• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Risky Viz-ness

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
...I only listened for a little, but I had to stop at "every title we get has respect and gets respect" ....Yeah, not every title, unfortunately, considering some translations are crap compared to others, not to mention manga censorship. And I will just rest my case here...
sam6782

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
...I only listened for a little, but I had to stop at "every title we get has respect and gets respect" ....Yeah, not every title, unfortunately, considering some translations are crap compared to others, not to mention manga censorship. And I will just rest my case here...

They are talking about their anime titles/division, so your argument of referring to Reborn! doesn't work in this case and should be taken up with their manga division/ Shonen Jump...
SHODAN93

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Sad I want Maison ikkoku and Urusei to be released so bad. Wasn't really a fan of Ranma, but I'm glad that Viz is at least looking back at older titles.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
A nice episode. I was honestly a little surprised to hear Brian outright state that anime had been a secondary market for Viz in the past; not that I didn't believe it myself, but I didn't expect the VP of Viz Anime to admit it. I do hope that Viz can deliver on their promises & improve on their reputation that had been tainted in the past due to their previous treatment of anime as a secondary market.

I did hope to hear my question asked, though. Granted, I had two, and the first one mentioned Monster (so it was obviously lumped together with the other Monster questions), but my second question was one I was really hoping to hear an answer to:

What's Viz's stance on sub-only releases for more niche titles, like Neuro and/or Cross Game?

At numerous cons in the past couple of years the most we would get from Viz about that question would be a vague "Maybe" at the absolute most. With this new focus on anime I was curious if Viz was going to consider to go sub-only for the shows that are too risky to dub (like what Sentai still does occasionally), or is dual-audio-only Viz's focus, especially with Neon Alley being a big focus. Maybe one day I'll get an answer to that...
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
sam6782 wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

They are talking about their anime titles/division, so your argument of referring to Reborn! doesn't work in this case and should be taken up with their manga division/ Shonen Jump...

I'm pretty sure they meant overall regardless. But if you want to be strictly anime, Monster and just about a dozen other animes they left unreleased would fill in this case.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Pre-ordering is great and all but lets be honest. The best thing a fan can do is [expletive] pray Viz doesn't license anything you care about. Sorry, I appreciate them coming on ANNcast but they're pretty full of it. This is the same company that still doesn't stream to Canada. And then they have the gall to talk about wanting to "reach the widest audience possible"? Come on. Viz does what Viz does not because "it's a business" but because they just don't give a shit when something doesn't bring in Bleach level returns.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I want to know if they are finally going to fully release the hikaru no go and monster animes. We all know they have them and they are completely dubbed and subbed.

If they want me personally to see them as serious about releasing everything then they should release those in season sets.

Also since Hunter x Hunter and Monster have gotten new shows (or ones coming soon) for them, that have renewed interest in the series.

Also I would love to see a subbed only releases for cross games and the neuro manga.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Pre-ordering is great and all but lets be honest. The best thing a fan can do is [expletive] pray Viz doesn't license anything you care about. Sorry, I appreciate them coming on ANNcast but they're pretty full of it. This is the same company that still doesn't stream to Canada. And then they have the gall to talk about wanting to "reach the widest audience possible"? Come on. Viz does what Viz does not because "it's a business" but because they just don't give a shit when something doesn't bring in Bleach level returns.

I completely agree with this. I've seen too many manga and animes go on indefinite hiatuses because they weren't "selling well enough." I want to know what their term of "selling well enough" means, exactly. Bleach numbers? Naruto numbers?
sam6782

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
sam6782 wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

I'm pretty sure they meant overall regardless. But if you want to be strictly anime, Monster and just about a dozen other animes they left unreleased would fill in this case.

No, it was mainly anime hence why there were no manga related questions asked. As much as I like Monster and Prince of Tennis,etc they just did not sell well or enough to keep going, simple as that.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Uh, it's been years since they last dropped a show. I can't think of a single show they've dropped since Monster.

The VIZ of today is much different. They actually do finish what they start now (When it comes to anime that is).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Ranma 1/2 is going to be a gold mine simply because it was never on mainstream TV, and it came before fansubs really become popular. I remember getting Ranma 1/2 by going to some locker thing online at 3:00 AM and then downloading a bunch of episodes before the locker reached its download limit. Ranma 1/2 main interest is in the historical context of the western fandom were it was one of the first manga to be scanslated (by a some Ranma hentai newsgroup), and it had one of the first fairly decent dub (in particular the English Genma was a lot easier to listen to than the Japanese version who was just obnoxious) I think the people who are going to buy Ranma 1/2 are people like me who remember the anime fondly but had no money in the late 90's and early 2000s.

I think Viz would make money on it but I doubt if it would be on par with a major release today. It would probably be on par with one of Discotek's big hits like Samurai Pizza Cat.
RTL3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I'm really glad Monster is open to be released by someone else. Personally for longer shows I look into whether I can actually get the whole thing before buying, because I hate having only half a show sitting on my shelf. So the answer we got basically tells me that unless Set 1 of show X sells well, don't expect a Set 2. Does the apply to later collections? if Monster Set 3 didn't sell would we still get more? Then I just like to marathon stuff, so I will usually wait until most or all of something is out so I can watch it all at once. I was going to buy Monster, I wanted to support it, but I'm really glad I didn't now. I hope it gets picked up one day.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I completely agree with this. I've seen too many manga and animes go on indefinite hiatuses because they weren't "selling well enough." I want to know what their term of "selling well enough" means, exactly. Bleach numbers? Naruto numbers?

Most of the series I have gotten from them have been hit by this (Inubaka, hikaru no go anime, neuro (not getting the manga), cross games, children of the sea, and others).

However lets be fair a lot of the above are not that popular and reborn and gintama might be very strong japanese titles with small US presence (I saying this as a detective conan/case closed fan). there is very little chance these are actually breaking even probably. that said they should release what they have translated digitally at the very least.

I actually understand what they are talking about with neon alley and what they wanted it to be.

EDIT: I am sorry I did not know that you no longer had the liscnese for monster.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast! I'm sorry to hear what happened with Monster, even though I wasn't into it, I'm sure it would've done well. At least maybe another R1 company can take the chance to put it out in a different release format (like in shorter parts).

I really do hope they would put out Ramna 1/2, Maison Ikkoku and Hikaru no Go back in print again. I missed out on those three. However, I doubt anyone would want to release Urusei Yatsura here again. But never say never. Wink
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry Zac, but I just can NOT listen to these podcasts. You guys all smack your lips and say "Uhh" and "Ya know" WAAAAAY too much. I can barely make it through 5 minutes of that annoying stuff before wanting to take a drill to my temple. Mad

In the future, could you perhaps be a little more conscious of stuff like that? Please? Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7