• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Criticizes Newtype

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote
Now that was an interesting article. I wouldn't have imagined something like that to come out of 'Newtype USA'. Well, again 'Newtype USA' is owned by 'ADVfilms'. But that is pretty stupid. I wish I had that issue to read. But again the response was highly professional on Manga's part.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Heh, that happenned a long time ago.

Nothing public ever came fo that whole debacle following that letter. I wonder how people today feel about the fact that ADV owns Newtype. Do they think Newtype is being used as an ADV PR vehicle, or do they see it as the equal to any other publication?

-t
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
What are you guys talking about? I don't see anything about this on the main page.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
What are you guys talking about? I don't see anything about this on the main page.

That's true, because the story is from '02..

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=2794
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Heh, that happenned a long time ago.

Nothing public ever came fo that whole debacle following that letter. I wonder how people today feel about the fact that ADV owns Newtype. Do they think Newtype is being used as an ADV PR vehicle, or do they see it as the equal to any other publication?

-t

I suspect it's biased, simply because it would be hard not to be. It's obviously a PR vehicle; being a ADV-branded news magazine, every issue is advertising for ADV. Not that this is some huge ethical failing... it's just like Viz advertising in Animerica. Even in Japan, Newtype is published by Kadokawa, Animage by Tokuma, and Animedia by Gakken, so I'm not shocked by an anime company releasing an anime magazine.

For shows other than Eva, I'd expect them to give fair reviews to competitors' shows, and even then, I really don't think that review was unfair to Manga, as it trivializes the whole series and equally derides the Eva videos ADV sells... (Personally, I think Eva is all too often seen as "but it has so much symbolism! If you're criticizing it, you must not GET it!" I think it was haphazardly executed, and far too much of the "symbolism" that could have been more relevant to the story was just inserted for shock value. Good story, but BAD direction. Anyway, if the reviewer doesn't like the show, they're not going to write a good review! It happens... too bad.)

Either way, Newtype USA is irrelevant to me not for any bias it may have, but because it costs almost twice as much to buy it off a newsstand as it does to import the Japanese one! $17-20 (CDN)/issue at Chapters! I remember about 5 years ago, I'd import the Japanese ones for about $12/each as a special order item (sticker price: 520 JPY), so I'm not even going to consider spending $20 on a $6 magazine. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1