• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Gets Free Version for PS3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that the free version is a PlayStation Plus exclusive only?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like most "free" games. Free version is so basic that its barely worth its price of free.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
That's kinda cool to hear. I might get this verson, thanks Tecmo!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
So is this basically an enhanced demo that you can upgrade to a full game by purchasing dlc content?
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
So I take it Dead or Alive 5 hasn't sold very well, hence why they're going the Tank! Tank! Tank! route?
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
They are basically selling you a chess game with nothing but pawns and you have to buy each individual piece.

As a "demo", it's not a bad, but I can't imagine many people buying characters for $4 each, and that crappy story mode is hardly worth $15.

You may as well buy the complete game, which will cost you less in the long run than buying the rest of the game individually.
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
This is basically a deluxe demo, which I think is awesome. (Deluxe due to the fact you can play it online against people with full copies.) Perfect for people like me who are interested in trying it, but unsure if I'm interested enough to buy it.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a great idea. Those who only need/want afew specific characters can save money by only buying those characters.

There will still be a full retail release for those of us that want everything. Thats what I'll be getting.

Heres a translation of all the features for both versions from a Famitsu article
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/03034229.html

Basic FREE version:
The basic version of the game will be free on Playstation store.
Kasumi, Ayane, Ryu, Hayate are selectable.
The rest of the cast need to be bought.
All online mode are included in the FREE Version.
Story mode is locked
Cannot play offline story mode
Story mode progress and already-purchased costumes can be carried over from DOA5

Each extra character cost 400 Yen
Story mode cost 1500 Yen
Full version and Free version can be played with each other online

Full version:
The full version can read DOA5 save data.
All mode can be played
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
I think this is a great idea. Those who only need/want afew specific characters can save money by only buying those characters.

That kind of mentality is bad though because if you're going to invest time in learning a chess game, you need to have all the pieces. You can't study characters/match-ups if you don't have them all.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:

That kind of mentality is bad though because if you're going to invest time in learning a chess game, you need to have all the pieces. You can't study characters/match-ups if you don't have them all.

I see where you're going with that, but alot of fighting game players (especially those who play professionally) tend to main only a small number of characters and dont really use anyone else.

While not everyone is playable form the get-go, the entire roster is still fightable as opponents, so you can still practice against them.

I admit that there are pros and cons to this, but having options is always a good thing. They're experimenting and giving people another way to play DOA5U. Like I said in my last post, there will still be a full retail version with all the content for those who simply want everything. But this is obviously targeted mainly at 2 groups: new players (since its basically a huge demo), and those that already know they don't want everything, and want to cherry-pick the content they do want while saving afew bucks.
metroid24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
that's neat but they better have it free for the 360 as well not just in japan I love doa but m not rebuying it I already did that with street fighter 4
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a good thing to follow up on an existing game to bring in more players. I wouldn't want the game to only release like this though as I would feel like I was being nickel and dimed.

@Running Wild I don't think chess is a good analogy. You need all the pieces to play the game, with a fighting game you technically need just one character to play and they're giving you four for free. I agree with doubleO7, I don't think most players are going to be playing with every fighter. Sure, you might try them all, but eventually you'll settle on one or just a couple to use.
As far as learning how to play against other fighters, since the freemium players can fight against those who own the full game, then that's how they'll get their experience. I can't imagine most players, especially casual players, learn how to play against other fighters by using those fighters. They either play against someone else or run the arcade/story mode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1