• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime on Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, here we go another upgrade for modern technology that will force people to keep buying that same movies over and over. "Because we have to make it better!"

Actually I just got through reading an article on this a couple of days ago. Two formats 'Blu-Ray' and HD DVD.

It was only a matter of time.

Of course you'll realize people won't be able to play these discs until they release the hardware to play them

Tis the way of the technological world. Razz

Last edited by Chrno2 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
[Yawn] I'm not going anywhere near it until someone finds a way to neuter all the DRM in it. I don't buy what I can't control.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Agreed about the DRM, but I'm also not bothering until the format war is over and until I get an HDTV television, which won't be for quite some time yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Hardware for both Blu-ray and HD DVD are due out this year.

Also, the PlayStation 3 will come equipped with a Blu-ray drive.

Since most hollywood studios are backing both formats, I see all movies coming out on either Blu-ray or HD DVD, and then also on regular DVD.

I mean, they are still putting out movies on VHS. Perhaps they should wait for one deprecated format to die off before trying to kill another.

I give the format war two years. By then, one format will reign supreme, or both will fail. I'm hoping for the later (and I think it can happen, as I believe the whole "HDTV" thing isn't nearly as popular as companies are claiming), but if one does win, I hope it's HD DVD.

As stated, Blu-ray has horrible, horrible built in DRM. Not that HD-DVD lacks any kind of protection method, but they don't go to the extremes that Blu-ray does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
animaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I hate DRM! Mad

Anyway yes blu ray will be on ps3 and hd-dvd is supposed to work on xbox and I plan to buy both and already have an hd tv. Blu ray seems to be the best especially for we anime fans because from what I hear we are going to be in the same region as japan! I just wish it'd be as cheap as dvd tech has gotten I mean you know these players are gonna be expensive and same with the discs but dvds are like 10-20$ and the players sometimes are that cheap also! But I seriously doubt that with this new tech.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I predict a huge major flop.
Its to early to do a major shift of tech. No reason to hell dvds are still new and just now already becoming the standard for movies. Other then Data I dont see a reason for bluray or even HD dvd. Most people I know dont even have a HD tv or plan to buy one unless there old tv craps out like me I dont plan to buy a new tv until my old one craps out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
how much more does Blu-ray hold than dvd?

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
how much does Blu-ray hold than dvd?
irc something like 25 gig on single layer and 50 on dual layer.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
how much does Blu-ray hold than dvd?
irc something like 25 gig on single layer and 50 on dual layer.

Yup, but the thing is Blu-Ray (potentially) will be able to encompass more then just dual layers. I believe TDK was the first to develop the 100 gig, 4 layer Blu-ray disc while Sony was the first to develop the 200 gig, 8 layer disc.
.hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
I see this as being the Beta vs. VHS situation all over again....
Demaar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
As far as DRM is concerned, HD-DVD seems to be the way to go. Apparently the reason why they couldn't come to an agreement on a unified format is because HD-DVD has a number of legal copies you can do, while Blu-ray has no such feature.
Apparently Sony wasn't too keen on giving users the ability to make legal copies, and oddly this is why MS supports HD-DVD.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well, here we go another upgrade for modern technology that will force people to keep buying that same movies over an over

Well, on most current DVD players I can still play my old CD's from two decades ago. I don't see why I won't be able to play today's DVD's on future players decades from now. Dependability and longevity has actually improved with some of the newer technology, esp. compared to the VHS days when you sometimes had to re-buy the same movie on the same format after it got damaged in your VCR.

xstylus wrote:
[Yawn] I'm not going anywhere near it until someone finds a way to neuter all the DRM in it. I don't buy what I can't control.

DVD's were cracked because they had very weak encryption by today's standards. The newer formats will be much more difficult to crack. OS and hardware vendors are getting in on the act to help ensure that protected content stays that way.

Tenchi wrote:
Agreed about the DRM, but I'm also not bothering until the format war is over and until I get an HDTV television, which won't be for quite some time yet.

It's possible that both HD-DVD and BD will exist for years to come. Nobody seemed to learn much from the VHS vs. Betamax wars. The potential royalites from owning the patent to the eventual leading format are just too attractive to companies like Sony and Toshiba. Consumer needs are the last consideration.

cyrax777 wrote:
I predict a huge major flop. Its to early to do a major shift of tech. No reason to hell dvds are still new and just now already becoming the standard for movies. Other then Data I don't see a reason for bluray or even HD dvd. Most people I know don't even have a HD tv or plan to buy one unless there old tv craps out like me I don't plan to buy a new tv until my old one craps out.

We'll probably end up with some competing standards, just like how the rampant success of the Playstation 2 still wasn't able to kill off the original XBOX. The companies that are backing these formats are just too large to let them die easily. Also, even though DVD's looked great a few years ago, they look surprisingly poor compared to some of the higher-end HDTV content. Video content will continue to look better until we arrive at terabyte-level media.

Kazuki-san wrote:
Yup, but the thing is Blu-Ray (potentially) will be able to encompass more then just dual layers. I believe TDK was the first to develop the 100 gig, 4 layer Blu-ray disc while Sony was the first to develop the 200 gig, 8 layer disc.

Just because somebody accomplishes something in a lab or releases it to the professional market doesn't mean that it will be released as a consumer product. There are digital VCR's than can record HDTV content, but how many of them do you see in most stores today? Consumer BD's will probably max out around 50GB and HD-DVD's will be roughly half of that. Compared to the mid 1990's when we went from 1.4MB floppy disks to 650MB compact discs, this is a very small increase in percentage terms. Imagine going from a 10GB DVD to a 4,000GB BD. Now *that* would be a similar increase.

Demaar wrote:
As far as DRM is concerned, HD-DVD seems to be the way to go. Apparently the reason why they couldn't come to an agreement on a unified format is because HD-DVD has a number of legal copies you can do, while Blu-ray has no such feature. Apparently Sony wasn't too keen on giving users the ability to make legal copies, and oddly this is why MS supports HD-DVD.

1. Neither format is 100% standardized just yet. They could both end up with nearly the same restrictions in the end.
2. Under US law, you can only make a legal copy if it doesn't involve breaking any DRM measures. Since all future DRM systems will prevent most forms of copying, there will no longer be such a thing as a "legal copy" in the US. At least, that's how I read the current laws.
3. You didn't explain why MS would be concerned about letting consumers make copies. I'm sure MS has their reasons for supporting HD-DVD (namely that they already have most of the code written for such support as I understand it), but why it would be related to letting consumers make copies doesn't make any sense to me and it also doesn't match up with Microsoft's past history.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Betamax still exists. It's platform has largly been updated right up to the current 1080 HDTV format but the cassettes are virtually the same size and shape and are used in nearly every studio and TV broadcasting facility round the world today. Wink
Puppy Puncher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I think it'd be pretty convenient to buy a whole series (Ex: Mobile Suit Gundam) and have it on much fewer disks.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Puppy Puncher wrote:
I think it'd be pretty convenient to buy a whole series (Ex: Mobile Suit Gundam) and have it on much fewer disks.
I don't follow you. Most anime companies don't even fill up their current DVD's, so why would they fill up the next format that can hold several times more information? My guess is that they won't. Even non-anime companies often release multi-DVD sets when they could have just put everything on one double-layer, double-sided DVD that held 18GB of content. But, I've yet to see anyone do that with any of my movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2