombie Desu ka? Boxset they had and it screamed counterfiet product. Please do not buy from that site!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I glanced at their FAQ, since a friend of mine has bought similar DVDs, and it appears that this may be a legitimate site, selling legal Malaysian DVDs. Reading the Is it Legal... section seems to indicate that there may be some stickiness on the legality of importing the DVDs if the title is licensed in your country, though...

I'm curious, now, on Malaysian copyright law, and how they recognize international copyrights. The site does claim that they're licensed in Malaysia.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
No, Malaysian copies are not legitimate in the least. They are bootleg/counterfeit.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
If they had to mention in their FAQ that what they are selling is "legal" then that makes it even more suspicous, no? Do you see Rightstuf posting "Yes! We sell legal goods!" in their FAQ? Nope.

That site is an illegal bootleg site. I had incidents in the past where sellers used the "Yes, this is approved by Malaysian government and has a sticker to prove it!" song and dance when asked if their products were legal, and they were still bootlegged junk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No, Malaysian copies are not legitimate in the least. They are bootleg/counterfeit.

More counterfeit/bootleg movies, TV shows, and any kind of media you can think of comes from there. They are considered one of the biggest if not the largest in the world.

Here is a fun little read on something that happened a few years ago. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17926130/ns/world_news-asia_pacific/t/dogs-uncover-pirated-dvds-malaysia/#.T-kfqhee6_Q

Last edited by jsc315 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
moonie92

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Uh they have Sailor Stars which doesn't exist in the US for under 25 dollars. They also have Cardcaptor Sakura for under 200 dollars. There prices are way to low to be legitimate. It's a bootleg site for sure.
zarul

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
I had buy some dvd from zoommovie.com bcoz they are just cheap and exactly as you all said, 2 of my 4 dvd is bootleg copy with a valid sub. Watchout if the dvd is distributed by neuron entertainment because they are the bootleg company as I can see and dont worry about others company like PMP, ember power ect, bcoz they just provide real original dvd, by the way for your information MYR 19.90 was a common price of dvd in Malaysia because its seem like malaysian dont really like to buy dvd and its not worth to sell with a high price. We more tend to go to the cinema, download or just watcing online. Thats all I know and not too bad to purchase from zoommovie.com if you want to spend your 2 hour life with a movie. Very Happy
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
zarul wrote:
not too bad to purchase from zoommovie.com if you want to spend your 2 hour life with a movie. Very Happy

It is too bad if you want to buy legitimate, good quality products and not support bootlegging and piracy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1