• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Satire-d

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
He's complaining about the op being cut down? Really? when you can go on youtube and find not only the fully animated sequence, but the acctual song itself in its entirty for free? Really, who gives a damn? I'm just glad anime, let alone one piece is still able to air uncut like this.

As far as the 'damning piece' from comic journal, I'm frankly not familiar with them nor flowers of evil, but while I grow more and more irritated at this ever constant battle of 'intelectal surpremecy' that seems to be everywhere in the anime manga fandom, I don't think that it's a bad quote or anything. It's one thing to be an ass about how your tastes are so supior to everyone else around but its another to have an honest opinion and I think having that will make readers appreciate the work in question more.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
He's complaining about the op being cut down? Really? when you can go on youtube and find not only the fully animated sequence, but the acctual song itself in its entirty for free? Really, who gives a damn? I'm just glad anime, let alone one piece is still able to air uncut like this.

Exactly. It's one thing if we're talking about this argument 6-8 years ago when Youtube was still new and there weren't streaming services. But it's 2013 now. All the openings you can see anyway on Youtube and if you want to see them attached to the whole episode, multiple, free streaming services are available. And I don't buy into the notion that the opening and ending themes are what makes watching the show worthwhile. Regardless of how anyone would feel about the opening theme for whatever anime, before you know it, the opening theme is done and your more fixated on what's happening in the episode itself. And once you get to the ending theme, enjoy it as much as you like, but once the ending theme finishes, you're off to watch the next thing.

And this isn't new either. This has been going on for as long as I grew up watching anime on TV. The way Toonami did those 30 second intros back when it was on weekday afternoons? That was their way of cutting time. The only time I can recall anime shows on TV that had their opening and ending themes intact were Cowboy Bebop in the early Adult Swim days, the shows on G4/TechTV's Anime Unleashed and the shows that aired on weekday afternoons on the Encore Wam channel.

And one other thing to note. This was mentioned countless times on the Toonami tumblr page (and this was back in February). The people on Toonami and Adult Swim don't cut the opening/ending themes like that. That's all Funimation, Viz Media, Aniplex and Bandai (maybe also partly the Toonami crew when it comes to IGPX, but that's the only exception). Whoever does that at those companies, they send the episodes with the cut opening/ending themes to Adult Swim and that's how it winds up airing. And this is all for reserving commercial time which the commercials on TV function the same way as commercials do for streaming anime.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Personally I don't really mind that much that the openings are cut. Obviously they have to deal with broadcast time issues and whatnot. What I do have a problem with though is the half-hearted job they do at cutting them since all they do is either roll through a bunch of random clips of the opening or play the first few seconds not giving any regard to whether the music matches the clips(and 90% of the time they don't). I think they could at least out some effort into it and make something that feels slightly like an opening song rather than "welp we need something to take up 30 seconds so let's just do whatever". Funimation's titles are notorious to me in that respect and pretty much the only one that was done at least kind of decently was Casshern Sins's OP.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god Brian, did you really get a "Y did day cut da OP?" question? Holy crap, antiquated inquiry from the ancient days, moving on. I shudder to imagine the age of this inquirer. If he's a kid, understandable, because he's just naive, like most entitled new age anime fans. If he's an adult, well, you know what to say here.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love One Piece and its (absurdly long) opening sequences, I would honestly prefer that Toonami cut out the opening theme COMPLETELY so there would be space for those long, half-minute video mix intros Toonami used to do for each of its shows. Those things were amazing. The little 5 second blips they do nowadays are a pale substitute.

Every OP intro is available on Youtube anyway.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
As much as I love One Piece and its (absurdly long) opening sequences, I would honestly prefer that Toonami cut out the opening theme COMPLETELY so there would be space for those long, half-minute video mix intros Toonami used to do for each of its shows.

I second this notion. Very Happy
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
As much as I love One Piece and its (absurdly long) opening sequences, I would honestly prefer that Toonami cut out the opening theme COMPLETELY so there would be space for those long, half-minute video mix intros Toonami used to do for each of its shows.

I second this notion. Very Happy

I third it, where can I contact toonami again? Laughing
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
The only time I can recall anime shows on TV that had their opening and ending themes intact were Cowboy Bebop in the early Adult Swim days, the shows on G4/TechTV's Anime Unleashed and the shows that aired on weekday afternoons on the Encore Wam channel.

TechTV normally trimmed the endings, but left the openings intact, although used a single OP even when the series had more than one (e.g., Gate Keepers 21).
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
For the first few episodes of InuYasha on AS, back in '02, they aired the full OP theme. I think the Japanese group "V8" did that one. I also remember the Encore Action channel during that time, and before it, airing the full OP and ED sequences for their series (i.e. Blue Seed, Gunsmith Cats, Bubblegum Crisis, Silent Mobius). Also, aren't Japanese networks/production companies legally obliged to air a certain portion of OP/ED songs, due to contracts with the artists and labels? Plus, Family Guy, American Dad, and Venture Brothers all have intros that are less than 1 minute in duration. So, they can afford to air those in totality.

But, yes, the complaint is quite archaic, as of 2013.

YouTube FTW!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that BGC movie never came to be. The most it could have done was raise awareness of the original anime, but I don't think it would have worked out as a film.

As for "butchering" anime by shortening the OP, please. Call me when your favorite show has big photoshopped sunbursts where hits connect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, really, if you want to get upset about edits, go back to the time when CN showed Rurouni Kenshin and thrill at the wonder of such things as Saito's mysteriously smoking toothpick.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought that after the FOX One Piece opening that people would be use to it's opening being altered.

I've grown to expect that when a live-action US version of an anime is rumored or announced that it won't actually be produced. It seems like a scheme to boost the collectables and DVDs of the anime. Since people expect these movies to be big the wrong people wind up getting involved and studio executives who have never seen any anime in their life start messing around with the stories to appeal to what they imagine the "western audience" likes. And so we get something like the Dragonball movie.

Unfortunately, another would-be movie that appears certainly dead is the Dark Crystal sequel. It seems that rather than just trying to make a small movie they overinflated expectations which it overgrew it's ability to deliver.
Brakus

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:

For some people -- myself included -- the Opening Sequence/Title Sequence is very much a part of the show as the "Act 1/Act 2" main part of the show. Closing credits I can give or take, as long as the production company's Vanity Plate at the end doesn't scare me to death (20th TV) or ruin the mood (Sony Pictures TV). It is a shame that in this country, all TV networks are only interested in running more ads at the expense of making the "main" part of the show much shorter, not just in the OP/ED sequences. I'm old enough to remember when most OPs on most shows, regardless of genre, were primarily 90 seconds long and got me fired up for the show that I am about to watch.

I kind of wonder why FUNi doesn't air the Next Episode Preview at the end while running the end credits on the lower-third, a la Nicktoons. We're lucky if we even get *that*. But that is the nature of the beast. God bless Japan, the only remaining land of the long-form television opening sequence. Smile
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd much rather have Adult Swim run anime than Syfy! Gurren Lagann may have kept its full OP when it was run on Ani-Monday, but there were commercial interruptions like every 5 minutes. Made the later episodes harder to follow.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
I think the fact that satire/sarcasm is often misunderstood online is one reason we have smileys. But satire is tricky to use on the internet for the same reason it's always been tricky: whether it works or not depends on the audience, and in any sufficiently large audience (e.g. the Internet), there will always be some people who take it seriously.

Even Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" was taken seriously by some people, who were outraged because they thought he really was endorsing cannibalism as a way to fix society's problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3