• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese girls love Shonen Jump

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_lonewolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see I'm not the only girl who loves her shonen as much as her shoujo. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Girls like the same things as boys. Never heard this story before.
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Wow. Girls like the same things as boys. Never heard this story before.

Well, besides Shonen Jump, I'm sure there are plenty of things equally pleasing to both genders. Smile Funny, I've never picked up SJ once, if I can recall Shocked

Edit: Mispelled
Moonstruck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't surprise me. I haven't read Shonen Jump (I don't like buying things if I'm only going to read one thing in it), but I love a bunch of Shonen anime and manga. I figure a lot of things are appealing to both genders.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
That's what I love about manga. They break the stereotypes of "boy" and "girl" interest. It seems both genders like to be entertained. Who would've figured? Laughing American comics need to take notice before it's too late.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The point of the article is actually that they prefer Shounen Jump over other non-shoujo magazines like Shounen Sunday, not just the fact that they love it... But you know, whatever amuses you. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenka-Ichi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
What I'd like to know is how much they like Shounen magazines as compared to Shoujo magazines.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
well,not surprised something like this would show up. If you remember,I had a thread"Is it werid for a guy to like Shojo?" and ofcourse its not! same goes for girls and shonen!
I' mean my fav. Shojo artist,Watase-Sensei even had in one of her posts in Fushigi Yugi' ,assuring guys that it way awesome,and okay. even with girls and shonen. Watsuki said like half of his readers of RK were girls.I know same goes big with Naruto. I know that women in japan enjoy Death Note quite abit. heh and don't for get FMA.
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It's also no surprise that guys like shoujo.

As long as the shounen lays off the crassness and the shoujo keeps the sappiness in check they will definitely appeal beyond their target audience.

I think it's actually a sign of maturity to be able to appreciate works beyond what's targeted to you. I notice, for example, that among the guy veteran otakus, they tend to like flowing, feminine, relationship and the slice-of-life experiences of the female protagonists, and among the veteran girl otakus, they tend to like the hardcore struggles of the male protagonists. This is by no means a rule, but something I just noticed.
Missa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Man, I hate comparisons. I think it's pretty simple as to why girls LOVE shounen...

Because it's boys! Girls now are likely to read a manga about boys than about a girl in a been-there-done-that situation. The girls have probably already seen and been through enough of that shoujo fluff, it's pretty boring. Still shocks me to see a girl carrying a Hot Gimmick, though, that's old...

When a girl reads shounen, there's not much floozy female characters to damper the story. With a manga full of boys young, old, or whatnot, a girls imagination can run wild. Plus, shounen manga is more entertaining than most shoujo with their plots and characters. I'd read a Eyeshield 21 over Ouran Host Club, definitely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1