• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do I join the Encyclopedia staff?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Mob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Aparently their on vacation the last 6 months or so, because when ever I try to add new manga there never added . Also there are mistakes on certain series I like but I don't have the power to correct them I guess if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
First, there are many, many titles that have yet to be formally added. When you submit something, it goes to the bottom of the list and the staff will get around to it. As far as joining the Encyclopedia staff, there's no application process or anything, and asking to join probably won't get you anywhere either. For such positions, you don't choose it, you're chosen. There are people with thousands of Encyclopedia submissions who aren't on the staff.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
King Mob, don't take this personally, but judging by the grammatical content of your post, I don't think you qualify to be an Encyclopedia Staff member.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
King Mob wrote:
Also there are mistakes on certain series I like but I don't have the power to correct them

For the record: there's no error report submitted by you pending for correction. Furthermore, with only 31 valid submissions (not including one borderline spamming for NTHT) and five posts, we have no idea whether you are suitable for the job or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
King Mob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand how writing a short explanation in the trivia section about the meaning of the statement that they show before the beginning of every ep of NTHT is considered spamming. If this list you mention is as long as you say it is don't you need more people working on it than? As for the error reporting I didn't bother writing up a report because it can't be easily don't without going into great detail
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
King Mob wrote:
I don't understand how writing a short explanation in the trivia section about the meaning of the statement that they show before the beginning of every ep of NTHT is considered spamming.

Okay, since you've started the subject, let's take a look at what you have written:

In the trivia section of Now and Then, Here and There, King Mob once wrote:
Scientist estimate that the universe is about 10 billion years old. In this amount of time countless planets, stars and lifeforms were created and gone extinct. We as human have only been here for a blink of an eye as far is the universe is concerned. Our lives are short and we are fragile but we waste so much time on things that don't matter like war. But our struggles define us and make us stronger.

The first two sentence were basically correct (a better estimate would be ~15 billion years), yet, it's barely related to this title. It's like writing a trivia "Japanese high schools call their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year students ichinensei, ninensei, and sannensei, corresponding 10th, 11th, and 12th grades in American system, respectively" for every campus-themed anime, or "samurai is the Japanese equivalent of European knights, and bushido is roughly the Japanese equivalent of chivalry" for samurai-themed titles. They are facts, but they are just...barely related facts. No need for "master of the obvious" here.

Starting from the third sentence ("we as human...") there's no more "trivia" but your personal opinions and feelings after watching this title instead. Writing personal reviews in the trivia section is considered as borderline spam.

King Mob wrote:
If this list you mention is as long as you say it is don't you need more people working on it than? As for the error reporting I didn't bother writing up a report because it can't be easily don't without going into great detail

We do have been considering recruiting more people, however, like I said in my previous post, you have yet demonstrated your capability. No offense, but with your current record, there are dozens, if not hundreds, more suitable candidates than you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
King Mob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
Well no one knows for sure how old the earth is also a debate on the subject would be pointless... It never said you couldn't give personal opinions it just that I had to post a fact. You call what I said a review? It's just a comment on the current state of humanity
dormcat wrote:

Starting from the third sentence ("we as human...") there's no more "trivia" but your personal opinions and feelings after watching this title instead. Writing personal reviews in the trivia section is considered as borderline spam.

PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
King Mob wrote:
Our lives are short and we are fragile but we waste so much time on things that don't matter like war. But our struggles define us and make us stronger.

All of that's a personal opinion. Not saying that it's a bad opinion and that I don't agree with you, but it is an opinion.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
Regardless of which, comments and personal opinions have no place on the Trivia section, King Mob.

BTW, it's spelled Invisible, NOT "Invisable."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
King Mob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:57 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Regardless of which, comments and personal opinions have no place on the Trivia section, King Mob.

BTW, it's spelled Invisible, NOT "Invisable."

It would be great if the trivia section said that.
this is a forum not a article so one shouldn't expect everything to be perfect.

thanks grammer Nazi someone told me about that but I decided to keep it that way
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:48 am Reply with quote
King Mob wrote:
thanks grammer Nazi someone told me about that but I decided to keep it that way

Why?

Also, it helps to read the Important Information for Contributors thread before posting anything on the Encyclopedia.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
King Mob wrote:

Actually, the forum rules state...

Teh Rules wrote:
we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
King Mob wrote:

Teh Rules wrote:

Actually... some of the staff expect that. I just hope for it. What I expect is idiocy. And I'm seldom disappointed.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
one3rd wrote:
King Mob wrote:

Teh Rules wrote:

Actually... some of the staff expect that. I just hope for it. What I expect is idiocy. And I'm seldom disappointed.

- abunai

You must not have been disappointed with the forums much this last week, then. Especially this weekend.
King Mob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
With rules like that I'll try my best not disturb the perfection of these forum by posting here as little as possiable. I was just so use to most sites like this (manganews & animeinfo) adding submited info within a few hours or days that I thought that you guys were understaffed because I submited the D-ash manga like 3+ months ago as well as one other manga and it's still not up
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2