• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wizard of Oz anime & cartoon confusion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
So far, the only Oz anime I know of is the one talked about here, the 'Oz no Mahotsukai'movie.

However, the encyclopedia link in there show a picture from the Canadian made 'Wonderful Wizard of Oz' TV-series, which despite its looks, is not anime. Credits for that are as follows:

THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ
Release date: 1987
Description: Series of fifty-two 23 minute episodes
based on "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz", "The
Marvelous Land of Oz", "Ozma of Oz", and
"The Emerald City of Oz". Edited to four
93 minute video tapes, one each four the four books.
Production company: Cinar Films, Inc. (Canada)
Executive Producer: Micheline Charest and Ronald Weinberg
Producer: Ronald Weinberg
Director: Tim Reid
Screenwriter: Don Arioli and Tim Reid
Cinematographer: Ian MacGillvray

Distributor: Lightyear Entertainment
Narrator: Margot Kidder
Length: 93 minutes (four each)
Cast: Morgan Hallet (Dorothy), George Morris (Tin Woodman), Neil Shee
(Cowardly Lion), Richard Dumont (Scarecrow)

Source

In short: the title and staff of the stand-alone 'Oz no Mahotuskai' anime movie has the picture and episode listing of the Canadian 'Wonderful Wizard of Oz' TV-series. I can't really vouch for the other info though. People have probably also added incorrect alternate voice casts based on the picture, so you might want to have someone check those as well.

I spent an evening to find out how things actually are, so I hope this made some sense ^^;;
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
I was entering licensing info for Chinese (Taiwan) companies one title after another, and after seeing this everyone would know it's The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, which redirected me to this entry. However, a remark for a picture hidden by a staff (see below) quoted this 4-year-old thread for the reason why it was hidden: "...from the Canadian made 'Wonderful Wizard of Oz' TV-series."

Dejiko wrote:
So far, the only Oz anime I know of is the one talked about here, the 'Oz no Mahotsukai'movie.

However, the encyclopedia link in there show a picture from the Canadian made 'Wonderful Wizard of Oz' TV-series, which despite its looks, is not anime.

I'm afraid what you said was not true. All sources I've found have told me the TV series was aired between 1986-10-06 to 1987-09-28, with half an hour per episode. This couldn't fit in the description below: four 93-minute tapes. With modern power of broadband Internet, it is not difficult to find the original Japanese opening at YouTube (that specific video was recorded from the NHK BS2 broadcast in June 2003). Power International Multimedia (PIM) also provided the opening animation with traditional Chinese subtitles.

Dejiko wrote:
Credits for that are as follows:

THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ
Release date: 1987
Description: Series of fifty-two 23 minute episodes
based on "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz", "The
Marvelous Land of Oz", "Ozma of Oz", and
"The Emerald City of Oz". Edited to four
93 minute video tapes
, one each four the four books.
Production company: Cinar Films, Inc. (Canada)
Executive Producer: Micheline Charest and Ronald Weinberg
Producer: Ronald Weinberg
Director: Tim Reid
Screenwriter: Don Arioli and Tim Reid
Cinematographer: Ian MacGillvray

Distributor: Lightyear Entertainment
Narrator: Margot Kidder
Length: 93 minutes (four each)
Cast: Morgan Hallet (Dorothy), George Morris (Tin Woodman), Neil Shee
(Cowardly Lion), Richard Dumont (Scarecrow)

Source

So what exactly are those "four 93 minute video tapes" above? Note "edit to" at the beginning of the underlined text. Thanks to this dedicated fan site, I highly suspect the Canadian release was translated from the abridged edition released by Itoman Home Video, which has 90 minutes per tape of four tapes. The complete, unabridged edition on VHS tapes was very expensive (¥49,400 in 2002, plus 5% tax = ¥51,870) and is no longer available due to the end of VHS era and Toshiba EMI closing down. Right now the only way to obtain the complete series is through PIM, and the webmaster of that fan site has mentioned it as well.

Dejiko wrote:
In short: the title and staff of the stand-alone 'Oz no Mahotuskai' anime movie has the picture and episode listing of the Canadian 'Wonderful Wizard of Oz' TV-series.

Out of curiosity and for the purpose of more confirmations, I tried to look up for information regarding the 1982 movie with a Dorothy in blond ponytail, but info in Japanese were even more scarce. I couldn't even find the date of premiere (if any) and video release of it in Japan; all I could find was the soundtrack of the movie was written by Joe Hisaishi. Shocked The page with the TV series info above also has the spec of the movie:

Quote:
OZU NO MAHOTSUKAI
Release date: 1982 (Japan) 1983 (US)
Description: Animated film based on "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz".
Production company: Toho Co. Ltd./Alan Enterprises
Executive producer: Yoshimitsu Banno and Katsumi Ueno (Japan)
Alan L. Gleitsman (US)
Producer: John Danylkiw
Director: Fumihiko Takayama (Japan)
John Danylkiw (US)
Music: Jo Hisaishi
Lyrics: Sammy Cahn and Allen Byrns
Editor: Johann Lowenberg
Cast: (voices in US version) Aileen Quinn (Dorothy), Lorne Green
(Wizard), John Stocker (Tin Woodman), Billy Van (Scarecrow),
Thick Wilson (Cowardly Lion), Elizabeth Hanna (Wicked Witch
of the West), Wendy Thatcher (Glinda)
Available on VHS video

Surprisingly, Amazon.com can still find this old VHS circulating.

Dejiko wrote:
I spent an evening to find out how things actually are, so I hope this made some sense ^^;;

Well I spent two nights: one for digging up all the info by visiting 20+ websites, and one for typing and proofreading this post. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
Hurray for dormcat, Hero of Anime Archeology! (or is it Anime Forensics?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
(or is it Anime Forensics?)

I did consider forensics as a possible career, but they wanted younger recruits freshly graduated from college. Rolling Eyes

Further searches revealed more interesting facts:

1. The fact that Cinar wiped out the Japanese origin of the series has already been widely known.
2. Cinar even produced a completely new opening for the English dub, with some primitive 3D animation.
3. I can't believe that Lightyear / Warner Bros. released the abridged edition on DVD in 2004. Neutral
4. Clips of the Hebrew dub can be found on YouTube; guess it's time to add Hebrew option.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Believe it's the same one as still currently airing on ThisTV in NA (for those switched over to Digital who can get the new local sub-affiliates).
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing bits of this over 15 years ago. Nostalgia of anime. Dan, I'd say dormcat is Hero of Anime Archaeology.
tyciol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
Could there be a third "wizard of oz" anime besides the 1982 film and the 1986 TV series?

I came across http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDrlvY6Izbo which says "anime" in the title. It has english voice acting, but it has the feel of a dub to it.

The animation style isn't what I would call standard anime but it has that kind of feel to it, which makes me wonder...

Would anyone happen to know where this one was produced?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
tyciol wrote:
Could there be a third "wizard of oz" anime besides the 1982 film and the 1986 TV series?

I came across http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDrlvY6Izbo which says "anime" in the title. It has english voice acting, but it has the feel of a dub to it.

The animation style isn't what I would call standard anime but it has that kind of feel to it, which makes me wonder...

Would anyone happen to know where this one was produced?

An image search of screencap @ 2:32 gave me this: Cartoon Craze Presents: The Wizard of Oz and Friends, UPC 872322002303 (with this you can find it on Amazon, Tower, eBay, or any other online retailer with UPC search), released on April 4, 2004 by a company named Digiview Productions, which has a (probably abandoned) website but without The Wizard of Oz and Friends in its catalog.

The character designs and animation techniques were heavily influenced by Japanese animation, but at this moment there's no further credit info to ascertain if it was animated by Japanese animators.

On a separate note: That "dedicated fan site" I mentioned above disappeared due to its host AAA!cafe closing down in 2011. Fortunately there's another Japanese page with screencaps and detailed information of Toho's Oz no Mahōtsukai. Man, the credits were stellar; I might add this to the Encyclopedia.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh. My. God.

http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/en/film/detail.php?id=162

Yes, this is part of the big "fairy tale" chaos I'm working on......
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I was briefly confused by the differing art styles, till I realised you meant specifically the third one the tyciol brought up. Matching(ish) frame for reference: https://youtu.be/lDrlvY6Izbo?t=228

I wonder why it has a separate film page on the English site, but is lumped in with Märchen Ōkoku on the Japanese site?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I was briefly confused by the differing art styles, till I realised you meant specifically the third one the tyciol brought up. Matching(ish) frame for reference: https://youtu.be/lDrlvY6Izbo?t=228

Turn out it was one of 20 episodes of World Famous Fairy Tale Series (世界名作童話 まんがシリーズ or 世界名作童話館). I've moved the Japanese credits to their correct entries, but I haven't got a chance to verify credits in English, German, or Tagalog. Fortunately the Italian credits for Le favole più belle is readily online and has THE common mistake of taking the 1988 TV Tokyo broadcast (condensing 10 minutes x 20 episodes into 4 "episodes," most likely an hourly slot of 4 x ~50 minutes each) as its original format.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
I wonder why it has a separate film page on the English site, but is lumped in with Märchen Ōkoku on the Japanese site?

They were not "lumped in;" the English page of Märchen Ōkoku (TV series of 1995, when Internet and WWW was already widespread, although not as convenient as today) is here, using completely different screencaps from the summary (about Aladdin). On the other hand, the page of anime#1038 simply doesn't exist in Toei's lineup in Japanese.

To make things more confusing, there are at least two more fairy tale collections: one was produced in 1988-90 and is already in the Encyclopedia; its Jack (and the Beanstalk) has a rather funny look with a duck in his right arm. It even has DVD re-releases; each re-release seems to have a different title for the collection. Rolling Eyes

The other one (which I'm working on while typing this reply) is yet another collection of 24 or 30 episodes called 世界名作童話全集 back in VHS days and 名作童話大全集 in DVD, although it keeps the same English title "Fairy Tale Special Selection," released merely two months earlier than #17602 in a 3-episodes-per-month fashion. The Jack (and the Beanstalk) of this version has a more serious look (eyes to the sky above), has a small blue hat, and a harp in his right arm.

What bugs me is the episode count: Media Arts DB and Anison Generation has 24 episodes but the DVD has 30 episodes (with 3D rendered characters on the cover). How do I know they are the same series? Thanks to Surugaya and this blog. This series has some stellar cast like Ikue Ōtani, late Rokurō Naya, and Kikuko Inoue (featuring a short English lesson after each episode Shocked ).

I've sorted them into a table:

Then I noticed something strange: with the exception of Pinocchio, 5 out of 6 "missing" episodes were based on Aesop's Fables. The director Yōichirō Shimatani along with Miyuki Production do have another series immediately following this one. Thanks to a Yahoo! Japan auction record with photo of VHS spines, I can now conclude that Peter Pan was the missing ep 7 of Media Arts DB (hence the red font) and Aesop's Fables should be in the following series instead.

Phew.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1