• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Capcom Announces New Strider Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Yawn!

Wake me up when they release an HD or PS1 port of Strider 2 on PSN. Now THAT was an awesome game that was overlooked and ignored when they were re-releasing their other games (including the first Strider) over the years.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Strider returns! There was that rumor from a few months back, with even an XBLA "cover" image shown, so it's cool to see it come true. Even though Double Helix doesn't exactly have the best track record, as long as they stick to what made Strider work, i.e. the game is based on the arcade original & Strider 2, and don't try to mess with it too much or downright not understand what made it work, i.e. Strider Returns, then I think we'll be just fine.

Now, if only Udon can get the original Moto Kikaku manga to go with this...

EDIT: Here's the announcement trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMwcJI0pEg

Honestly, it looks to have that Strider style down so far.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
blech, Double Helix; I don't get how these guys keep getting work despite all their previous projects being, at best, mediocre. Maybe CAPCOM can whip them into shape with this, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
blech, Double Helix; I don't get how these guys keep getting work despite all their previous projects being, at best, mediocre. Maybe CAPCOM can whip them into shape with this, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's not unusual for Japanese companies to outsource unpopular-in-Japan franchises to Western studios so they don't have to waste their time developing them.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Looks alright. But, personally, I'd rather have a new Shinobi game.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Hater's gonna hate! This new Strider game looks great and I am super excited for it!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Capcom whip into shape? Hahaha. Are you kidding me they are one of the biggest jokes there is right now? Square Enix seems to be turning it around but Capcom is all but a shell of what it once was.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
How is Capcom doing poorly? They are releasing good games and are one of the few Japanese developers putting out really good looking games on HD consoles. Hell, they are putting out great looking and good games on the 3DS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
The game looks great but its download only rite (ie. no hard copy)?

Well, where there's a will there's a way... Wink
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
It's not unusual for Japanese companies to outsource unpopular-in-Japan franchises to Western studios so they don't have to waste their time developing them.

Pretty much. Generally when Japanese companies hand over the developer license to western studios is a clear indication they no longer really care about the property anymore. It's either that or let the license rot into oblivion, so why not make some quick cash by letting other countries do what they want with it.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
Double Helix ? Hahahahahahahahaha... This should be worth about 1.50$.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

Pretty much. Generally when Japanese companies hand over the developer license to western studios is a clear indication they no longer really care about the property anymore. It's either that or let the license rot into oblivion, so why not make some quick cash by letting other countries do what they want with it.
Um what? What the heck are you talking about?

So Capcom didn't care about Resident Evil, Lost Planet, or Devil may Cry? Even though for two of those examples the entire point of making the western version was to boost the franchisee and in LP's case they made a Japanese spin-off. I guess Devil May Cry and Resident Evil are also unpopular games in Japan right?

Square didn't care about Front Mission, Final Fantasy? I guess Square did'nt care about Front Mission after V did pretty well in Japan. I guess they thought "screw Japan when making a current gen game,

Konami dosen't care about Castlevannia and Silent Hill? Even though the entire point of LoS was to make a new and huge Castlevannia and it was Kojima's idea to give it to Mercury Steam, but I guess he dosen't care. And I guess Konami dosen't care about Silent Hill, which is why they keep trying to salvage it.

Yep, they don't care about these series, so they waste money giving it to a western studio and that's not at all a misguided attempt to makes these series more appealing to the west. Nope, they just don't care.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. You may dislike western games, because your some Nipponaphile and dislike when Japanese companies do that, but this is some crazy rationale you're throwing around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kerberous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

So Capcom didn't care about Resident Evil, Lost Planet, or Devil may Cry? Even though for two of those examples the entire point of making the western version was to boost the franchisee and in LP's case they made a Japanese spin-off. I guess Devil May Cry and Resident Evil are also unpopular games in Japan right?

Konami dosen't care about Castlevannia and Silent Hill? Even though the entire point of LoS was to make a new and huge Castlevannia and it was Kojima's idea to give it to Mercury Steam, but I guess he dosen't care. And I guess Konami dosen't care about Silent Hill, which is why they keep trying to salvage it.

All of those games are lifeless. They don't have a single thing that once made them great in them. Well, Lost Planet was never any good in the first place.

What do I know ? I'm sure Capcom had the best intentions when they turned RE6 into Gears (brownshit filter shooter ftw), or when they turned DMC into a bad soap opera.
As for Konami... Silent Hill Book of Memories will no doubt be remembered as the best game in the franchise.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

All of those games are lifeless. They don't have a single thing that once made them great in them. Well, Lost Planet was never any good in the first place.
DMC is'nt lifeless at all.

Besides, I never said they were good. I even said they were part of a misguided attempt to do western games.

What I said is the logic that the Japanese companies were giving franchises away that they didn't care for was dumb, especially since these are some of their bigger franchisees.

Quote:
What do I know ? I'm sure Capcom had the best intentions when they turned RE6 into Gears (brownshit filter shooter ftw),
So are you trying to tell me they don't care about RE? Because that's what I'm arguing about.

And I'm sure they thought they had the best intentions, unless you want to tell me they set out to make a bad game.

And besides, I was'nt talking about RE6 which was Capcom internal. I'm talking about the worse game, ORC.

And spoken like someone who dosen't play Gears. Gears is actually a pretty colorful and artistically well done series. And RE6 does not play like Gears at all. RE6 adds more agility to it's character while Gears is far more weighty and far more about cover.

Quote:
or when they turned DMC into a bad soap opera.
Well I mean DMC was bad anime so who really cares? I really hope you don't care about the story of a DMC game. Was DMC as good as the other games, no. But I really doubt they gave Ninja Theory the game because Capcom dosen't care about the series. The whole point was to make the series bigger.

Quote:
As for Konami... Silent Hill Book of Memories will no doubt be remembered as the best game in the franchise.
I'm not sure why you are talking about the quality of these games were I really never said anything about that. But yes I guess the continued production of SH games means they don't care about the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1