• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The worst parents in anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
Not all anime parents are like Maes Hughes.

Hayate's Parents- Hayate the Combat Butler- Compared to everyone else I'm going to rant about, these people are pure evil.

Maka's Mother- Soul Eater- Everyone makes Spirit out to be a terrible father, but who's really the bad parent? The adulterer or the woman who left her daughter with the adulterer?

Kogoro Mouri- Detective Conan- He screams at Conan, berates him, throws him across the room, strikes him, and exposes him to unsanitary living conditions.

spoiler[Holland]- Eureka Seven- I put that in spoilers because it happens late in the series. Even though his parenting is never shown, would you really trust this guy to raise a child? With how he treated Renton the first half of the series (using him as his own personal punching bag when he has a bad day), forgive me for not suspending my disbelief.

Kushina Uzumaki- Naruto- She's not the worst parent on this list, but she's far from Mother of the Year either. Any parent who punches her child for little reason without explanation doesn't deserve children. Not to mention she pretty much decided Naruto's future for him. "spoiler[Marry a girl just like me]," anybody? I know they have their heartwarming moments, especially in "Road to Ninja," but it's hard to look at them without thinking about the possibility that spoiler[her abuse towards Menma was most likely why he turned evil].

Misae Nohara- Crayon Shin-chan- Shin isn't the perfect child, but she handles her problems with him with the maturity of a 12-year-old. For Christ's sake, he's five! Are you really going to expect him to know everything? There was even one episode where she literally hit Shin for something she knew Hima did. I hope this woman has her children taken from her.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Ignoring the ones who are bad parents because you're supposed to hate them like the homeless girl's parents in Elfen Lied, I'll mention-

spoiler[HH] from Sunday without God beats the crap out of his daughter (who is admittedly gamesharking her DEF stat), sometimes for the sake of scene transition.

I also feel Gendo Ikari should be here but I really don't want to start an arguement. And Gendo Ikari ALWAYS starts an arguement on forums
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

spoiler[Holland]- Eureka Seven- I put that in spoilers because it happens late in the series. Even though his parenting is never shown, would you really trust this guy to raise a child? With how he treated Renton the first half of the series (using him as his own personal punching bag when he has a bad day), forgive me for not suspending my disbelief.

I disagree with this one. Many people think other children/kids are the spawns of the devil. But they treat their own like angels. So how he treated Renton has zero correlation with how he would treat his kids.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
What about Hanekawa's parents in the now-running Monogatari? She's 17 years old and has never had a room of her own and always had to sleep in the hallway. Araragi of all people fled in terror after just looking into her house.

I woldn't call her a "worst" parent but Yubaba in Spirited Away is way over-indulgent. Chihiro's parents are probably pretty OK but nobody could like what they turned into when their inner natures were revealed by eating spirit-world food.

Jun's parents in Rozen Maiden don't get any points for dumping responsibility for their younger kid onto his older sister. Especially when this kid is showing signs of mental illness and is completely untreated.

I'll think of more later.

Edit: I did think of one more who could be a contender for "worst." Kagura's mother in Speed Grapher. She intentionally starves her daughter for no particular reason other than for amusement -- even going so far as foiling the house maids from giving her a bento box and telling the chauffeur that they can't stop anywhere on the way to school -- much less loan her money to get even a snack. As for what Kagura is used for in the night --- never mind.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I hardly remember it but didn't Jinki involve a terrible mother? Maybe somebody who remembers it more than I do can elaborate or deny.

Oh, and on that note, PRECIA FREAKIN TESTAROSSA.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I disagree with this one. Many people think other children/kids are the spawns of the devil. But they treat their own like angels. So how he treated Renton has zero correlation with how he would treat his kids.

I disagree as well. I see him treating his child how he treated Eureka, which was pretty much like a princess, I believe Renton was a one off case due to spoiler[Holland's past with Renton's sister]. Even if his attitude turned back to how it was with Renton, Talho would put him in his place before it even started.

Atsuro Masaki (Masakazu Masaki's father) from Time of Eve. The man lied to his son for most of his life and let him believe that his robot stopped talking to him because he broke, spoiler[leaving out the part about him ordering to never speak again]. This may not sound like heinous thing to do but from what we learn in the last episode spoiler[Masakazu has struggled with this throughout his childhood]. Plus Atsuro never seems to be there for his son as he is too busy leading the spoiler[Ethics Committee].

These two examples are from manga's but they have or will have a like action film and deserve to be on this list:

Morishige's Father from Limit. Although we do not see much of him we know he has left his daughter psychologically traumatised after constant spoiler[physical abuse and beatings to both Morishige and her mother].

Mitsuko Souma's Mother and Stepfather from Battle Royale We know she was spoiler[raped and molested by her stepfather, whilst being told to "take the love"]. Her mother spoiler[took money from 3 men so they could rape her daughter whist video taping the event], her mother did something similar for a second time. Both her stepfather and mother also spoiler[physically abused her.]

Last edited by TsunaReborn! on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Worst parents? That would probably be in a Rumiko Takahashi series, where all moms are lethal iron butterflies, and all dads are spineless frauds.

In UY, both the Moroboshis and Invaders have their roosts ruled by ruthless housewife efficiency, while one dad hides behind his paper, and the the other blusters without bite. Over at the Mendous, we have a dad whose oddness can be hazardous to his son's health, and a mom who, yes, rules with ruthless traditional efficiency.
In Ranma 1/2, while Mr. Tendo is a relatively cool dad and the mom was reportedly perfect, we have Mr. Saotome as a dad who lets his son do all the hard martial arts work (and turns into a panda and plays with a tire in the face of danger), and Mrs. Saotome, whose sweet nature hides a seppuku sword if the dad even hints at failure.
And in Maison Ikkoku, Rumiko let her full childhood tantrums rage, with Kyoko's ruthlessly scheming/manipulating Mom, and her spineless lackey Dad. (Albeit taking more interest in their child than Godai's restaurant-running parents, who complain about his showing up for vacation.)

Even without Ryuunusuke & Dad, one rather suspects the author had issues... Rolling Eyes
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Really guys!?

Shou Tucker from FMA wins this HANDS DOWN.

Quote:
spoiler[[HH] from Sunday without God beats the crap out of his daughter (who is admittedly gamesharking her DEF stat), sometimes for the sake of scene transition.

He doesn't count!! He didn't know she was his!! D:
........and I wouldn't say he "beat the crap" out of her....because she was not hurt. He DID keep her safe when she needed it though. So I can't agree he's a bad dad. He's not the BEST dad...but he doesn't deserve to be on a "worst parents" list. Faaaaaaaar from it.

Quote:
Maka's Mother- Soul Eater

Fffffffffff I roll my eyes and hand you MEDUSA instead.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Really guys!?

Quote:
spoiler[[HH] from Sunday without God beats the crap out of his daughter (who is admittedly gamesharking her DEF stat), sometimes for the sake of scene transition.

He doesn't count!! He didn't know she was his!! D:.

that's a terrible excuse
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Gendo Ikari yet. I mean, seriously, the way he emotionally murders Shinji throughout the course of the series is enough to make one want to report him to child services.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Gendo Ikari yet. I mean, seriously, the way he emotionally murders Shinji throughout the course of the series is enough to make one want to report him to child services.

Look at Bango's first post
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
that's a terrible excuse

How is that a terrible excuse!? Would you not treat a kid that you knew was yours BETTER than a stranger's kid who was annoying you?

I sure as hell would.

.........of course I don't like kids very much. :'D
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Gia's List has done a column on this subject, though it only included terrible parents from recent shows.

I'll add Chagum's father from Moribito. Attempting, multiple times, to kill your own child lands him near the top of my personal 'terrible parents' list.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
I disagree on the Mikado from Moribito, as there were extenuating circumstances there. (He honestly thought, until proof was shown to him to the contrary, that what was in his son was a threat to the whole empire.)

If you want to see truly awful parents in action, just watch Shigofumi. One parent was jailed for child abuse; a second absolved any parental responsibility beyond support payments in order to be with her "boy toy" and declared that she only had her daughter because she wanted, once in her life, to have that experience; a third was killed after sexually exploiting his teenage daughter and planning to do the same to his elementary school-aged daughter.

Sankarea also has some real gems on the negative side, though it also has a gem on the positive side, too. (Being a bad enough parent to drive your daughter to suicide certainly racks up major points here.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Shou Tucker from FMA wins this HANDS DOWN.

Quote:
Maka's Mother- Soul Eater

Fffffffffff I roll my eyes and hand you MEDUSA instead.

Yeah, IMO those are worst parents in anime. I would actually say that Medusa is worse, despite what Tucker does to his daughter. Medusa proves that abusing a child enough not only is harmful to the child, but that kid can then in turn spread disaster to other people as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4