• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic Blu-ray Box Listed With English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Not bad compared to other releases which never bothered with subs or dubs. It's a nice trend to see growing.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Sounds freaking sweet. Depending on cost, I might have to pick it up.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
Sounds freaking sweet. Depending on cost, I might have to pick it up.

The article says the set will sell for about $488...so I probably won't pick it up since I already have most of the show on DVD. (Sounds like a sweet set, though.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Ouch. I spent 40 for the entire boxset (dvd) of the US version. Well worth it, but no way I'd touch it for that price. I'd love a non-upscaled Bluray though.....for like 80. Here me Funimation?...or whoever owns the rights now
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I'd love a non-upscaled Bluray though.....for like 80. Here me Funimation?...or whoever owns the rights now

It's a digital series, so you can't have a non-upscaled BD. Up-scaling doesn't have to mean atrocious like with Blue Sub, but it's not natively HD, and never can be. I guess with Gurren Lagann, they were rendering the entire thing, so we'll have to see how they looks once it's out.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Full Metal Panic! 4 incoming?
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I have all three seasons on BD already. If this is the "Big announcement" that is supposed to be in the next issue of Dragon Magazine I will be very, very sad. I was hoping for another season, or maybe even a plan to finish the story in anime! Sad
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
I'd love a non-upscaled Bluray though.....for like 80. Here me Funimation?...or whoever owns the rights now

It's a digital series, so you can't have a non-upscaled BD. Up-scaling doesn't have to mean atrocious like with Blue Sub, but it's not natively HD, and never can be. I guess with Gurren Lagann, they were rendering the entire thing, so we'll have to see how they looks once it's out.

Not necessarily. It depends on the resolution of the original assets (digital cells) and if they can recomposite or re-render from those original assets. But even if the assets are of lower resolution, scaling them separately and applying different filters prior to recompositing can result in something that is practically HD, if you know what you're doing.
Tratious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
The other Kadokawa releases had forced Japanese subtitles on the English audio track, there are apparently fans of the English dub in Japan.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
The other Kadokawa releases had forced Japanese subtitles on the English audio track, there are apparently fans of the English dub in Japan.

Don't blame them. The dubbing for FMP is exquisite, especially come Fumoffu and TSR. I mean, the first season's dub was great, but it had quite a few growing pains to work out; some of the line deliveries didn't get the punch they needed, and a few minor or one-shot characters were poorly cast. Some of the first season's scripting was also hit or miss, but much more often it hit than missed. Things really smoothed out about partway through Fumoffu (episode 3 by my estimate), and I hold TSR's dub as being even better than the Japanese version.

Plus, the English voices for Sousuke, Gauron and Tessa are perfect.
Tratious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
Tratious wrote:

Don't blame them. The dubbing for FMP is exquisite, especially come Fumoffu and TSR. I mean, the first season's dub was great, but it had quite a few growing pains to work out; some of the line deliveries didn't get the punch they needed, and a few minor or one-shot characters were poorly cast. Some of the first season's scripting was also hit or miss, but much more often it hit than missed. Things really smoothed out about partway through Fumoffu (episode 3 by my estimate), and I hold TSR's dub as being even better than the Japanese version.

Plus, the English voices for Sousuke, Gauron and Tessa are perfect.
It wasn't a blame post. It was for information.
kamanashi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
It wasn't a blame post. It was for information.

I think CCharmanderK was saying that he/she doesn't blame the Japanese for liking the dub, not saying that your post was a blame post.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
I just recently obtained the second and third season on a pretty decent deal. I still have to pick up the first, so I was kind of disappointed to see this announcement (since I just got those other two). But, that price tag is pretty hefty. I'd like the booklet and the box the set will come in, but I don't think I want it that bad. Still, these types of releases give me hope for a Tenchi Universe/Tokyo release
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Full Metal Panic! 4 incoming?

God, I hope so. It feels like it's been forever since TSR came out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ianiceboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
a few minor or one-shot characters were poorly cast.

I was disappointed that they recast Mizuki Inaba between the first season and Fumoffu, but I felt that both voices were good. Which minor or one-shot characters would you say were poorly cast?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2