• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your favorite anime that is not animated well?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
Why I'm asking this is because I'm watching Knight Hunters. It's based off a light novel series and the story, writing, and even directing is pretty good. The music, voice acting, and animation are awful. They don't even have the lips synced for the japanese dub. For many people this would turn them off of a show, missing a good story, but I'm still gonna watch it. Just wondering if anyone else had an experience like this.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
As someone who is beginning to learn a lot of drawing theory, I found Higurashi: When They Cry to be ugly. A lot of the characters were pretty flat, and some of it looked really...cheap. Don't get me wrong, I can't draw any better, but you learn to see the flaws in others' work and man, it was pretty...ugly, at times. However, they did really crank it up when the characters got really crazy looking and evil and was genuinely terrifying. However, the voice actors couldn't seem to match the magnitude of the terror that the drawings were inspiring. Despite all this though, it's a well done show and I really, really want to see the second season.
thenix

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
yeah I mean i draw art, but I feel you can critique art even if you don't draw well. I haven't seen the higurashi anime because I'm reading the manga. It's a great manga.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
I used to have three degrees for graphic- wow, meh, ew. Most anime fit the middle category. Since I started to write revives I've learned a bit about theory and can notice the differences, but they don't bother me much. When I start complain about the graphic it's usually the last nail to the coffin of disappointment.

I must admit that all three series in last attempt to ressurect World's Masterpiece Theatre have serious issues with graphic. They are worse to watch than those animated before 1997 (compare Anne of Green Gables from 70s and Before Green Gables from 2007). The characters are drawn nicely, the backgrounds are detailed, but all charm is destroyed when anything try to move. Animation in Orphans of Simitra is so "sharp" that it hurts. Before Green Gables adds terrifying off model effects in every pause. And they are lots of them. To the degree that Shoujo Cosette reminds me this old-timely books for kindergarten kids when you got also a recorded story with signal when to turn the page.

All three series are decent child stories, but it clearly seems that someone attempted to make better thing than they could afford to.

Now some people are going to kill me, but Galaxy Express 999 series. Apart from worms standing straight and talking potatoes that was impossible to make 113 episodes with animation more detailed than early Scooby Doo.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is well know for its visual limitations, but also for its appropriate placement of decent animation. When characters are talking it tends to be static, while the budget is shown during the space battles. What makes the little animation a little issue is how strong the show's writing, pacing, and delivery are. Usually I consider animation quality to be vital to an anime's effectiveness, but this is one of the few that transcends that notion.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Two series that I adore but freely acknowledge are not animated well are Fruits Basket and The Story of Saiunkoku. FB is particularly bad on this, as unlike Saiunkoku, it doesn't have the pretty pretty designs and backgrounds to carry its visuals. Both have great characters and vastly better writing, though, which is why I still regularly rewatch part or all of each.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Great Teacher Onizuka -- I feel the animation is pretty awful. A lot of the frames are fairly still with a lot of the show relying on dialogue and music to tell its stories. But pretty much when anything starts to move, I can't help but get a very disjointed feeling over its presentation. Although, I think it's because the artwork uses a mix of traditional hand-drawn cels with occasional dabs of digital stuff, which tend to look blatantly inconsistent. And who knows what kind of budget Studio Pierrot had back then?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to go with Kemonozume here. It looks absolutely hideous, but I got over that and it turned out to be one of my favorites because the story was so entertaining and it had a decent cast. The same can be said for Shiki, I think, too.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
As mentioned in another thread, I LIKE Folktales From Japan. It's supposed to be like cute or artsy preschool picture-books come to life. Very Happy
Gotta give it up soon, though, getting near the point where the stories start going into reruns.

Last edited by EricJ on Fri May 10, 2013 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pretty big fan of Strain: Strategic Armored Infantry, despite its many flaws. The animation is certainly one of its weaker points. There's a lot of bad CG, and the traditional animation isn't very good either. I can't think of a single scene where the animation jumped out at me.

The story is great, though, due to its very genuine depiction of human emotions and tragedy. The main scifi concept is pretty interesting, too.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
For me it would be Kaze no Stigma and Project Arms. Kaze no Stigma would be a pretty great B-movie action title if it wasn't so badly animated. Project Arms is a great dark shounen action story but the animation and music is so bad and the characters off-model so often that I nicknamed it crazy faces the anime. If you combine the results of the dub team trying to spice up the dialogue you get a truly awful result. A terrible result for an anime that closely follows an award winning manga.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, original Macross. Yes, most of it is animated decently enough for the time, but there are two scenes that are practically slideshows. The first is, I think, episode 11 where they're trapped on the ship. Max is the only one still in a Valkyrie/Veritech, and he infiltrates the ship from the outside, and it looks like a damn slideshow. I wish I was kidding, but wow, it's like they did half the key frames and left it at that.
The other is episode 24, aka the "Max vs Miriya" fight. Everyone is ugly and off model and the fight scene itself is animated nothing short of horrifying. For the most part, things work well enough for the rest of the series (though lots of characters get "derp eyes" all the time), but those two scenes, despite being serious scenes, are just burst out loud laughing because you weren't expecting animation that bad.

Some gag anime though, like Sexy Commando or Cromartie High School are animated by, of all people, Madhouse and IG (respectively). Now, with SC, they'll occasionally do one scene here and there really well, but most of the time, they're making it look like dirt on purpose. Ditto for Cro High, we all know what Madhouse is capable of, but here, the poor animation actually adds to the humor, so they can get away with it if you ask me. Trapeze, I think, also has stylistic suck. Half of it is rotoscoped to move like a celebrity on South Park, so generally only Irabu gets actual animation. Backgrounds are pretty cool though. I feel like it's a new thing to make things purposely look sloppy and "bad", I think Kemonozume did that too, and sometimes Tatami Galaxy had fun with that too. But I almost feel like with those, it's a dadaist thing or something.

For the most part though, I'm impressed enough that other people can draw stills of things and so many drawings to make it look like it's moving that I generally can't tell if one series is better animated than another, only if a major failing happens within a series compared to everything else I've seen up to that point (as with Macross).
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Trigun looks absolutely hideous--bland backgrounds, ugly character designs, laughably cheap animation--but I love it anyway. I'm picky about visuals but sometimes the story is good enough for me to get over it, and this is a case where I just fell in love with the characters.

Also, tons of shoujo anime. I'm a fan of the shoujo style, though, so the pretty designs are usually enough to keep me happy.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Shoujo style... dissonance between highly detailed models and limited animation always look uncanny.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
@rheiders:

Yeah, Trigun is a fantastic show but it ain't too good visually.

Berserk is definitely a great show which suffered because of the absolutely atrocious animation quality. JesuOtaku talked about in her review of the series. And Neon Genesis Evangelion was infamous for its lack of animation towards the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4